Leica Q3 ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, Del_Pierro said:

I agree - I tried the Q3 on the launch event and couldn't believe how bad the AF-experience is in the current state. It was pumping like the Q2, was not faster and just introduced rectangles on faces and bodies all over the place. I hoped for a tilt screen (check) on the Q3 and better af experience. I didn't expect the Q3 to be on par with my 6 years old Sony A9 but that speed and experience is so much worse is really disappointing. That even the new processor is not able to keep the EVF quality at 120 hz is also bad news. 

I already sold the Q2 since I didn't expect this so I will wait for firmware updates to see if the Q3 will improve, otherwise I might be done with the Q series for the moment. 

I’ve heard reviewers mention erratic AF behavior before the Q3 launch. I’m hopeful that this will be improved once Leica has a chance to tune and refine the AF algorithm. It wouldn’t surprise me if the launch was delayed because they needed more time to improve the AF from where it was leading up to the launch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beewee said:

I’ve heard reviewers mention erratic AF behavior before the Q3 launch. I’m hopeful that this will be improved once Leica has a chance to tune and refine the AF algorithm. It wouldn’t surprise me if the launch was delayed because they needed more time to improve the AF from where it was leading up to the launch.

Think back to how poor the SL model 610 was on release. I expect the same progression for the Q3. After having had a Contax G1 and G2 any other AF system seems good. 

Wilson

On 5/27/2023 at 11:23 AM, wlaidlaw said:

All credit to Phase One. I downloaded the update today to C1.23, where I had only acquired the software yesterday and there is a profile for the Q3 in there. Big change from when the SL came out, when it took nine months to get a profile on C1 and that was only after a forum member lent them his personal camera. 

Wilson

Hey, Wilson...where to you find the Q3 profile in C1?  Lost!  Ha!

55 minutes ago, reynoldsyoung said:

Generic or ProStandard you think?

I am currently using ProStandard but have not yet had the opportunity of taking a lot of photos. I'll stick with that and just see how it goes when I get the chance to do some landscape photography next week.

Stephen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, reynoldsyoung said:

Hey, Wilson...where to you find the Q3 profile in C1?  Lost!  Ha!

Here:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

PS I don't see much difference between Pro Standard and Generic. Maybe this is work in progress.

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

I am pleasantly surprised at how crisp the 90mm 6MP crop images are but I suppose thinking back, I was perfectly happy with the low ISO images taken with my Digilux 2 at 5MP and the noise level of the Q3 is way lower. I have printed my M8 10MP pictures to 24" x 36" using the Epson RIP engine for their 7990 printer (the Topaz Gigapixel Resize program of its day) and there was no perceptible pixellation. 

Wilson

3 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Here:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

PS I don't see much difference between Pro Standard and Generic. Maybe this is work in progress.

Wilson

Again, Stephen and Wilson....thanks so much!  I will go with ProStandard for now.  Let me know if you see from results a need to change to Generic.  YOU guys are the best!!

Edited by reynoldsyoung
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 5/26/2023 at 12:57 PM, wlaidlaw said:

There was a knock at the door a few minutes ago and to my astonishment, there was the same smiling driver that has been my Parcelforce deliveryman for over 20 years, handing me a package from Ffordes with my Q3 inside. I said to him that I had been just phoned by Parcelforce, to tell me that his vehicle had been in an accident and had been towed back to the Gatwick depot. They were investigating to see if I could drive up there to collect and would phone me back. The accident was news to my driver. Obviously a cock up at PF HQ. 

Have others found the lens cap exceedingly tight? With my arthritic hands it is a real struggle to get it off. I suppose that is better than the self-losing caps some other Leica lenses have had e.g. the lens hood cap on the 35 ASPH Summilux, where a puff of wind can blow it off. 

Wilson

PS PLEASE NOTE: I had to update FW to 1.1 before Fotos would communicate and allow remote operation. 

yes mines a bit tight too yet too understand loading the film type stuff on the mighty  3 

On 6/4/2023 at 2:49 AM, robb said:

Lloyd Chambers is not a fan of the 28 sharpness on the Q and other items.

https://diglloyd.com/blog/2023/20230524_2100-LeicaQ3.html

Posted elsewhere on this and other forums was this reviewer’s lack of credibility. He simply doesn’t understand modern lens design and how you use software to perfect performance. You believe what you want to believe but both my former Q2 and current Q3 both have sharp lenses with no complaints.

Edited by Le Chef
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone

Long-time member here, enjoying most of the content on these forums.

I'm looking to buy the Q3 after a lot of research and there are few things I'd like your insight on...

For example, is there a Sharpness setting on the Q3 menu? Some of the photo samples I've been on the net are rather over-sharpened by default, so I think it would be good to have the option to bring sharpness down for .jpgs.

Leica users: “I spend 5k on a lens to get that 1% extra performance”

Also Leica users: “I don’t care if the Q lens is a bit soft in the corners”

ok 🤷‍♂️

With customers like these, no wonder Leica can get away with rebranding and reselling cheap Panasonic and Sigma lenses at 3-4 times the original price. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1