developed film white marks?

Emtsoh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello film community,

Thought to ask you here and perhaps someone can help. Just yesterday, I developed one XP2 super 400, 35mm (HC-110 / 1+31, water stopbath,  ilford rapid fixer, 3-4 drops photoflo and final wash was done with distilled water).

The overall film has been developed without issues even if XP2 is supposed to be developed with C41 chemicals.

However: On one particular image, I notice lots of white particles on the scanned film (on the negative the marks are extremely tiny and black).

If anyone knows, what is the cause of these marks, would help a lot and I will try to rectify for the next films. Perhaps is my developer or the fixer.. (both are quite old - 6 years old or so) but I have no idea and maybe someone here knows :)

Attached, I have included a picture of the image in question.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

PS: it looks like dust but it is not. I use a dust blower all the time before scanning. The marks are embedded on the negative.

Edited by Emtsoh

40 minutes ago, jankap said:

It is dust, but from where. Is this a picture taken through a window?

Thanks for the feedback!

The image which I uploaded in our forum, was taken from my mobile. I scanned the film with a Plulstek 8100 and had the end result on my laptop's screen. 

Hope it clarifies. 

Now, I would try to be more careful with the dust. Perhaps a hot bath before hanging the freshly developed film in the bathroom, could help.

PS: the image was taken with a Heliar 50 1.5 classic wide open, thus the soft bokeh.  Plus the part which I uploaded here is just a part of the complete picture. Focus point was the nose of the lady and not the ear :)

Edited by Emtsoh

4 hours ago, Emtsoh said:

However: On one particular image, I notice lots of white particles on the scanned film (on the negative the marks are extremely tiny and black).

Only one image involved is not explained. I suppose the scanning process is the problem and not your bathroom. Are the spots in the same place, if you scan this image a second time?

Edited by jankap

8 minutes ago, jankap said:

Only one image involved is not explained. I suppose the scanning process is the problem and not your bathroom. Are the spots in the same place, if you scan this image a second time?

Indeed. Second time scanned. Spots are on the same place and visible via a magnifier too. Tried to clean the negative. No changes on the scanned version or the negative itself. 

Perhaps the fixer is behind that, or my water. No idea really. Will try to find out.

Thanks for the feedback already! Appreciate it.🙏👍

Edited by Emtsoh

If the spots are only on one negative and not visible in the margins or any other negatives they are not likely to have come from the chemicals. Can you show us a strip of three negatives with the ones either side just in case they do appear in other negatives but are hidden by the subject/density of the negatives?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Pyrogallol said:

If the spots are only on one negative and not visible in the margins or any other negatives they are not likely to have come from the chemicals. Can you show us a strip of three negatives with the ones either side just in case they do appear in other negatives but are hidden by the subject/density of the negatives?

The spots are mainly visible at frame 36 (last image from that roll).

here are the negatives but the dots are so small that we can barely see them without a magnification (or a scanner):

Edited by Emtsoh

23 minutes ago, Peter_S said:

Is it 120 or 135 format?
Edit: you specified "35mm". There was a problem with 120 format films, thus I asked.

It’s a 35mm film (135).

not the 120.

Hope it helps. Here is the negative this time with some light behind:

Just an idea..: being the last frame on the roll, perhaps all that water which was going down on the hanging film strap yesterday during drying or the dust from the floor (the film’s bottom-end was close to the floor yesterday) could have caught these tiny dust particles. 

Love film, just sometimes some stuff are a pure enigma for me :)

Did you reuse the fixer? Sometimes particles of black metallic silver from previous use of the fixer deposit themselves on negatives. I’m guessing you hung the film up with frame 36 hanging lowest - in which case the drying liquid will often carry those BMS particles to the lowest frames. Just wash it again and you should be fine. 

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 1

Just now, stray cat said:

Did you reuse the fixer? Sometimes particles of black metallic silver from previous use of the fixer deposit themselves on negatives. I’m guessing you hung the film up with frame 36 hanging lowest - in which case the drying liquid will often carry those BMS particles to the lowest frames. Just was it again and you should be fine. 

Thanks! That’s what I thought;

indeed the frame was the lowest and close the the bathroom’s floor as well.

The fixer was new, however the bottle is old (the developer is 100% 5-6 years old and the fixer just 1-2 years old if I remember correctly). I need to get a new one :)

• Like 1