New: Leica M11 Monochrom

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

New: Leica M11 Monochrom

Focused on the Essence of Photography: Creating Pictures with Light and Shadow

Wetzlar, 13th April 2023. Leica Camera AG has always gone its own way, and its courageous decisions were doubted more than once. Success, however, proved the long-established company right. Even in 2012, when it decided to be the only manufacturer worldwide to launch a camera with a dedicated black-and-white sensor: the Leica M Monochrom. Today, in the eleventh year of the Monochrom success story and with a treasure of experience from almost 70 years of Leica rangefinder cameras, Leica Camera AG introduces the fourth camera generation with black-and-white sensor: the new Leica M11 Monochrom.

With its sensor completely geared to black-and-white photography, the Leica M11 Monochrom focuses like no other camera on the most basic of all photographic practices: the composition of pictures solely through light and shadow.

With the monochrome multi-resolution full-format sensor exclusively developed for the new M generation, the M11 Monochrom provides extraordinary black-and-white images. Raw files in the DNG format or JPEGs with a resolution of either 60, 36 or 18 megapixels can be created. In combination with the enormous ISO range of 125 to 200,000, the camera grants an extreme creative freedom when taking pictures. As a result, you get images with an unprecedented rendition of even the finest details, an exceptionally natural-looking definition even in difficult light conditions and an extremely low noise even in the high ISO range.

The 256 GB internal memory and the convenient connectivity to the Leica FOTOS app ensure an optimal mobile workflow. Via Bluetooth or the USB-C port, pictures can be quickly and easily transferred to the app and processed further from there. In addition, the camera can be directly controlled with the app and photos can be immediately assessed at the smartphone or tablet

thanks to tethered preview. Moreover, the Leica M11 Monochrom is a certified Apple “Made for iPhone and iPad” accessory and thus offers unique options with the included Leica FOTOS cable.

With an all-metal body and a top plate made of high-quality aluminium, with a sapphire glass display, solid leather covering as well as black, scratch-resistant paint finish, the M11 Monochrom presents itself in a timeless and unobtrusive M design. Details such as the deliberate omission of the Leica logo and the dark chrome-plated coating of the optical viewfinder underline the reduced, iconic design of the new addition to the legendary Leica M family.

Thanks to the build quality typical of Leica, the new Leica M11 Monochrom combines all the requirements of a premium camera “Made in Germany”.

The Leica M11 Monochrom will be available globally at all Leica Stores, the Leica Online Store and authorized dealers starting now. The recommended retail price will be €9,450.00 including VAT.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like they don‘t dare to call the 10k+?

Mono lovers might go for it anyways?

oops I started the money thing issue 😉

I hope they fixed the freeze issues of the M11 then at least.

Edited by Mefty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, blaaberkat said:

I would be very interested in the M10M, to supplement my Q2M and M11, but I don’t think the price on the M10M will drop at all.

There’s never been many used M10Ms on the market, and I think for the majority the M10M is the sweet spot for the perfect monochrome camera. 

Seems like that to me, too.  There will probably be a few more available, but not any kind of glut that'll drive the price down.  And it will for a while still to be next "best" used alternative to a new Monochrom, that will now but the  M11M but that doesn't change the position of used M10Ms in the market for a while.  And the price of the M11M will make the current prices of the used M10Ms not look so high.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, erudolph said:

I’ve seen it on the M10M when an extremely low light, high ISO file is pushed.

And I've seen it on the original CCD sensor Monochrom-M. High ISO night shots pushed again, and in my case was possibly exacerbated by getting medieval on the DNG with some Silver Efex presets.

7 hours ago, John Smith said:

What is with the concentric circles at 50K+ ? Video at 8:06. Hadn't seen that before.

It could very well be the lens profile used either in camera or in post to correct vignetting. Most likely the in-camera vignette correction. I've seen this with Fuji GFX cameras too. 

Best to shoot without lens coding to either confirm or rule it out.

Edited by hmzimelka

32 minutes ago, jplomley said:

Hope this is not a bifurcated sensor with a resultant line down the middle! Had that on two M10M cameras. 

The M11 has the same bifurcation but with my experience across four M11 cameras I've only had one case where it was obvious.

The bifurcation on my M10M was quite obvious, Leica said it was in spec and refused to replace it, so my dealer took it back and sold me a M11. Still regret not having the M10M. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by hmzimelka

7 hours ago, Marckyokay said:

This would have been THE opportunity to create a "classic" M11 with brass and black chrome... I miss that look. 
Less weight is cool, but the touch and look of my M10-D just was amazing compared to the matte black paint of the new Ms.

The black chrome finish has been retired due to environmental concerns. It will be variations of black paint from now on.

2 hours ago, hdmesa said:

The black chrome finish has been retired due to environmental concerns. It will be variations of black paint from now on.

I know. But I still must say that I prefer it. Just like the weight of my brass M10.

Was hoping we would go to something classic for the next Monochrom.

12 hours ago, jplomley said:

Hope this is not a bifurcated sensor with a resultant line down the middle! Had that on two M10M cameras. 

All these sensors are read out in two halves for speed That can create the centerfold issue when the two ADCs and amplification stages are slightly unbalanced. The sensor itself is not the cause of the problem. Hasselblad used to be particularly prone to this phenomenon. 

M11 Mono & New 50mm f1.4 JPEG straight out of camera

• Like 9