S lenses with SL2-S

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

S 30-90 on the SL2-S

It seems to me (and I may just be deluding myself) that the SL2-S focuses S lenses more quickly than the old SL 601.  Having the image stabilization feature is terrific.  Further, the better ISO performance is also quite impressive.

I cannot imagine that the new S iteration - if it comes - will not have this feature. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Hi Ropo,

I can really support you view. A SL2-S with S-lenses performs great and is a good addition in case you need IBIS or an EVF.
Here is my set up for a trip to East-Greenland and a bit Iceland

SL2-S with 150-600 mm

S007 with 30-90

Zeiss 15 mm

X-U

Everything fits in a small water tight back pack. 

Andreas

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ImmerDraussen said:

Hi Ropo,

I can really support you view. A SL2-S with S-lenses performs great and is a good addition in case you need IBIS or an EVF.

SL2-S with 150-600 mm

S007 with 30-90

Zeiss 15 mm

X-U

Andreas

Andreas:  I'm off to Iceland this coming July.  

Was going to ask about lens/camera recommendations, so you've pre-empted my question with an answer!  

I'm just getting acquainted with the SL2-S, but am extremely pleased with the improvements from the SL 601.  The eye focus with the S 100 works really well too.  Will post more soon.

Look forward to hearing more about your trip . . . .

Regards,

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, ImmerDraussen said:

Hi Ropo,

SL2-S with 150-600 mm

S007 with 30-90

Zeiss 15 mm

X-U

Andreas

Is that a König Photobag? 

If you are coming with an S body, I would recommend the 35, 70 and 120. Those are the most useful lenses here, I think. The 180 is a bit long for much of the landscape work (you often have to cut off either the ground or the tops of the mountains…120 lets you bring the landscape close, but not cut it off). The landscape is already so wide open that the super wides tend to make everything look very far away. I had the 30-90 but never got on with it too well. The primes will give you better edge to edge sharpness which is important for landscapes that have a lot of equidistant detail at near infinity. It is even more challenging because a lot of that detail does a great job showing lens softness, as it tends to be very high contrast, like white snow and black rocks. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

PS, if you want the best results with the 70, you are best off stopping down to 6.8-13 to maximize sharpness and minimize the field curvature, which will otherwise give you soft edges at distance (though sharp closer to the camera). The 35mm is also best stopped down a bit. The 120 needs to be stopped down only for depth of field. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Stuart,

thanks for your comments. I fully agree in your view. The primes are much better, especially the look of the 70mm is difficult to get with any other lens.

The trip in Greenland is mainly done with Zodiacs in combination with hiking sessions. I wanted to avoid lens changes on the water and weight plays role. As Norbert Rosing (maybe you know his name from polar bear pictures) is guiding us, I didn‘t want to leave the long tele at home. This might explain my choice.

Maybe I should take your advice and go for 35mm + 120mm combination.

Regards

Andreas

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

If you are coming with an S body, I would recommend the 35, 70 and 120. Those are the most useful lenses here, I think. The 180 is a bit long for much of the landscape work (you often have to cut off either the ground or the tops of the mountains…120 lets you bring the landscape close, but not cut it off). The landscape is already so wide open that the super wides tend to make everything look very far away. I had the 30-90 but never got on with it too well. The primes will give you better edge to edge sharpness which is important for landscapes that have a lot of equidistant detail at near infinity. It is even more challenging because a lot of that detail does a great job showing lens softness, as it tends to be very high contrast, like white snow and black rocks. 

Stuart:

Appreciate that advice as well.  Thank you.

Rob

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ImmerDraussen said:

Hi Stuart,

thanks for your comments. I fully agree in your view. The primes are much better, especially the look of the 70mm is difficult to get with any other lens.

The trip in Greenland is mainly done with Zodiacs in combination with hiking sessions. I wanted to avoid lens changes on the water and weight plays role. As Norbert Rosing (maybe you know his name from polar bear pictures) is guiding us, I didn‘t want to leave the long tele at home. This might explain my choice.

Maybe I should take your advice and go for 35mm + 120mm combination.

Regards

Andreas

I think you should take what you are comfortable with! Most of my work is done from not too far from the car, and without the constraints of time, so I can totally see how the zoom is a good decision in that context. It is a very useful range. In practical terms, it is sharp enough in most situations. I agree that having a long lens is very useful, and I imagine it would be more useful in Greenland than in Iceland. But if I were coming to Iceland with the SL, I think the 90-280 would be in my bag. But for the S, I would take the 120 over the 180, since there is no telephoto zoom anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Iceland I have used both digital M and S, not at the same time. In one trip I took two S 006 cameras with 24, 30, 70 and 180. I used the 24 the most and the 30 the least.

The first time I took M9 with 28, 50 and 90, which would be similar to 35, 70 and 120 with the S.

https://djessemay.com/gallery/iceland/iceland-black-white.html

Edited by djmay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not to discourage the conversation on lens recommendations for Iceland, as I'm still interested in hearing thoughts, but still experimenting with the S lenses on the SL2S.  Here's one with the SL2S and the S100

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

I'm leaving  soon with my family to Iceland for a 2 weeks trip in the south and west part.
Myself will take a SL2-S with a Panasonic 16-35  and a 35mm SL-Summicron ASPH.
My wife will take a Panasonic S5II with the lightweight 20-60mm Panasonic lens.
My daughter will take the ultra lightweight VLUX-114.
I think this should be sufficient to cover the nature, but any recommendations of course would be welcome (maybe a 24-70mm f2.8 or the 24-90mm).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, djmay said:

In Iceland I have used both digital M and S, not at the same time. In one trip I took two S 006 cameras with 24, 30, 70 and 180. I used the 24 the most and the 30 the least.

The first time I took M9 with 28, 50 and 90, which would be similar to 35, 70 and 120 with the S.

https://djessemay.com/gallery/iceland/iceland-black-white.html

I am going to Iceland this summer too... Will be cerrying the S007 + 24, 35, 70, 100 and 120 for sure. Maybe will buy a used 180 to ad to the bunch before I go. But after seeing your awesome and inspiring B&W photos on your web site, I will definitely add the M10M with some M glass.... Kudos @djmay for your work!

• Like 3

S100 on SL2-s

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

S180 w close focus adapter on SL2-s

• Like 5

It is exciting to see how well the SL2-S works with the S lenses.  (My sense is that the S lenses also focus faster on the SL2-S as compared to the original SL).

Assuming there is a mirrorless S4 coming, it should be extraordinary with image stabilization, faster AF, eye detect focus, better ISO, and I suspect a new cadre of smaller lenses (along with an adapter for our older S lenses!).

• Like 4