Leica M2 - 50mm lens - Vintage or New !

Big Jim

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello ! 
I have a Leica M2 with a 35mm lens and would like to invest in a 50mm lens. Finances are limited ! 

I shoot mostly black and white film. I like classic contrasty shots but also like sharp rather than a soft focus. 

I’m torn between vintage Leica lenses such as the rigid or collapsible Summicron. These seem hard to find in good condition. 

I’ve been reading a lot about the Voigtlander 50mm APO and wondered if the positives of this lens that people are raving about are applicable to film photography rather than digital ? Also I am not sure how much this lens would intrude into the viewfinder mounted on an M2.

Basically I’d be happy to hear your recommendations. 

Some shots and thoughts on the APO Lanthar on film can be found here: https://www.japancamerahunter.com/2023/03/voigtlander-50mm-apo-lanthar-on-film/ In short, you are unlikely to see qualities of the absolute sharpness/perfection on film but it does look to have quite a pleasing focus fall off, I think, which compliments the sharpness very nicely. Viewfinder blockage is a downside.

My favourite 50mm on film is the Zeiss 50mm Sonnar, but it has its quirks. A 50mm Summicron (any version really) is likely to be a good bet if it’s within your budget. I would only search out vintage lenses if you really want that low contrast look. A Zeiss planar would get you a very similar look as a summicron for less.

• Like 2

Hi,

I think it depends a lot on your taste. Best is to look at images shot on film with the lenses you are considering. I am also a film shooter and my favourite 50 for black and white film is the Summicron rigid. I also like the summicron v1 but the rigid’s ergonomics are the best in my opinion. I did not like the v4 but this is just a matter of taste. If you go with an older lens, make sure that you are ok with 1m minimum focusing distance.

@Dzongkha: you can also consider to get your lenses repainted. 

• Like 1

I had a Summicron V5, but found it (in my opinion) lacked distinguishing "character" being almost too perfect. Eventually I got a 50/2 Zeiss Planar, having used the SLR version for several years, and that is my sharp, contrasty 50 lens for my M2. Since I also have screwmount bodies, I tried an older Japanese Canon 50/1.8 which is also quite good, IMHO matching some of the earlier Summicrons and IMHO exceeding the collapsible ones. If you don't shoot too much in really low light, the collapsible Leica 50 Elmar-M/2.8 is razor sharp and contrasty especially with B&W film, and a good choice for compactness...generally can be found for $7-800 USD, used of course.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's worth looking at the collapsible 50:2.8 Elmar-M from the 1990s ..... a remake of a classic lens, available in silver chrome so the style will suit your M2 very nicely.  And this lens is incredibly sharp . It is my sharpest 50 (along with the Summicron v2 rigid) and I have all of the summicrons v2 > v5.

Contrast is good. Well worth looking at and an absolute steal versus Cron pricing.   Others on the forum have said it's their favourite 50. 

I have tone down the sharpness when I use it, otherwise doesn't look consistent with my other images (I don't like super sharp images but sounds like you do).  This one on M10 (grain added)

Downside : Max aperture 2.8 of course. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2023 at 9:39 AM, grahamc said:

It's worth looking at the collapsible 50:2.8 Elmar-M from the 1990s ..... a remake of a classic lens, available in silver chrome so the style will suit your M2 very nicely.  And this lens is incredibly sharp . It is my sharpest 50 (along with the Summicron v2 rigid) and I have all of the summicrons v2 > v5.

Contrast is good. Well worth looking at and an absolute steal versus Cron pricing.   Others on the forum have said it's their favourite 50. 

I have tone down the sharpness when I use it, otherwise doesn't look consistent with my other images (I don't like super sharp images but sounds like you do).  This one on M10 (grain added)

Downside : Max aperture 2.8 of course. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks for this tip. So the 90s version of this lens is significantly better than the original ? 

• Like 1

The Elmar-M of the 1990s is a sharp, contrasty lens, not to be confused with its predecessor. I owned one for several years and my only criticism, which is why I eventually sold it, was  some of them, including mine, extended whenever the camera tilted down and wouldn't stay collapsed. But in terms of optical performance, it was outstanding.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Big Jim said:

Thanks for this tip. So the 90s version of this lens is significantly better than the original ? 

Yes. I don’t know the Elmar original but as @spydrxx has pointed out the 90s version is sharp and contrasty.  In terms of the look it doesn’t fit with my vintage glass at all as it is noticeably sharper.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1