Leica Q3 ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

If, as rumours suggest, the Q2 might be retained as a "Q-E", then such a conclusion may not be safe.

You might reasonably assume that a Q-E would come maybe a year after the Q3, so autumn 2024? We don’t know if the Q-E will be a decontented Q2 or just renamed. If decontented then the firmware would have to change again. It still begs the question why go through the bother and expense of introducing new firmware now if the Q2, according to experts here and at LeicaRumors, is due for imminent replacement?

17 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

You might reasonably assume that a Q-E would come maybe a year after the Q3, so autumn 2024? We don’t know if the Q-E will be a decontented Q2 or just renamed. If decontented then the firmware would have to change again. It still begs the question why go through the bother and expense of introducing new firmware now if the Q2, according to experts here and at LeicaRumors, is due for imminent replacement?

Leica Rumors suggest that the Q-E would be a continuing Q2, in the same way that the M9 became the M-E when the M240 was launched. It provided a lower cost entry to the digital M world, (and perhaps to compensate for higher prices for the new model). If that is the case, then there is no reason not to update its firmware now.

But Leica Rumors are just another fortune teller - as we all are.

1 hour ago, Le Chef said:

Do you know why? On the surface of it, it doesn’t make sense to do so.

They are not the only one. Fuji does the same. Sony doesn't. I don't know about Canon or Nikon. We should be happy Leica is still trying to improve a EOL camera. 

As for the why, it shows commitment to the platform and to your customers, and it's a way to build trust. Too bad they screwed it up with the CL fiasco, but that's another story.

To be honest, I'm surprised these improvements were not released earlier in the game. Basically from the look of it, it seems like a limited porting, due to hardware constrains, of the 3.0 firmware for the SL line, released in Summer 2021.

Kudos to Fuji for doing this. It’s great if Leica did this for the SL1, but they lack consistency - why not Q, or CL, or TL, or any of the M’s? - and therefore a real commitment to the idea of supporting customers once models have been replaced.

On 4/23/2023 at 2:31 PM, T25UFO said:

This seems most unlikely.  Leica Manchester are quoting up to 16 weeks delivery for the Q2 Disney.  I doubt this latest limited edition would overlap with the Q3.

Q2 Disney is now shipping in the USA.

15 hours ago, unfalsoguru said:

I was thinking about waiting for the Q3, but right now I feel I will go ahead and buy the Q2 Reporter. 

Does anyone know how "fast" a Leica moves on the second-hand market? In case they release the Q3 this year I don't mind losing a bit of money and sell it.

Soonest the Q3 is announced, I suspect there will be a raft of "musthavethelatestthinggrophers" who will put their Q2 on the market. That may slow the selling speed down and/or drive prices downwards.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, unfalsoguru said:

I was thinking about waiting for the Q3, but right now I feel I will go ahead and buy the Q2 Reporter. 

Does anyone know how "fast" a Leica moves on the second-hand market? In case they release the Q3 this year I don't mind losing a bit of money and sell it.

Don’t buy reporter version unless you are ok with ugly Kevlar finish. It will looks like a rough old pull over. Very off-putting

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not the paint. I am talking about the Kevlar part replacing the leatherette. 
My local Leica Store is selling used Reporter cameras at a usually high discount due to aging fast fabrics. 
They also offer to replace it entirely 

22 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Not the paint. I am talking about the Kevlar part replacing the leatherette. 
My local Leica Store is selling used Reporter cameras at a usually high discount due to aging fast fabrics. 
They also offer to replace it entirely 

I know you're not talking about the paint. The fibre wrap on mine looks virtually the same as when I bought it, after exactly a year of heavy use.

Tell us the name of your local Leica store so we can see its stocks and prices.

And then ask the store to post the same comments here and I might believe them.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I know you're not talking about the paint. The fibre wrap on mine looks virtually the same as when I bought it, after exactly a year of heavy use.

Tell us the name of your local Leica store so we can see its stocks and prices.

And then ask the store to post the same comments here and I might believe them.

My Reporter is also in very good shape, though I saw on the net that some had issues. The Q2 Reporter is my favorite Q2 camera ... at least until my Q2 Disney arrives 😜.

1 minute ago, SrMi said:

My Reporter is also in very good shape, though I saw on the net that some had issues. The Q2 Reporter is my favorite Q2 camera ... at least until my Q2 Disney arrives 😜.

Yes, I've seen some similar reports. I have no doubt it happens. But I was responding to a post that implied they would wear badly for certain. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, soccerrick10 said:

Today’s Leica Rumors says in the next 2-3 weeks or by the end of May ‘23.

https://leicarumors.com/2023/04/28/the-latest-leica-q3-camera-rumors.aspx/

A lot of reasons why what Leica Rumors says makes no sense. Not least of which are a new Disney Special Edition and new firmware for a camera that according to them is supposedly going to be replaced in less than a month. The reality is Leica will launch it when it makes business sense for them and not when some cheap site looking for clicks thinks it’s the right time.