M11 Monochrom Freezing

As a few have mentioned, Always update firmware to latest version. I just got mine, updated firmware and haven’t had freeze issues. Same with my M11, haven’t had freeze issues in months. 

What’s great is that you can connect to Fotos very quickly and install the latest firmware without any cables in about 5 minutes. Props to Leica. 

Edited by dkmoore

7 hours ago, lct said:

Have you been using uncoded lenses? Just curious.

I have used uncoded lenses. But the freezing was happening with coded lenses,

3 hours ago, digitalfx said:

odd...but had zero issues with 1.0fw and camera freezing...but since updating to 1.6.1 my M11M has had to hard reset twice.

I can't believe they ship the camera with Firmware 1.0, but in any case I updated to 1.6.1 and so far, I can't reproduce the freezes.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Modernvintagephotos,   First, welcome to the forum.  You will find there are highly experienced photographers that will offer their sage advice to include myself.  Second, the M11-M camera was shipped with the initial firmware because the firmware update wasn't available when the camera was produced.  My M11-M came the same way when I picked it up at the Leica Store, 2 weeks ago.  I knew to immediately check for firmware updates based on years of digital M camera experience.  Third, Michali's advice in his post #2 is sage advice. I use Delkin Black 128 GB SD cards and use the SD Card Formatter software (free) to initially format all my SD cards.  Then I upload the Leica firmware to the camera.  I have never had a freeze since doing this way back with the M240 and all Monochrom cameras.  I also download my shoot every day, then delete the files and reformat the SD card in camera.  Every 10 shoots, I reformat the SD card with SD Card Formatter.  I also always use the same SD card in my camera.  Again, never a freeze or issue with any M or SL camera.  Many others do the same thing, no issues.  The M10-M was excellent, but you will find the M11-M stellar once you get use to it.  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

PS. Red Dot Forum with David Farkas and Josh Lehrer had some good tips on their past weekend video for the M11-M.  You might want to watch it, it might help you.

• Like 4

On 5/8/2023 at 3:11 PM, LeicaR10 said:

Modernvintagephotos,   First, welcome to the forum.  You will find there are highly experienced photographers that will offer their sage advice to include myself.  Second, the M11-M camera was shipped with the initial firmware because the firmware update wasn't available when the camera was produced.  My M11-M came the same way when I picked it up at the Leica Store, 2 weeks ago.  I knew to immediately check for firmware updates based on years of digital M camera experience.  Third, Michali's advice in his post #2 is sage advice. I use Delkin Black 128 GB SD cards and use the SD Card Formatter software (free) to initially format all my SD cards.  Then I upload the Leica firmware to the camera.  I have never had a freeze since doing this way back with the M240 and all Monochrom cameras.  I also download my shoot every day, then delete the files and reformat the SD card in camera.  Every 10 shoots, I reformat the SD card with SD Card Formatter.  I also always use the same SD card in my camera.  Again, never a freeze or issue with any M or SL camera.  Many others do the same thing, no issues.  The M10-M was excellent, but you will find the M11-M stellar once you get use to it.  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

PS. Red Dot Forum with David Farkas and Josh Lehrer had some good tips on their past weekend video for the M11-M.  You might want to watch it, it might help you.

Cheers Mark. Thanks for the advice and welcome. I have been making photographs for 30 years from 35mm to ULF. I love my M6 but have always used Nikon for Digital Equipment. Since the FW Update, I have had zero issues.

FWIW, my lens setup is 21 SEM, 35 ZM, 50 APO and 90 2.8 Voigt

They all look STELLAR on the Monochrom.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Exchanged the first M11 after the issue could not be dealt with. Even parts of the hardware were changed. The current M11 also freezes permanently, also on the way to customer care. Now had the hope with the M11 Monochrome that the issue would be resolved. Unfortunately none. Imported latest firmware. Internal memory formatted, also formatted the SD card again. More attempts are in progress.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, duesentrieb said:

Exchanged the first M11 after the issue could not be dealt with. Even parts of the hardware were changed. The current M11 also freezes permanently, also on the way to customer care. Now had the hope with the M11 Monochrome that the issue would be resolved. Unfortunately none. Imported latest firmware. Internal memory formatted, also formatted the SD card again. More attempts are in progress.

have you tried a different card?