Deciding to Sell the S007 for the SL2-S

rollsman4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I really want to keep the S007. There is a Good deal now on the SL2_s and 50mm f2 Sl lens for 5900. as a Bundle.  It was tempting me to sell my S007 and 70mm Lens 

Any suggestions.  I mainly shoot portraits and Family groups.  Thanks 

41 minutes ago, rollsman4 said:

I really want to keep the S007. There is a Good deal now on the SL2_s and 50mm f2 Sl lens for 5900. as a Bundle.  It was tempting me to sell my S007 and 70mm Lens 

Using both S and SL2-S, I would say that the former is the preference to use when shooting slowly (including with tripod), the latter is my first pick for everything else. And yes, I really like the SL2-S. 

5 hours ago, rollsman4 said:

I really want to keep the S007.

I just went through that dilemma and did eventually sell my 007 (although I couldn't part with my - perfectly calibrated - 30-90mm!). I ended up joining the GFX camp and got myself a GFX100S. When I still had both I could tell what camera was in which camera bag by the weight alone! I use the 30-90mm (pre-set to f11) on the GFX with a manual adapter . 

Here's what I like/prefer about the GFX100S: Larger file sizes (i.e. greater cropping ability), lightweight, IBIS, an electronic level in the EVF, the 20-35mm lens (equivalent to 16-28mm!). The only thing I'd wish for is that it had the Leica S's mini nuclear power station batteries!

6 hours ago, rollsman4 said:

Heresy, I know, but does it have to be a Leica? And for group portraits, you probably want a higher res body...just sayin'

I think if you mainly shoot portraits and family groups, the lovely character of the S007 and 70mm will probably take you a bit further than the SL2S and 50mm ASPH (non APO). That said, the SL2S will have more accurate focus and stabilization. The hit rate is likely to be a bit higher, but in this specific instance, I think the S is going to give you better pictures in the end. Also, the 70mm in the S is more like a 56mm, so it is a bit tighter and tends to suit very well for portraits. The extra resolution is also less likely to show moire in fabrics.

P.S. If you are just tempted by having a smaller/easier handling camera at times, you can probably pick up the Panasonic S5II and a nearly identical 50mm 1.8 lens for a price where you may well be able to afford both. Then they would compliment each other and you would not need to sell the S007.

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 4

I am Not that confident with Panasonic. I know its a Very good system BUT I want to stick with the Leica and their Lenses. Thank you for the suggestion.  

My other thoughts are: Sl2-S and a Leica Zoom) 24-78 F2.8 or the Monster 24-90 )  I like to shoot on a Tripod when doing portraits and Group shots. 

Its NOT just the weight of the camera/ lens BUT since my surgery on my arm I am NOT that steady.  TY

I have seen youtubes of the Sigma Art 24-70 2.8 and suppose to be the same or Very close to the Leica Zoom

Edited by rollsman4

The reality is that lens quality has had a minor revolution of late, as manufacturers could get rid of the mirror box complication (one of the reasons why M lenses tended to be better than most other SLR lenses in the normal range), as well as advances in aspherical lens making and the requirements of extreme resolution cameras (60mp is extreme for 35mm). Recent vintage Sigma lenses are sharper in my experience than top of the line M lenses from Leica from even a few years ago. Character is subjective, but sharpness is not... The APO summicron SL lenses are still the best I have ever used, but Voigtlander and Sigma in particular are breathing down Leica's neck, usually at 1/5th to 1/10th the price. Leica seemingly agrees since the last few lenses they released for the SL are either wholly or very significantly based on Panasonic and Sigma lenses. I think that Panasonic was heavily involved in the design of the 90-280mm as well, from what I have heard (I have no specifics however).

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I think that Panasonic was heavily involved in the design of the 90-280mm as well, from what I have heard (I have no specifics however).

There's a Panasonic patent for the mechanical design of a 90-280. It doesn't mention who did the optical design, or if the lens is the same Leica's.

We already know that Leica and Panasonic worked together on the SL systems, since it combines many elements from the S with elements from Panasonic's Micro Four Thirds cameras. It wouldn't be the first time that Leica has worked with sub-contractors, of course. All we know for sure is that the lens is mechanically very reliable , and optically outstanding.

• Like 1

Yes. That is kind of what I was driving at...it is not as relevant these days who has made the lens, as manufacturers who might have been considered not quite as good as Leica might still be one small notch below Leica at their very best, but leave extremely little to be desired in nearly all photographic situations. This is not to say it is not worth getting Leica lenses. Far from it. Just that adding a Sigma or Panasonic lens in a less used focal length or something like that is not really a compromise in any meaningful way. Or deciding paying ten times as much for modest optical gains does not make sense for you is not some sort of compromise...if I were shooting an M11, I would certainly be looking at the Voigtlander APO lenses as what they can do for a tiny fraction of the cost is pretty remarkable. In looking at Sean Reid's site, I preferred the 35mm Voigtlander to the Leica 35mm APO Summicron M. I recently learned that they used the Voigtlander 10mm lens for Top Gun Maverick...admittedly an extreme focal length not easily found, but surely they had the choice of any lens every made to use and they chose Voigtlander...

2 hours ago, BernardC said:

There's a Panasonic patent for the mechanical design of a 90-280. It doesn't mention who did the optical design, or if the lens is the same Leica's.

We already know that Leica and Panasonic worked together on the SL systems, since it combines many elements from the S with elements from Panasonic's Micro Four Thirds cameras. It wouldn't be the first time that Leica has worked with sub-contractors, of course. All we know for sure is that the lens is mechanically very reliable , and optically outstanding.

I second that. My experience with Panasonic lenses on the SL2 was nothing but reliably rewarding. Below is an example of the Pana 70-200 F2.8 Pro lens taken at f4. That particular lens, plus the Panasonic 50mm F.14 S Pro are real workhorses and extremely capable on any of the SL bodies. Requires a couple of trips to the gym before deployment, though. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by HandofSand
  • Like 3

I doubt I'll ever own a Leica S system. I'm close to breaking my "film only" oath and buy the Blad x2d. But unless Sigma pulls the miracle by actually producing a FF Foveon L mount camera, to my mind the S produces the most beautiful photos. X2d (especially with older Zeiss V lenses) just a hair less beautiful to my eye.

• Like 2

I have spent this Saturday with my Friend’s X2d in his studio in Bangkok.

It’s a Brilliant camera, great files, very nice lenses (I tried  the 55mm and 80mm) but I reviewed the images today and decided that I’d be using my S3, CL and 601. Realistically, the new system is too much, we print between A2 and A3 and even the CL is adequate for the outputs  we use. And the Leica S with its optical viewfinder is still the camera I want to use more and more. 

• Like 4

I just sold the S007 and 70 lens, I now have the SL2S and looking to buy a lens for it. The 1st choice is 24-90 SL 3100-3300

2nd Choice:  24-70 SL  1900  Both Used

I dont need the extra length. And I prefer Constant F stop( aperture). I do see lots of excellent reviews on the 24-70Sl 

I am NOT concerned about the Sigma story.  Leica coatings and QC are important.   TY  I appreciate the info