Anyone experiences laggy issues on M10-P after taking ~64Gb pictures?

Greenhilltony

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use a Samsung 128Gb SDXC card on my M10-P and I have experienced laggy start-up time and even laggy replaying when my used storage reach almost half of the card, for several times. It seems the camera have to go through the storage to establish something like a search index before it let me do anything. This problem forces me to backup and clean the card at around 40-50Gb used storage every time, or I will risk losing a moment to capture while waiting the camera gets ready when waking up the slept camera or turn it on. This make me feel it unnecessary to use a card larger than 64Gb...

17 hours ago, Somchai said:

Do you use a Mac to edit? If so do you insert the card to the Mac? Via adapter or whatever? Do you plug in the card to the Mac/iPad or any Apple device? 

I transfer files via Wifi to my iPad to edit. I backup the card to a Windows PC. I have formatted the card once on camera and since then the card hasn’t been plugged to any Apple device

8 hours ago, Le Chef said:

It’s likely that the WiFi is not helping. If you have multiple devices running and transferring data back and forth. I would simply use a card reader plugged into the computer to avoid slow downs and potential data loss.

I think using Wi-Fi or card reader has no relation with the issue I’m asking. It is the camera itself running slowly when the storage usage reached a certain amount, making the camera slower than intended when: 1) turned on or woke up from power-saving; 2) entering playback to review photos on the camera. I don’t turn on the Wi-Fi when I’m still outside shooting. It is likely that many other users never run into this if they just use a 64Gb card on it, which I think it is already quite sufficient for shooting pure RAWs. 

I use a maxed out recent MacBook Pro and found that the built in card reader is not as fast as my cheap UH-II USB-C reader. The M10 does not see a benefit from UH-II, but upload times are much faster with UH-II and the proper card reader. I can upload an entire 128gb UH-II card faster with the proper reader than I can upload a 64gb UH-II card and the built in card reader.

I'm using M10, M10-P and M10-R and M8.2. The M8 uses such small cards that I never notice the upload speeds.

Out of curiosity, what difference does it make if one is using a Mac or PC as mentioned earlier.

Edited by 84bravo
added cameras

Why not the camera’s format SD function?

When I load a card into the camera I always format it with the M10P.  Never have an issue with cards, never have to do anything.  Have MACs and iPads too. The only thing I don’t have is huge cards; all mine are 32 gb because that was what I bought years ago.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/22/2023 at 8:55 AM, Somchai said:

Because I use an iPad, but this happens with any Apple device, that when you insert an SD card to anything Apple it immediately puts a Mac hidden folder and starts writing hidden files to the card. So every time I’ve had issues with an SD card it was filled with Mac hidden files. 

After I formatted it with SD card formatter and lock the card every time I put it in the reader I haven’t had any problems. 

The other day it wrote 3 dark frames to the card and when I checked, I forgot to lock the card the day before and the iPad wrote a pile of Mac hidden files to the card. It happens with iPhone or MacBooks or anything from Apple. 

I’ve never owned a camera that was so temperamental with sd cards. For me if the card isn’t perfect the camera acts up. I’ve gotten into a habit of backing up after a while and doing a quick format with sd card formatter before putting it into the camera and I haven’t had any problems since. Unless I forget to lock the card when I put it in the sd card reader for iPad. 

I didn't know that the Mac puts those hidden folders on cards. I haven't used a PC in decades, so I haven't kept up with that side of the house. I wonder if problems are more noticeable when cards are used across platforms of PC and Mac?

Touch wood, I haven't had any card problems with any cameras (Nikon, Canon, Leica) until I used them for years. I've had a couple of cards die. One went through the washing machine too many times (!) and another one just completely stopped working. I think that dead one might have been a counterfeit. Both of those issues were while using Canon cameras.

Only very occasionally have I had a lock up on my M10 series Leicas. Maybe 5-6 times in the last three years or so. Pulling the battery cleared things up every time. My Canon R5 locks up once every other game while shooting pro sports. Very frustrating, but I'm not in a position to replace all of that sports gear with Sony or Nikon. The R5 is a great camera otherwise.

Edited by 84bravo