M8 "brick" charger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Think this has failed.  I have two batteries, both of which show same issue with charger.

I get a continual flashing amber light, no matter how long either battery is left in the charger (Yes, I have read the M8 manual).   I also get flashing amber with no battery in the charger.

Placing either battery in the M8 and powering up I got an SD card full error (no it isn't).  Format card, takes a couple of minutes (32 GB), but all photos are still on card and new photos can be written.

I have now charged them with a small travel charger bought from Amazon., but it doesn't really give much indication.  I see the Nitecore USB chargers for M8/M9 are no longer listed on their web site.

They are not listed on the website now either and are marked discontinued:

ULM9 (Discontinued) (nitecore.com)

I have one and am pretty sure it wasn't the kind of price they are asking now for similar.

There is a listing here: Lens Lab: Nitecore USB Travel Charger for Leica BLI-312

There is this one on Amazon but given the price I would search for fire extinguishers as well:

Jiexi® Mains HOME Wall Car Battery Charger for LEICA BM8 M8 M8.2 M9 ME M-E 14464 BLI-312 Digital Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Good Luck

On 5/5/2023 at 11:42 AM, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

Think this has failed.  I have two batteries, both of which show same issue with charger.

I get a continual flashing amber light, no matter how long either battery is left in the charger (Yes, I have read the M8 manual).   I also get flashing amber with no battery in the charger.

Placing either battery in the M8 and powering up I got an SD card full error (no it isn't).  Format card, takes a couple of minutes (32 GB), but all photos are still on card and new photos can be written.

I have now charged them with a small travel charger bought from Amazon., but it doesn't really give much indication.  I see the Nitecore USB chargers for M8/M9 are no longer listed on their web site.

https://www.keh.com/shop/leica-standard-charger-222448.html

Thanks both.

I have raised a query with Lens Lab Chris, as their ordering system fails at the last page, when I comes to paying.  I have the cheap Amazon charger, but it is a backup for travelling.

KEH - a last resort due to import charges - if they even ship worldwide, which is becoming problematic sometimes.

Serves me right for not buying a ULM9 when I had the opportunity several years ago. :)

7 hours ago, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

I have raised a query with Lens Lab Chris, as their ordering system fails at the last page, when I comes to paying.  I have the cheap Amazon charger, but it is a backup for travelling.

Yes I was afraid of that, seen "optimistic" listings before,

May be worth an e-mail to Leica, try Mayfair first perhaps, to see what they have. It is possible that an M8/8.2/9 has come for repair with charger that has proved uneconomic to proceed with.

Also perhaps leave a wanted with ffordes who see all sorts, they sell some stuff straight onto e-bay of the Nitecore type of kit. Real Camera also have loads of miscellaneous stuff particularly in Manchester not listed on-line. Used to pick pick up IXMOO cassettes from a misc cardboard box until I had too many 😂

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Chris and Tom.  M8 batteries are the same (pretty much) as M9, so a number of Leica users use an M9 charger for M8 batteries.

M9 charger is listed as £149 (UK), but nowhere has stock, so I'll try Chris' other suggestions, too.

Regards,

Graham

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 10:33 PM, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

Thanks both.

KEH - a last resort due to import charges - if they even ship worldwide, which is becoming problematic sometimes.

Serves me right for not buying a ULM9 when I had the opportunity several years ago. :)

I bought my nitecore charger from aliexpress earlier this year. They should still be available and circulating around even though the manufacturer has discontinued it.

• Like 1