APO-Summicron 50mm with M11

Alvin Greis

7 hours ago, Jan1985 said:

Anyone who sells a 50apo in mint condition under 5.000$ doesn’t really know what he is selling.

I have seen a few come across this year in mint condition for $5500 in chrome in the USA, and with wear a little less money.

High price items don't sell quickly and people will go lower eventually.

I got a M11 (mint, used) and immediately also got the 50mm Summilux Black Chrome with it. It was my first 50mm ever, and it just felt so nice with the M11 (my first Leica and rangefinder ever).

I've had no issues with sharpness, and the character of the images are incredible.

I would only consider the new 50 lux FLE 2 to replace my current 50, because I'm really interested in close focus capabilities when I really need it, and who would complain about more aperture blades? It'll give me a slight edge on flexibility, but I'll miss the nice focusing ring.

Along with that, I'm considering adding just the Voigtlander 28mm Ultron II to my kit, so I do have something wider when I need it. I was considering a 35mm, but what someone else up top said, it sucks when the 35 just isn't wide enough, and compression doesn't change too much between a 28 and 35, the way you get with a 50mm. Also, the Voigtlander 28mm is way cheaper and kind of a hidden gem in sharpness etc. I think it's only worse than the Leica Summicron in vignetting wide open, but I love a good vignette.

Some background to give you a sense of what I came from: Work in all sorts of fields, from commercial, fashion, portraits, and fitness using DSLRs (Nikon) with the best sharp lenses (35mm, 85mm 1.4G Nikkor and Zeiss 21/2).

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Somchai said:

Yes. Where I live you can get a brand new 50 APO (with full warranty sealed in the box) from a reputable Leica dealer (but grey market) for $6,000. That’s why here you can get them used for a little less than $5,000 so you save about $1,000 USD (this is converting today to USD). At the Leica store if I convert the retail is $8,081 today. 

Where do you live ?