M10: How heavy a flash can it handle?

BjarniM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just been commissioned for an assignment, and I do not want to buy a Leica flash since I don’t really have a need for it on a daily basis, and I ‘only’ might need it for fill in-light outside in broad daylight.

I have a Nikon SB-24-flash (390 grams plus four AA-batteries) in my drawer for my Nikon equipment, but I am wondering if it’s too heavy for my M10’s hot-shoe.

Does anyone have a qualified answer, how much a flash for the M10 may weigh?

44 minutes ago, BjarniM said:

I have just been commissioned for an assignment, and I do not want to buy a Leica flash since I don’t really have a need for it on a daily basis, and I ‘only’ might need it for fill in-light outside in broad daylight.

I have a Nikon SB-24-flash (390 grams plus four AA-batteries) in my drawer for my Nikon equipment, but I am wondering if it’s too heavy for my M10’s hot-shoe.

Does anyone have a qualified answer, how much a flash for the M10 may weigh?

SF-60, 300g

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use a Minolta 132X, if you can find a good one that works. Its voltage output is less than 3 volts. Problem with third party old flashes is they might be over 6 volts, I think that is a danger to the camera. If you want something new I've read about Godex flashes, the Nikon versions, are suppose to work, but not positive if it is manual mode only or not. The old Minolta 132x flashes are auto with an electronic "eye", but they cannot work well in backlight or bright sunlight settings. You would need to practice and test. I use mine for fill flash indoors and set the camera per. the back dial's recommendation for f/stop, then test it and adjust. Usually bounce off the roof. Its fun to use, cheap...20 bucks or less. Works great for occasional use. 

Whilst my heavy Metz 40MZ-3i is a superb dual reflector speedlight, I’ve recently purchased the Leica SF26 (GN26) which weighs only 124g

I am absolutely surprised and pleased how well the TTL-only SF26 operates on the M10-R. The preflash is so fast , one can hardly observe it.

There is a well hidden instruction in the SF26 user guide to get the flash to work reliably:  “a half press of shutter to enable metering” before the shooting period.

I think this is my new favorite M speedlight for occasional use (slow charge build up after 2-4 consecutive flashes)

• Like 1