Leica Summarit 90mm f2.4

wolan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I have recently sold my APO 90mm f2 Asph to buy the new APO Summicron 35mm CF.

The 90 Summicron was a cool lens, but I have not used much as it was too big and I tended to leave it at home in favour of other lenses.

Now I am looking for an alternative with the following characteristics:

- Nice bokeh

- very sharp as close to the APO Summicron as possible

- compact

I have found a couple of alternatives:

- Summicron 90mm f2 Pre-asph

- Summarit 90mm f2.4

I think I'll go for the 90mm f2.4, what do you think of this lens? The Summarit f2.5 is an older version? 

Cheers.

From what I hear those are all good lenses, though another option is the APO-Skopar 90mm f/2.8. Very compact and 100g lighter than the Summarit 90mm f/2.4...

Edited by 105012
  • Like 2

I second mumu's thoughts.

I have the older f2.5 version but their rendering is - to all intents and purposes - identical and it is a great lens. I also have the v3 Summicron and the 'thin' f2.8 Tele-Elmar-M and if asked to choose just one to keep it would be the Summarit. It does everything superbly in a small, light package.

I believe the main difference between the f2.4 and f2.5 is that the f2.4 focusses to 3 feet whereas the f2.5 focusses to 3.5 feet (according to Edwin Puts both are actually f2.4).

Philip.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, wolan said:

Summarit 90mm f2.4

I went true the same process with different 90's apo non-apo, Leica, CV

At the end the winner was a Summarit 90 2.4.

the APO and Pre apo were too heavy, and unpredictable to focus, The Voigtlander was a little soft at 2.8.

2.4 vs 2.5? no big difference, few little updates, I think 2.4 focus is 10 cm closer.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Photoworks:

I went true the same process with different 90's apo non-apo, Leica, CV

At the end the winner was a Summarit 90 2.4.

the APO and Pre apo were too heavy, and unpredictable to focus, The Voigtlander was a little soft at 2.8.

2.4 vs 2.5? no big difference, few little updates, I think 2.4 focus is 10 cm closer.

The image quality is exactly the same. No significant difference between the Summarit 2.5 and 2.4

No complaints at all about the excellent performance of my Summarit f2.4 (nor with my 75mm f2.5).  What does irk slightly is the lens-hood arrangement with the thread protection ring and two caps.  Leaving the hood on permanently does result in a somewhat long assembly when it comes to finding space in the bag.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wolan said:

The 90 Summicron was a cool lens, but I have not used much as it was too big and I tended to leave it at home in favour of other lenses.

The 90 Summicron pre-ASPH v.3 is almost as heavy as the APO (real-world 480g vs. 495g - except for the very early production v. with E49 filter size and a lens hood that covered the aperture ring when retracted - 450g or so)

The even earlier 90 Summicron pre-ASPHs v.1 & 2 (pre-1980) are even larger and heavier. 660g or more.

So for a 90 that is smaller and lighter, but still exceeds f/2.8, the Summarits are about the only game in town.

• Thanks 1

Spectacular lens!

I just received it from Kamerastore in Finland, I did a few tests and I like it a lot. Thanks to all who shared their comments.

By the way, all Summarits are that good??

Have a nice week

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 6:58 AM, mumu said:

Go for the Summarit 2.4/90. I had it for years with my M—cameras and the results are spectacular.

+1

I have 2.5 Summarit and it is a spectacular lens - I would never sell it.

• Like 2