One-owner M3 DS gets new leather cover

Advertisement (gone after registration)

33 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Yes, Aki laments the unreasonable new shipping costs on his website.  Apparently something changed in 2021 that caused shipping from Japan to become exorbitant

He offers shipping via UPS for $25.  OK, that's as much as (or more than) the cost of the replacement leather, but it's not that bad.  I mean, we are talking Leicas here ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

Yes, Aki laments the unreasonable new shipping costs on his website.  Apparently something changed in 2021 that caused shipping from Japan to become exorbitant

I decided that I wanted something dignified and appropriate, but that still made the camera look different from Vulcanite.  I think I succeeded with this cover.

Yes, you did well!😃

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mediumformula said:

Your camera looks great.   I tried buying a skin through Morgan a couple years ago but unfortunately had to request a refund through paypal when he suddenly became unresponsive.  I have used Hugo Studios for several Barnacs and my M3 with mixed results.  Some of them fit really well but my M3 one is a little too small.  They are cheap enough that I might try ordering another through them and hope it fits better. I even re-skinned my Canon F1 New with black leather and it looks and feels great.

In other news, I had to send my MP in for repair to Leica NJ to get the jammed frame selector fixed.  For some reason they have to remove the leather covering to do this repair.  I was upset because I have an A La Cart MP with a grey natural leather covering that will be removed for the repair and they were going replace it with vulcanite.  I personally hate the plastic coverings so I raised a protest and long story short, they don't have access to my grey A La Cart leather anymore but they gave me other natural leather options and I chose black saddle leather, which the Leica NJ lady said looked nice.   You'll also all be interested to know that the invoice amount for the vulcanite on the repair was $50 and the amount for the saddle leather is $200.  This is all supposed to be covered under my 5 year mechanical warranty so I won't be paying for it. 

That's interesting about Morgan AND Hugo.   I suppose that sometimes it's the luck of the draw.

I think I'd be livid if I had an Ala Carte MP with special leather and they couldn't replace it.  But, of course, an ala cart MP is way above my paygrade, so I suppose I'll not have to be concerned about it.  ;)

1 hour ago, logan2z said:

He offers shipping via UPS for $25.  OK, that's as much as (or more than) the cost of the replacement leather, but it's not that bad.  I mean, we are talking Leicas here ;)

You have a point, of course.   I say the same thing about Airstreams (I have an Interstate.)   But the fact is that I'm notoriously frugal (read CHEAP) and I don't spend money I don't have to. 😉

3 hours ago, hepcat said:

That's interesting about Morgan AND Hugo.   I suppose that sometimes it's the luck of the draw.

I think I'd be livid if I had an Ala Carte MP with special leather and they couldn't replace it.  But, of course, an ala cart MP is way above my paygrade, so I suppose I'll not have to be concerned about it.  ;)

I am annoyed that they cant do the repair without removing the cover, but I bought my A La Cart off the shelf from a Leica store and didn't order it myself so I didn't chose the grey leather cover.  I was kind of impartial about it and mainly like it because it was natural leather instead of something synthetic.  I am content that they are replacing it with natural leather and you can't go wrong with black.  It will still have an A La Carte skin on it, just not the one it came with three years ago.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 hours ago, Huss said:

It is a plastic trim ring that goes over the vf surround - it makes it look like a modern Leica like MP/M6 etc.  I have them on my M3, M5 etc.  It is very nice as it looks stock, and prevents you from scratching your glasses.

https://www.dagcamera.com/store/p109/Plastic_Eyepiece_Guard_for_all_metal_M_eyepieces.html

I've had one of these plastic surrounds and two little plugs to fit the flash ports that I got from DAG when I got my M4 about 12 years ago.  Nice, reversible upgrade.

• Like 1

IIRC the M3 focus-patch is golden as the rangefinder prism is coated gold or whatever yellowish. The yellow patch has really better contrast than the subsequent-till-now white patch. I'm a bit short-sighted, and can't really use those white focus-patch well without a diopter glass, but on an Olympus 35SP, which has a yellow patch and blueish coated viewfinder, the contrast is significant making the focus so easy.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/11/2023 at 11:50 PM, Huss said:

I found that Aki-Asahi's skins fit better than anyone else's.  Always perfect.  I have also tried Hugo Studios as well as Cameraleather.

But.. the Aki-Asahi leather has a plasticky finish, while the Cameraleather is much more lux.  However the Aki ones seem like they will last/wear much better.

There’s an option for genuine cowhide leather huss, they r precisely laser cut and i have to agree, i use for my hasselblad 500 series too

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jakontil said:

There’s an option for genuine cowhide leather huss, they r precisely laser cut and i have to agree, i use for my hasselblad 500 series too

I did not know that!  Thanks for the tip.