35mm Summilux pre-asph v2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m considering adding a 35 Lux pre-asph v2 to my set-up. (Already have the 35 Steel Rim re-issue)

But I’m a bit undecided on the hood/series 7 filters situation. I prefer to keep the lens profile as small as possible (great on the 35SR with 46mm filter thread), but maybe also a bit risky to shoot with out any protective filter, meaning I would have to use the hood.

What do you guys do/recommend?

I usually have the hood on, with the protective filter. It's so small anyway, so I usually see no reason to take it off, and I think the lens looks cool with the hood on. I also like that without a cap, I can just pull the camera out of the bag and its immediately ready to use.

I only remove the hood when I want to go extra light or "stealth".

• Like 2

I use neither a hood nor a useless (safety) filter. I never had problems.

My Summilux had to be repaired once. It was standing and toppled over. Further, my Canon 135mm LTM (the heavy one) fell from a height of 50 cm. It still works, but a filter cannot be screwed in.

Also, my Lytro Illum camera fell 50cm (from a chair). Nothing happened, no damage.

In what risky areas you are in? It is a joke, that people leave their Leica gear in the cupboard at home, if they travel abroad.

Edited by jankap

I only use this lens with the hood, and filter inserted, for protection 

Generally I don’t mind the size at all and go through phases of using the 12504 hood on other lenses (eg with an ND inserted it’s quicker / easier to clip this 12504 hood onto E39 lens than it is to screw in an ND filter). I do this for 35 and 50 crons so find it pretty useful and if I’d thought of it earlier I wouldn’t have needed to buy different filters for this lens and my E39 pre-asph crons 

There are ocassions where I do want a smaller footprint though, in which case I take a cron with no hood. 

Edited by grahamc

I use it without hood/filter, but mostly because when I bought my copy (german v2) it was not included and I never found a good deal on just the hood and at some point stopped looking. Haven't missed it so far, although it looks cool so maybe at some point I'll search again. 

My other lenses do have a filter either for protection or colour filter for the monochrom, well, except the 28mm summaron where I didn't feel like it was really "needed"

Shooting this lens with the hood was the classic set up and look, because the lens was a bit flare prone w/o it, especially the earlier ones.  The hood also acts as a bumper, that's why you see a lot of old cats toting this lens with bent up hoods -- just a tool, right?  I shoot B&W film in the land of the sun, so I use the hood to hold color filters.  I does crimp the aperture ring a little, similar to the super angulon.  I suppose you'll just have to experiment yourself, to see what works best for you, given your specific lens and shooting environment and how you shoot.  In the field I find the hood doesn't really make a difference regarding size; still pretty small package.  Although I think the Voigtlander Nokton versions are more practical, the pre-aspherical Summilux is a classic Leica optic with a unique look, once you learn how to use it.  Good luck.

Edited by TheBestSLIsALeicaflex
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks all so far.

My current set-up is M10R BP and M10Mono, and I like to have a 35mm lenses for both bodies (also got other focal lengths, but 35mm is main lens).

So trying to decide, whether to switch my current 35mm Steel Rim re-issue + 35mm Summicron V3 combo to instead having 35mm Steel Rim re-issue + 35mm Summlux pre-asph v2.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, MadsP said:

Thanks all so far.

My current set-up is M10R BP and M10Mono, and I like to have a 35mm lenses for both bodies (also got other focal lengths, but 35mm is main lens).

So trying to decide, whether to switch my current 35mm Steel Rim re-issue + 35mm Summicron V3 combo to instead having 35mm Steel Rim re-issue + 35mm Summlux pre-asph v2.

Thoughts?

I'm always a big fan of trying new and different in photography, because that's the journey, and creative types like variety, but isn't the steel rim and pre-asherical similar.  Don't get me wrong, I like those character lenses, and have several myself, including both versions of the Nokton, but you'll end up with two lenses that paint pretty similarly.  If that's what you want, go for it.  The 35 is my preferred focal length too, and if I'm out shooting with multiple cameras, I have a pre-aspherical or Nokton on one, but for variety something totally different on the other, like the 8 element or third summicron, which paints in its' own unique contrasty way.  

Filters can only add flare to lenses suffering from it like my German-made Summilux 35/1.4 v2 so no filter here unless i need one absolutely but i always put a 12504 hood to reduce flare and for mechanical protection. As for still rim's they are too soft with too much flare for me but it is a matter of taste of course and i have no experience with the reissue.

Edited by lct

On 4/30/2023 at 4:28 PM, TheBestSLIsALeicaflex said:

I'm always a big fan of trying new and different in photography, because that's the journey, and creative types like variety, but isn't the steel rim and pre-asherical similar.  Don't get me wrong, I like those character lenses, and have several myself, including both versions of the Nokton, but you'll end up with two lenses that paint pretty similarly.  If that's what you want, go for it.  The 35 is my preferred focal length too, and if I'm out shooting with multiple cameras, I have a pre-aspherical or Nokton on one, but for variety something totally different on the other, like the 8 element or third summicron, which paints in its' own unique contrasty way.  

How would you describe similarities or differences btw the 35mm Summicron V3 and the 35mm Summilux pre-asph v2?

Just to get a sense, whether I’m chasing my own tail or not. 😆

1 hour ago, MadsP said:

How would you describe similarities or differences btw the 35mm Summicron V3 and the 35mm Summilux pre-asph v2?

