Leica SL2 + SF60 Issues

slimsnapped

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a Leica SL2 body I use for events and weddings in pair with a Q2. Picked up a Leica SF60 flash to have the option of TTL and HSS. When connected to the Q2 it fires consistently for the most part but the issue comes in when mounted on the SL2. It could be in TTL,TTL-A, or M and it won't fire consistently. I have another flash that is an off brand that works great on the SL2 but was purchased for the Q2 because of size. This issue has me wanting to sell the SL2 or pick up another body as it can't be trusted in dire moments as of now. Does anyone have suggestions or solutions?

Yes, cleaned them this morning to double check and still issues. Tested the exact same settings side by side on my Q2 and it was flawless. The SL2 only seems to recognize the flash in the direct position and turned 180* pointed straight up in TTL&M modes on the flash with the camera in M or P.

try resetting the camera. are you on a v5 firmware?

I use multiple flashes and the SF-60 works quite well and even with a Leica trigger.

It is strange you have that you have to point flash up, I get better reading facing with the lens view.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

53 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

try resetting the camera. are you on a v5 firmware?

I use multiple flashes and the SF-60 works quite well and even with a Leica trigger.

It is strange you have that you have to point flash up, I get better reading facing with the lens view.

Camera is on v5. Lens view is the only direction I get somewhat consistent triggers. Pointed straight up rarely works, but if I rotate it 180* and point it mostly up it'll trigger about the same consistency as lens view (straight forward). Tried resetting the camera and that made little to no difference

That is what I am gathering. Did one more test yesterday evening with the Godox XProII L trigger mounted to the SL2 triggering a Stella Pro Reflex S, it worked flawlessly. This will be my temporary solution until I have time to send it in for evaluation. Spoke with Leica NJ on the phone and they recommended I send it in of course.

May be the foot of Nissin type flashes dosen't fit in the  correct position going further to the frontal in the hot shoe of your camera, without doing good contact. You should pull the unit a little backwards until the first pin  blocks the flash firmly on the hot shoe. Something symilar happened to me.

Francisco.

Sounds like a bad contact/alignment. Off brand flash works with both SL2 and Q2, SF60 works on the Q2 but not the SL2. So we know that both flashes and both cameras "work" but one combination doesn't. I would  first check if the SF60 is fully pushed forward in the hotshoe, see if that works, then try it moved slightly back in the hotshoe. See if there is any "slop" in the hotshoe with the SF60 that might cause a loss of contact. I have seen this with other flash/camera combinations, but not with the SL2.