“coffee” stain

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here we go.

the “new” M8 has arrived. A transparent stain is presenting dead centre of the review screen. Nothing seen in the way of a stain on the pics in photoshop.

I have the option to send it back. What to do. Is the stain likely to spread?

What would you do?

I had the stain on my M8 for some time, it wont affect the function of the camera in any way and in time it just disappeared. A few other M8 users had it as well. As to what caused it I have no idea. Others may help with advice as well.

• Like 2

This dates back to around 2012, as usual there was no definitive answer, speculation was a "bad" batch of display screens but they were no longer made (even then) so Leica were not able to repair ( and that would still apply to your camera) but offered a discount against a new current stock model as "compensation", I don't know if that still is possible but obviously the cost even with a discount is considerable. The "compensation" varied with the time from new purchase so now would be a goodwill gesture.

As noted some just went with time or a high temperature around 28C was mentioned ISTR to clear it, obviously the function is not affected. Some did progress to failure but that also happened to some without the stain appearing first, this is why I said no definite answers BTW. The "cause" was said to be the adhesive sticking the layers of the display together failing, supplied by Casio at the time.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for that excellent insight.

as the seller didn’t declare the stain I’m inclined to send it back.

however, the first one I bought had a low shutter count but the shutter failed after 3 days

its an old camera and I should accept that they fail. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, mark harverson said:

Thank you for that excellent insight.

however, the first one I bought had a low shutter count but the shutter failed after 3 days

its an old camera and I should accept that they fail. 

I would be inclined to send it back and personally would go for an M8.2 or an upgraded (shutter wise as a minimum there were three options, shutter framelines and screen cover glass) M8U or M8.1 that gives the more resilient 4,000 shutter. It's debatable if a low count is good after this time, regular use with a higher count to keep everything lubricated and moving instead of sitting on a shelf may be better. Like lenses, a wise pro friend said always buy a well used lens no one keeps on using a bad example.

Since the vendor neglected to mention the LCD fault ('coffee stain') then in the UK under the 'Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations: 2000, you have clear grounds to return the M8 for a full refund since the camera will be classed as not being 'merchantable goods'.  (Hopefully you wouldn't need to convince the vendor by quoting the regulation etc and they would happily comply.

Whether you wish to send it back is a different matter of course.  Since you have the camera in hand you're in a good position to examine it and decide whether the rest of the camera is up to par; eg (the shutter has been discussed), the condition of the EVF, the general condition of the body, how much torque is needed to attach a lens (some of the early ones were really quite tight and needed to be over-rotated slightly to latch), the noise and 'tone' of the shutter action.

I can't recall reports of coffee stain getting worse, although it's less than ideal, and members have reported, cf above, so after a tot-up you might decide to stick with the flaw you know about rather than wrestle with another M8 whose flaws are unknown or undeclared.  You could then approach the vendor about a partial refund to cover the undeclared coffee stain, which might be preferable to both of you to rejecting the M8 for a refund.

Pete.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2023 at 5:16 PM, mark harverson said:

+1. My stain disappeared, but you have no reason to believe yours will do so. Also, i'm not sure if spare LCDs are still available at Leica so i would not keep this faulty camera personally.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/28/2023 at 2:27 PM, mark harverson said:

I have kept it with a price reduction. I have read a lot about the stains and the next M8 I buy may suffer shutter fail as the first did.

leica have said that they only replace shutters no other repair or replacement works.

buying an M8 is a risk

no more risk than any other digital device.

My M9P didnt survive a year

4 hours ago, andym91 said:

my M8.2 had it suddenly, I was a bit down about it, read the internet...no real explanation.

Couple months later it disappeared as suddenly as it came.

Never had it again.

Ditto here