Just to get a sense, whether I’m chasing my own tail or not. 😆

They both have unusual bokeh, though one maxes out at f/2 and the other f/1.4, with the obvious implications there.

The V3 Summicron trades resolution for contrast.  It was developed back in the late 60's/70's where color film was the rage, and even articles (in Leica Photographie no less) on wether B&W photography would survive.  So that's the big difference, the third summicron has more contrast then the pre-asph.  Stopped down my late pre-asph is sharper with better resolution.  Not exactly apples to apples, because comparing an early 70's lens to late 80's and coating tech changed over that time.  Although the third Summicron is probably a bit more fare resistant -- I used mine w/o a hood in the land of the sun.  Then there's the obvious stuff 0.7m MFD vs. 1.0 MFD, 39mm filter threads vs. quirky series 7 hood system.  

Neither have a modern look, and I prefer that.  You won't mistake these for asphericals, though my pre-asph gets pretty sharp with good resolution when stopped down.

I didn't like the pre-asph when I first got it, but it has grown on me over time.  Definitely have to learn it, turning its' faults into something special.  But I like old flawed lenses best.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheBestSLIsALeicaflex said:

They both have unusual bokeh, though one maxes out at f/2 and the other f/1.4, with the obvious implications there.

The V3 Summicron trades resolution for contrast.  It was developed back in the late 60's/70's where color film was the rage, and even articles (in Leica Photographie no less) on wether B&W photography would survive.  So that's the big difference, the third summicron has more contrast then the pre-asph.  Stopped down my late pre-asph is sharper with better resolution.  Not exactly apples to apples, because comparing an early 70's lens to late 80's and coating tech changed over that time.  Although the third Summicron is probably a bit more fare resistant -- I used mine w/o a hood in the land of the sun.  Then there's the obvious stuff 0.7m MFD vs. 1.0 MFD, 39mm filter threads vs. quirky series 7 hood system.  

Neither have a modern look, and I prefer that.  You won't mistake these for asphericals, though my pre-asph gets pretty sharp with good resolution when stopped down.

I didn't like the pre-asph when I first got it, but it has grown on me over time.  Definitely have to learn it, turning its' faults into something special.  But I like old flawed lenses best.   

Sounds like my journey. I use to what the “best” modern ASPH. lenses. Now I don’t own any and only have pre-asph. lenses.

So can’t decide whether my 35SR re-issue + 35Cron V3 is the perfect pairing or I should add the lux pre-asph v2 (as I can get a mint/like new copy)? And then sell either V3 Cron or the 35SR re-issue afterwards…

I guess it’s 1st world problems - but still havent solved it. 🤷🏼‍♂️

19 minutes ago, MadsP said:

Sounds like my journey. I use to what the “best” modern ASPH. lenses. Now I don’t own any and only have pre-asph. lenses.

So can’t decide whether my 35SR re-issue + 35Cron V3 is the perfect pairing or I should add the lux pre-asph v2 (as I can get a mint/like new copy)? And then sell either V3 Cron or the 35SR re-issue afterwards…

I guess it’s 1st world problems - but still havent solved it. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Ha, ha, you need also to consider an 8 element too for a different look, even if it's the Light Lens Lab version.  I have one of those, nice lens, and people say the output is pretty identical to the original.  I have their Elcan too, which is equally well built.  Hey Leica, they build lenses like you used to do it!

Honestly, when it comes to gear, in my opinion, there's no other way but to get stuff into your hands, try it and see if it works for you.  If you don't like it or don't need it, you always can re-sell it.  In the 25+ years I've been shooting Leica stuff, there's always been a ready used market, so you always can unload something you no longer want.  Fortunately for us, the older stuff usually costs a bit less.  Good luck.  

17 minutes ago, TheBestSLIsALeicaflex said:

Ha, ha, you need also to consider an 8 element too for a different look, even if it's the Light Lens Lab version.  I have one of those, nice lens, and people say the output is pretty identical to the original.  I have their Elcan too, which is equally well built.  Hey Leica, they build lenses like you used to do it!

Honestly, when it comes to gear, in my opinion, there's no other way but to get stuff into your hands, try it and see if it works for you.  If you don't like it or don't need it, you always can re-sell it.  In the 25+ years I've been shooting Leica stuff, there's always been a ready used market, so you always can unload something you no longer want.  Fortunately for us, the older stuff usually costs a bit less.  Good luck.  

Too true, and kind of how I got to know stuff too. Getting to know a lens takes a while not just 2 days rental.

Funny you mention it, I have been eyeing a used LLL 35mm 8e black paint at a decent price. Just sure the snob in me would mount it very often… 😉

22 minutes ago, MadsP said:

Too true, and kind of how I got to know stuff too. Getting to know a lens takes a while not just 2 days rental.

Funny you mention it, I have been eyeing a used LLL 35mm 8e black paint at a decent price. Just sure the snob in me would mount it very often… 😉

You seem to be gear driven, rather than photography driven.

Why not stop the lens anguish and just go and take more photos?

Ernst

51 minutes ago, Ernstk said:

You seem to be gear driven, rather than photography driven.

Why not stop the lens anguish and just go and take more photos?

Ernst

Well, I still do shoot and with lots of passion for the craft of it, I believe. Not just gear - but you be the judge of that. 😉 

Edited by MadsP