Sensor Vignetting M10R

Kiran

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So how much does your sensor vignette without a lens.

Sounds absurd but I always assumed the heavy vignetting I was seeing with my 35mm Summicron was the actual lens.

Until I photographed an evenly backlit diffuse piece of glass without a lens attached.

There is also a colour shift (although subtle) across the sensor.

Anybody else experience this? Thoughts?

Thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The sensor is sitting behind a hole, a really big pinhole really. Sensels in the corner will get more light from extreme angles than those in the centre. It's the light from extreme angles that causes vignetting and colour shifts.

Politely, thats irrelevant to vignetting with a lens. A lens projects an image on the sensor. What you are seeing here is the light that falls on a sensor through a large porthole. All directions, no projection. of course the edges and corners receive less light as light from some directions is blocked. Nothing to do with vignetting on a lens. of course the reason some lenses vignette wide open is that light from the edges is a bit restricted by the diameter of the lens even though an image is being gathered and projected.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, newtoleica said:

Politely, thats irrelevant to vignetting with a lens. A lens projects an image on the sensor. What you are seeing here is the light that falls on a sensor through a large porthole. All directions, no projection. of course the edges and corners receive less light as light from some directions is blocked. Nothing to do with vignetting on a lens. of course the reason some lenses vignette wide open is that light from the edges is a bit restricted by the diameter of the lens even though an image is being gathered and projected.

@newtoleica I politely suggest that you think again. Even without a lens attached a sensel at the edge of the sensor behind a large hole will receive more light hitting it at an extreme angle than a sensel in the middle of the sensor. It's just geometry.

Imagine you are a sensor pixel. You will have to integrate the diffuse light over the hemisphere. In the middle of the sensor, you will receive light from almost all angles. At the corners, a major part is dark and only a fraction of the hemisphere is bright. (Applies if you have a perfect diffusor over the flange instead of a lens.)

And in addition to that, a non-homogeneous distribution of micro lenses, if any, may have an impact.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed this as well.   I have an M10r and I went to the Leica store in Miami to check this and was told that this is normal.  It is more apparent with a 35 mm summicron than a 90 mm tele-elmarit  but it is still noticeable.  Apparently, the issue is independent of the lens. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m not sure it’s an issue, (I mean it might be for the photographer, but I don’t see it as a fault) more the side effect of putting a lot of small pixels on a non-BSI sensor 

Leica are ultimately having to produce solutions around the increasingly more digital demands of their customers whilst working with a flange design that dates from the mid 1950s

• Like 1

Probably caused mainly by the lens mount on the camera body, ie the edge of the ‘hole’.  
The sensor is designed to receive a projected image from the lens, the rear element of which sits someway  inside the camera beyond the mount.

No need to panic, just use the camera as it is intended to be used. Ie; with a lens attached.

Edited by Ouroboros