Close focus mod - Summilux-M 35mm F1.4 Steel Rim reissue

yukosteel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 minutes ago, lct said:

..... a legacy lens like the Super-Angulon 21/3.4 has a 0.4m MFD, .....

The Super-Angulon 31/3.4R has a MFD of 20cm, and I have used actually one on an M at this focus setting via an R to M adapter and it works. A tape measure or ruler is useful though. Optically it is identical to the M, and, as a semi-symmetrical lens, it retains good optical 'quality' at closer focus than many wide-angles.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, pgk said:

The Super-Angulon 31/3.4R has a MFD of 20cm, and I have used actually one on an M at this focus setting via an R to M adapter and it works. A tape measure or ruler is useful though. Optically it is identical to the M, and, as a semi-symmetrical lens, it retains good optical 'quality' at closer focus than many wide-angles.

So does the M version with close focus adapter. Here on Kolari mod A7r2:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Diverse/n-QFBj4/Sony-A7r2-Leica-2134-pre-asph/i-4NbWTWb/2/8d4d68b9/X4/DSC02651_si-X4.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/1/2023 at 2:33 AM, Pyrogallol said:

There seems to be an obsession with using rangefinder Leicas at very minimum focussing range and the lenses at maximum aperture. Not what the Leica rangefinder is designed to do best, even using live view and overcoming the viewfinder parallax alignment. Use an SLR and keep the Leica for middle distance pictures which it does best.

On the contrary, most Leica lenses are optimized for wide open shooting, and a lot of documentary work with a 35mm focal length is at or near MFD.  I wouldn't do it, because you're buying a recreation of that old lenses, and one of its' characteristics was the lousy 1.0 MFD, but this is really no different than those guys who modify their M3's to focus a bit closer.  To each their own.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/5/2023 at 2:40 AM, adan said:

I'd love it if the Elmar-M 21mm was upgraded to 0.4m focusing, just to get back this capability. Or maybe just get a 60mm CU lens for my old 21mm Elmarit non-ASPH - although with that lens there might be vignetting.

The early batches (till 1985)  of the e60 pre asph 21mm Elmarit M lens had the 0,40m uncoupled focusing distance built in and it was RF coupled from 0,70m onwards like the following batches .

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by JMF
  • Like 1