Windows 8.1 to 10 transition

Steve Ricoh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looking for advice.

Microsoft support for windows 8.1 came to an end in January this year, meaning no further security fixes, etc.

I’m not sure whether Microsoft still provide free upgrade to W10. On the one hand the option doesn’t appear within Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, but this article describes a method: 

https://uk.pcmag.com/migrated-3765-windows-10/143981/still-stuck-on-windows-81-how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-or-windows-11

As I’m running legacy standalone versions of LightRoom 6.14, Photoshop CCS and the Nik suite (and a few other things) I need to be absolutely sure the transition would not interfere with any of the applications. If not I would consider purchasing another laptop with an up to date operating system for on-line activities (especially if I have to purchase W10 for my current system), and keep my current laptop off line for photo work.

Anyone faced the same or a similar challenge and can offer advice.

Many thanks…

PCs are already on Windows 11, and IIRC, Windows 12 will be along "soon".

Windows 8.1 was released 10 years ago, so make sure that your hardware is up to it before trying to upgrade.

• Like 1

vor 40 Minuten schrieb Steve Ricoh:

If not I would consider purchasing another laptop with an up to date operating system for on-line activities (especially if I have to purchase W10 for my current system), and keep my current laptop off line for photo work.

That's probably a very good idea!

• Like 1

Given the life cycle for W10 ends in October 2025 it’s virtually pointless to update my 8.1, so I’ll have to look to a replacement platform running W11, as a minimum. Some hate the desktop, but what can you do! I guess W12 won’t be any better, possibly worse as a user interface, just more bloatware and more hardware to make it run. 
Option B is to look towards Apple, but MacBooks are awfully expensive for my needs given I will continue with W8.1 for offline photo processing.

Edited by Steve Ricoh

You could always consider a refurbished Mac. Apple has a link to these at the bottom of the home page; they still have the full warranty and (from my limited experience) are hard to tell from new, in fact some may well be new stock they are selling off. Some Apple dealers also sell refurbished Macs, usually with a one year warranty.

1 hour ago, williamgm said:

You could always consider a refurbished Mac. Apple has a link to these at the bottom of the home page; they still have the full warranty and (from my limited experience) are hard to tell from new, in fact some may well be new stock they are selling off. Some Apple dealers also sell refurbished Macs, usually with a one year warranty.

From my experience with iPads (and iPhones, although my ancient 6 is probably too old for a fair analysis) they suffer the same fate as MS Windows in terms of operating software. At a point in time, no further updates become available, and I guess the Apple Mac suffers the same death. 
The other consideration for me is that I need my W8.1 laptop and the new machine (W11?) to be able to talk the same language.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

48 minutes ago, Steve Ricoh said:

From my experience with iPads (and iPhones, although my ancient 6 is probably too old for a fair analysis) they suffer the same fate as MS Windows in terms of operating software. At a point in time, no further updates become available, and I guess the Apple Mac suffers the same death. 
The other consideration for me is that I need my W8.1 laptop and the new machine (W11?) to be able to talk the same language.

Macs do suffer the same fate, but in my experience it takes longer. I bought a 2014 MacBook in 2018, it was less than 1/4 the price of a new version. It is now at the point I can't update the OS any further but it still runs all my programs and should do for several more years at least. I did have to replace the battery last year but that was relatively inexpensive. If all you want it for is accessing the internet a used MacBook will last a long time.

I stopped updating my 8.1 laptop at least a year ago when it started installing updates then, after half an hour, deciding that the update had failed and spent another half an hour uninstalling it.

Meanwhile I have two old computers, not connected to the Internet, running Windows XP with an old copy of Photoshop 7, which does everything I need for photo processing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikemgb said:

Macs do suffer the same fate, but in my experience it takes longer. I bought a 2014 MacBook in 2018, it was less than 1/4 the price of a new version. It is now at the point I can't update the OS any further but it still runs all my programs and should do for several more years at least. I did have to replace the battery last year but that was relatively inexpensive. If all you want it for is accessing the internet a used MacBook will last a long time.

I was able to use my MacPro for 11 years before I ran into operating system trouble.

• Like 1