1st time Leica owner

38 minutes ago, Huss said:

Interesting as using the Sunny F16 rule, bright sun should be 1/film speed @ f16, which would be 1/60 @f16.   They show a stop underexposed, which I assume is because color slide film is viewed either back lit or projected, so you don't want any bright blow outs.

It was easy to blow the highlights on Kodachrome, but you wouldn't want to shoot it a full stop under either (maybe a 1/3rd). I think they are suggesting 'light sand or snow' effectively makes the scene a stop brighter, so 'Sunny 16' would be the second panel rather than the first and the exposures are correct for the box speed.

4 hours ago, Anbaric said:

It was easy to blow the highlights on Kodachrome, but you wouldn't want to shoot it a full stop under either (maybe a 1/3rd). I think they are suggesting 'light sand or snow' effectively makes the scene a stop brighter, so 'Sunny 16' would be the second panel rather than the first and the exposures are correct for the box speed.

You Sir, are correct.  I missed the 'on snow/sand' part.

• 3 weeks later...

Camera and lens back from Don. Both shutter curtains had some pinholes so it got new ones as well as a new beam splitter. Rangefinder is crystal clear now. Flash socket was also bad so it got replaced as well. Flash now works and can't wait to try this with an off camera flash.

FIlm loaded, 7-8 exposures down, 28 to go. Whatever happened to 12 exposure 35mm film. Taking 36 exposures is a lot of work to just see how the camera is working. 

Loading film is not nearly the Rube Goldberg affair the internet would lead one to believe. 

Edited by almico
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, almico said:

Loading film is not nearly the Rube Goldberg affair the internet would lead one to believe. 

There are lots of dubious YouTube videos! I think the best method is just to follow the manual (starting on p27, and trimming the leader to the profile shown on p29 - untrimmed film with a modern short leader can become damaged, leaving fragments that may jam the mechanism). This can easily be done with scissors, taking care to cut between rather than across sprocket holes and rounding off the corners. Pre-trimmed film can be loaded quickly in the field. I think the alternative tricks involving business cards and poking around with the lens off and the shutter open every time you need to reload are more trouble than they are worth.

On 4/26/2023 at 4:49 PM, earleygallery said:

Nasty?! I wear it as an after shave lotion. It's also tasty as a salad dressing.

I've always used Hoppe's #9 as cologne.  It drives the women wild.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, almico said:

Camera and lens back from Don. Both shutter curtains had some pinholes so it got new ones as well as a new beam splitter. Rangefinder is crystal clear now. Flash socket was also bad so it got replaced as well. Flash now works and can't wait to try this with an off camera flash.

FIlm loaded, 7-8 exposures down, 28 to go. Whatever happened to 12 exposure 35mm film. Taking 36 exposures is a lot of work to just see how the camera is working. 

But... but... but... if it's on the Internet, it MUST be true!!!

Spool your own film and get all the short rolls you want.  It's easy and will save you a LOT of money in the long term.

5 hours ago, almico said:

I'm just piping in to say I just used DAG for the first time for my M4 that had a separated curtain.  Don repaired that, did a CLA, and a few other small things cosmetically.  I was stunned at how much better the camera operates.  I've had it going on 13 years and it's the only M I've owned so didn't really know what they were supposed to feel like.  Well, Don sure as heck knows.  Have fun with the camera. And yeah, follow Leica's instructions, not some youtuber's.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CSGreene said:

.. And yeah, follow Leica's instructions, not some youtuber's.

Even a famous Leica shop has a video showing the worst, incorrect, most film wasting way to load an M.  And that's an 'expert'.

I don't want to say who it is, but will say it rhymes with 'Tamarkin'.

Just follow Leica's instructions.

• Haha 2