SL2 or SL2-S

LCM94

Advertisement (gone after registration)

23 minutes ago, jaapv said:

And detail that does not get recorded - how are you to know it might have been there on the print? It is most likely completely irrelevant for the photograph.

Well, we don’t know what we don’t know, and we will keep sending bigger and bigger telescopes into space until we find out we didn’t know much after all!  

• Haha 1

On 4/18/2023 at 9:05 PM, drjonb said:

True!  I lived and worked in Hamburg many moons ago, such a beautiful city.  I still remember walking on the Alster once it had frozen to a depth of 14cm!

Man that’s deep. 
i can’t remember that. 
last time was 2010 or 2011.

amazing how small the city gets if you can walk over a lake …. 😝

28 minutes ago, Pelu2010 said:

Man that’s deep. 
i can’t remember that. 
last time was 2010 or 2011.

amazing how small the city gets if you can walk over a lake …. 😝

1990 I think.  The City has changed a lot since then but they can’t change the Alster!

Hello

I viewed several youtube videos regarding the first SL camera, much cheaper used.

As video is not my concern, could it be also a good alternative to the SL2-S ?

With its almost 8 years of existence, is it basically still worth it? Not planning on using any expensive Leica lenses on it, probably Sigma or vintage lenses.

Thanks

17 hours ago, LCM94 said:

Hello

I viewed several youtube videos regarding the first SL camera, much cheaper used.

With its almost 8 years of existence, is it basically still worth it? Not planning on using any expensive Leica lenses on it, probably Sigma or vintage lenses.

Thanks

It is.

21 hours ago, LCM94 said:

Hello

Thanks

To me, it would come down to the used prices you can find for each. For example, it seems many SL models still sell for ~$2000USD or more, and SL2-S models often sell for ~$3800-4000. Based on that, it is a significant difference. However, there have been SL2-S sold used for ~$3200 and SL models sold for $2500+ ... to me, if there was only $1000 or less difference between them, the SL2-S is a far superior camera in many ways (IBIS and low light performance are just 2 that may make an important difference). But if the difference is 2x the price between them, then obviously it is a tougher decision when money is a primary consideration. 

Just one other note I don't see mentioned... it seems the build quality on the SL family of cameras is very good, however it would be expected that the likelihood of having a repair bill with the SL would be far higher than the SL2-S (like buying a 1-2 year old car compared to an 8 year old car). Given that a repair is often $500 or more and could easily exceed $1000, it may be good to consider whether the up front savings will be the best value over time. 

My choice (merely my opinion); I am waiting to see if I can find an SL2-S for $3500 or less and will buy it when I can. 

Brad

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for your comment. Today in France or in Europe you can find one between 3000-3500€ used. 
but guess what I have brought the M240 MP in the equation now 😀
i know a rangefinder is a total different deal. Yet I’m surprised that an 240 MP from 2016 cost used 2900€ (best deal I found in France today). I wonder why this keeps better value even though it’s an « M »?

I'm not sure if the current Leica SL2-S bundle is something you'd consider, but right now the SL2-S along with the new 50mm f/2.0 lens is offered at $5,895.  That's quite a discount from the stand alone prices.  The SL2-S alone is $5,195, and the lens is $1,895.  The kit is priced at $5,895, a discount of $1195.  But until April 30 Leica is offering an additional $1300 discount bringing the price to $4,595.  That is quite a deal from Leica.

Kobra, if for example, you buy the combo and resell the lens you may be able to get a brand new SL2-S body for less than the $3,500 target you have for a used one.

Check out the deals in your area, but they are sponsored by Leica and should be available widely.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lencap said:

I'm not sure if the current Leica SL2-S bundle is something you'd consider, but right now the SL2-S along with the new 50mm f/2.0 lens is offered at $5,895.  That's quite a discount from the stand alone prices.  The SL2-S alone is $5,195, and the lens is $1,895.  The kit is priced at $5,895, a discount of $1195.  But until April 30 Leica is offering an additional $1300 discount bringing the price to $4,595.  That is quite a deal from Leica.

Kobra, if for example, you buy the combo and resell the lens you may be able to get a brand new SL2-S body for less than the $3,500 target you have for a used one.

Check out the deals in your area, but they are sponsored by Leica and should be available widely.

Hi

Yes I know :)

But the only discount I see is -1000€ no additional 1300. That brings the SL2S to 5000€ with the lens.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally went for the SL 601. I found one that I got for 1700€ in perfect working condition, minus some body scratches.

