Will I really notice the difference - upgrade from Voigt 50mm f1.2 to Summilux ASPH 50mm by trading Q2

IanS_?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Of course when using the Voigt 50mm at 1.4 in most instances for low depth of field intimate landscape and dog photography

I am using the Voigt 50mm on my M10 and have been thinking above trading my Q2 in for a Summilux ASPH 50mm on the basis it will have improved sharpness.

I did briefly have a Chrome Summilux ASPH 50mm but it had to go back for oil on the blades and sticking focus and I didn't have time to properly evaluate it

I am told that a Summilux ASPH 50mm focus won't be as smooth as the Voigt but will this mean I may miss getting an accurate focus while I need to adjust etc

My Q2 is up for the swap as I have a Elmarit 28mm f2.8 for the M10 that I am really impressed by and to be honest I am not that impressed with the Q2 microcontrast and clarity

Of course I want to avoid the expensive mistake of having to sell the Summilux again.

Is it that much better and how much is the focus lack of tactility a real bind

I have the Summilux ASPH Black chrome and absolutely love it!I bought it when I had the M10-P and now use it on the M11.

Truth of the matter is you will be better positioned to get what you are looking for by trading your q2 ( which it sounds like you are ready to ditch) and your M10 in for the M11. if you have some cash left over after the trade then I would consider starting fund for an eventual 50 lux ASPH v2

I have the Summilux 50 (not the recent close-focus version) as well as the Voigtländer 50/1.2 and I see a slight difference in favor of the Lux. This seems to be consistent with the comparison here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1707236

But if I were in your shoes, I would rather miss my Q2 (even though I also have the 28 Elmarit which I really like)...

2 hours ago, Kwesi said:

I have the Summilux ASPH Black chrome and absolutely love it!I bought it when I had the M10-P and now use it on the M11.

Truth of the matter is you will be better positioned to get what you are looking for by trading your q2 ( which it sounds like you are ready to ditch) and your M10 in for the M11. if you have some cash left over after the trade then I would consider starting fund for an eventual 50 lux ASPH v2

Not sure where on this planet I am going to get an M11 + cash for a Q2 + M10 in trade in ... but it is a dream..

On a good day I think I may get £5K for both a Q2 and M10, that leaves me looking for another £1,400 for a used M11 plus some for batteries etc etc

On a more serious note when I picked up the M10 I had concluded 24Mp was OK rather than stretching to an M10R

Appreciate the point about the Black chrome and that the tabless focussing might be easier to be precise.

Edited by IanS_?

3 hours ago, IanS_? said:

Not sure where on this planet I am going to get an M11 + cash for a Q2 + M10 in trade in ... but it is a dream..

On a good day I think I may get £5K for both a Q2 and M10, that leaves me looking for another £1,400 for a used M11 plus some for batteries etc etc

On a more serious note when I picked up the M10 I had concluded 24Mp was OK rather than stretching to an M10R

Appreciate the point about the Black chrome and that the tabless focussing might be easier to be precise.

I honestly think you can do better than that. At least here in the states or through a private sale. 
Perhaps the thing to do is head over to a Leica store and shoot a 50 lux alongside your current 50 and see if the difference justifies the hassle.  

Used to own CV 50 1.2 sold it and bought Lux 50 ASPH. CV is a great lens especially in very low light at F1.2. But for everything else, Lux is the better lens, hands down. When I show my photos to "photography non-infected ordinary people😁" they always start to praise photos made with Lux 50.

17 hours ago, Kwesi said:

I honestly think you can do better than that. At least here in the states or through a private sale. 
Perhaps the thing to do is head over to a Leica store and shoot a 50 lux alongside your current 50 and see if the difference justifies the hassle.  

Perhaps, before going to the Leica store I have to sure as I almost certainly won't leave without one ! They mix something into the air that renders resistance futile ...

1 hour ago, IanS_? said:

Perhaps, before going to the Leica store I have to sure as I almost certainly won't leave without one ! They mix something into the air that renders resistance futile ...

😀

On 5/8/2023 at 11:36 PM, IanS_? said:

As @Kwesi stated, I think you can do better than 5K, also in EU. What you do not want to do is try to trade in both Q2 and M10 for a new M11 at a Leica dealer. If you sell both the q2 and M10 privately and separately, it should be enough to buy a used M11 privately or even a new one with a small discount. It will take a bit of time unless you use Ebay, but then you lose some on commissions.

Going to s shop and comparing the lenses is a good idea before selling anything. Try to compare shots of your M10 with the 50lux with shots of the M11 (in the shop) with the Voigtlander. That will be the crucial test. Do you like the results with M11 and the Voigt better?
I am not convinced a fine lens can be compensated by a body upgrade. My best lenses shine through, even on very old 10MP sensors.

3 hours ago, dpitt said:

I am not convinced a fine lens can be compensated by a body upgrade. My best lenses shine through, even on very old 10MP sensors.

I agree with you and hope I didn’t mislead anyone. What I meant to say is that in my experience with the M11, the character of my existing lenses have become more apparent than when I used them on the M10-P. This goes for my 50 lux ASPH BC, 28/2 V2, summicron rigid v2, 35 FLE and others. I’m not technically minded but I don’t think it’s just the bump in resolution but a combination of resolution, colour science and sensor technology in the M11 that creates this effect. Anyhow as you say, it’s worth popping into a shop with the voight and performing the tests you mentioned. 

I'm a 50mm fan. My Voigtlander 1.2 lives permanently stuck on the m11, Summicron f2 lives on the m3. I have a Q2 as well which I use for landscapes, seascapes, long exposures etc... The fact that it's weather sealed gives me peace of mind when in nature. Besides it's a great camera and a great 28mm lens(I also use it as a 35mm substitute). I thought about selling it but couldn't justify the price difference from new. I also like having a backup camera just in case because well thats life.

• 2 weeks later...

Amo i 50mm. Il mio primo 50mm è stato un Summicron V4, sostituito dal CV Nokton f1,2, lente fantastica, forse la migliore per rapporto qualità/prezzo ed è rimasta incollata alla mia M10 e con cui ho scattato l’80% delle mie foto negli ultimi 12 mesi. Poi ho acquistato uno Zeiss Sonnar f1,5 un obiettivo folle, con la luce giusta sforna capolavori. Infine sono approdato a Summilux Asph e stacca gli altri 2 di parecchio tanto che ho venduto il CV. Oltre alle qualità che sono note a tutti la cosa che mi ha più colpito è proprio la messa a fuoco, precisa e veloce, da quando lo uso la percentuale di fuori fuoco a tutta apertura si è ridotta al minimo. Te lo consiglio.

I considered the Voit 1.2 something people kept mentioning was focus shift at 1.4 and greater… That would drive me nuts! The ASPH Lux 1.4 has no focus shift… I can confirm my copy is spot on. I love it! Got mine used at a good price knowing the focus was stiff… just got it back from a CLA now smooth and accurate an awesome lens all around! Color rendering is top notch, on top of all the other great things it does.