Can't connect to FOTOS (android)

TeeDiddy

1 hour ago, TeeDiddy said:

I am incredibly frustrated by my new Q2’s inability to pair with Leica Fotos. Just terrible. It worked for a day or so and now fails. Incredibly poor functionality. I am ready to return this thing. 

WiFi is critical to workflow. 

Pretty sure there have been some issues if you're running the latest IOS. If you're not on the latest IOS or are using Android, there are a few things you can try:

You'll have to make sure you're running firmware 1.1 on Q2 and also have the latest version of the Fotos app installed.

• Turn off your mobile data on your phone, leaving only wifi+bluetooth on. Close the app, turn off the camera, turn them both back on and try to pair again. 
  • If that doesn't work, try deleting the app all together, reinstalling it (I know..), and then trying again. First with mobile data on and also with it off.

If none of the above work, definitely email their customer support and tell them what you've tried. If they don't have any other ideas, it's useful for them to learn what other phones the app has problems with/what the problems that their troubleshooting doesn't fix are. 

I received the above tips directly from the app developers after emailing them directly from the app where it says "feedback" or something along those lines. Disabling mobile data worked for me, but I use an Android phone so ymmv. 

I hope you get it straightened out!

1 hour ago, leicameech said:

Pretty sure there have been some issues if you're running the latest IOS. If you're not on the latest IOS or are using Android, there are a few things you can try:

You'll have to make sure you're running firmware 1.1 on Q2 and also have the latest version of the Fotos app installed.

• Turn off your mobile data on your phone, leaving only wifi+bluetooth on. Close the app, turn off the camera, turn them both back on and try to pair again. 
  • If that doesn't work, try deleting the app all together, reinstalling it (I know..), and then trying again. First with mobile data on and also with it off.

If none of the above work, definitely email their customer support and tell them what you've tried. If they don't have any other ideas, it's useful for them to learn what other phones the app has problems with/what the problems that their troubleshooting doesn't fix are. 

I received the above tips directly from the app developers after emailing them directly from the app where it says "feedback" or something along those lines. Disabling mobile data worked for me, but I use an Android phone so ymmv. 

I hope you get it straightened out!

Thanks. I’ve tried all of that. I was actually at Leica Akademie for a Q2 program all day and they couldn’t sort it out. They had us email customer service. 

Just ridiculous. 

I too am very frustrated with the FOTOS app and have been since the original Q app. Connecting has always been problematic. Before there was a huge lag when pressing the shutter. That is better with the FOTOS version. I recommend you keep sending in your experience and frustrations to the support team using the link in the App. I regularly do when I try to use it. I am very frustrated that I cannot use manual focus and along with that move the focus point. So basic! Leica can and should do better. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, DOC said:

Yesterday there was a New iOS Fotos App..... it worked with my  Q2

I'm interested to know more. What do you mean by "worked"? Specifically, can you now connect the app to the Q2, turn off Wi-Fi and use the Bluetooth connection (only) between phone and camera to inject GPS data to the photos the camera takes?

Stephen

It is hard to believe Leica really cares about fixing the WiFi software issues after all this time.  I have had several Q's and now a Q2 and have never received reliable Wi-Fi connectivity with any of them. 

I have stopped trying to use WiFi with the Q2 ... essentially for my purposes it doesn't exist and clearly isn't any sort of priority for Leica to get it working as advertised.  Yes, I do like the rest of the camera and it's output, with the nice lens.  

1 hour ago, Trankster said:

It's not in the Android app. Regardless, I cannot get the app to pair since the most recent update. 

Sorry. My bad. I assumed an iPhone app. I cannot speak to Android app functionality. Hopefully someone else can. 

Edited by Leica Guy
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2019 at 4:49 AM, Stephen_C said:

I'm interested to know more. What do you mean by "worked"? Specifically, can you now connect the app to the Q2, turn off Wi-Fi and use the Bluetooth connection (only) between phone and camera to inject GPS data to the photos the camera takes?

Stephen

Leica still hasn't implemented Bluetooth GPS data to the camera. The new app version is mainly a bug fix release, not a major feature update.

Apparently that newfangled Bluetooth stuff is just too much for the Leica developers to master.

At this point, I think about the imaginary Bluetooth support in Fotos the same way I think about decent face detect and tracking autofocus: It's not essential to how I photograph, so the fact that Leica pretends to offer those features doesn't affect my opinion of the camera very much. It does affect my opinion of Leica as a vendor, but that's another matter.

Thanks for starting this thread. It gave me the motivation to install the Fotos app and try it with the Q.  Never had any luck with the original Q app.  Fotos works fine after I deleted the old app and its attempted connections from my android phone.  Now I have a newfangled wifi cable release.😎

On 11/3/2019 at 4:02 AM, TeeDiddy said:

I am beyond frustrated with the Q2 and it’s inability to pair with the photos App. Leica should be ashamed of themselves. I wish I was still within the return period. Just a terrible product. Going back to Nikon. 

First update camera software and reinstall the  FOTOS app. Then they will pair. Both must be on the latest software, otherwise it will not work. See post #16

• 8 months later...

Hi guys, regards from Vapolicella hills, Italy.

Just trying to connect my new Q2 to Leica Fotos App. Camera Firmware 2.0 (the latest) Leica Fotos app version 2.1.1 (released July the 2nd)

Smartphone OnePlus 6T, latest Oxygen OS version 10.3.4, latest Android 10 version

I followed all suggestions, mobile data off included: simply no way to pair it! Just unbelievable...

App detects the camera, aquire IP address and also confirms "successful connection", but final message says "App aborted the request to chose a device"

There must be a conflict somewhere

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!