Very happy. Adapted some vintage lenses that I owned on it and they render great:

- Pentax 50mm F1.2

- Pentax 28mm F2.8

- Minolta 35mm F2.8

I also bought a used Sigma 45mm DG DN for autofocus.

I am considering a Voitgtlander lens to compliment with a more modern manual lens. Among this list here, which one would you recommend (any focal length)?

Voitgtlander

Edited by LCM94
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LCM94 said:

I am considering a Voitgtlander lens to compliment with a more modern manual lens. Among this list here, which one would you recommend (any focal length)?

Congrats on your 601. I bought again my own old 601 from a friend who got the new  SL2-s. I would recommend the 35/1.4 Distagon. Modern look and very well balanced on the original SL. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ynp said:

Congrats on your 601. I bought again my own old 601 from a friend who got the new  SL2-s. I would recommend the 35/1.4 Distagon. Modern look and very well balanced on the original SL. 

You mean the Nokton?

5 hours ago, LCM94 said:

You mean the Nokton?

Sorry, I was not clear enough.  I meant The Zeiss 35/1.4 Distagon ZM, it’s the latest Zeiss Leica M mount lens and its stellar. I also like the Voitgtlander 50/2 APO - Lanthar VM  lens. Both have a modern  and clean look. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2023 at 9:38 PM, lencap said:

I just placed an order for the SL2-S and 35 L ASPH.  I believe the additional -$1300 is USA only.  Only problem now is they are on backorder, so the wait begins. 🙂

Edited by soccerrick10
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting set of comments and discussions.  Thanks.  I'm currently reviewing my needs.  I mainly do reportage / documentary work - though since the pandemic there's been a lot of landscape / nature work too.  I currently have 2 SL2 bodies + 24-90 / 90-280 + 35 APO and 75 APO.  I've been very satisfied with all of these, but have wondered of late if there would be an advantage in swapping the SL2 bodies for SL2-S.  The reason would seem to be the SL2-S's low light  performance in venues and events.   However, I also wonder if this just looking for a change!  I'd previously thought of the SL2-S as a strongly video oriented camera - and had little interest in it.  Now I'm wondering.  

Would I be getting better images than the example below?  I am more than happy limiting high ISO to 6400 and use a monopod when I'm working with long lenses.  This was taken in really poor light during a dress rehearsal for a staged performance of the St John Passion.  I was documenting the performance and the work of the orchestra... The only noise reduction was Luminance 20 in LR.  Otherwise I have no problem with the file size on the PC based system I work with....  

All this is probably a case of GAS and I'll get over it in time🙂. One of the problems has been that the SL2 has been so totally boringly predictably EXCELLENT.  While I have had a gripe with the leatherette cover which is far too sensitive (I imagine it's the same on the SL2-S), but otherwise it's been rock solid... I can't really justify a replacement on any other basis than low light performance - but the SL2 is pretty good for my purposes... 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

100% crop

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 6

LR Denoise changes everything. Was about to off-load my SL2 for SL2s, tried the DeNoise function in LR and that changed my intention very quickly! I find it better than Topaz as I've yet to observe an artifact from the algorithm that Adobe is using. I have therefore concluded that I would rather have the extra pixels to allow for additional cropping when needed (and to print 16x20 at 360 ppi rather than 240 ppi, the former being the preferred native resolution input for Epson printers), even if it means some minor additional post-processing work for the SL2 files at high ISO. I suspect the SL3 shall equalize any noise differences between the current SL2 / SL2s. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, jplomley said:

LR Denoise changes everything. Was about to off-load my SL2 for SL2s, tried the DeNoise function in LR and that changed my intention very quickly! I find it better than Topaz as I've yet to observe an artifact from the algorithm that Adobe is using. I have therefore concluded that I would rather have the extra pixels to allow for additional cropping when needed (and to print 16x20 at 360 ppi rather than 240 ppi, the former being the preferred native resolution input for Epson printers), even if it means some minor additional post-processing work for the SL2 files at high ISO. I suspect the SL3 shall equalize any noise differences between the current SL2 / SL2s. 

The point is of course that the same noise improvements in postprocessing also work for the SL2S which maintains its lead. 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, jaapv said:

The point is of course that the same noise improvements in postprocessing also work for the SL2S which maintains its lead. 

Of course, however the SL2 now becomes formidable at higher ISO's mitigating the requirement for an SL2s. Just depends how high an ISO one needs for their imaging under low light conditions. It is rare for me to exceed 6400 ISO as I tend to use the APO Summicrons wide open, preferring that almost cinematic rendering.

• Like 1