Leica S system being discontinued?

Sanji

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, LeicaR10 said:

I think some may not recall the S3 sensor was Leica designed to include its architecture and custom made for that camera.  Both the sensor and architecture were used in the follow on M camera sensors.  I highly suspect Leica will be going the same route again.  The S4 will be unlike any other MF camera out there.  Might be a good time to start saving for it.  As you all know, Leica enjoys surprising the photographic world...I expect nothing less.  r/ Mark

S007 and M240 shared sensor architecture; same with S3 and M10-R/M10M.  Spreads cost for custom design.  I also wouldn’t be surprised that S4 shares architecture across lines.

Jeff

I am not sure if the original sensor of the GFX 100 is the same as the new Hassie’s, but my impression is that the same sensor can be tuned very differently depending on the brand and the user experience they want to provide.

Definitely the white balance of the GFX was warmer and more leaning to the magenta than the one of the original GFX 50s, and the files look quite different from those of the Hasselblad I’ve seen on reviews. The color on the Hasselblad seems more natural. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At the beginning

On 5/5/2023 at 8:01 PM, irenedp said:

I am not sure if the original sensor of the GFX 100 is the same as the new Hassie’s, but my impression is that the same sensor can be tuned very differently depending on the brand and the user experience they want to provide.

Definitely the white balance of the GFX was warmer and more leaning to the magenta than the one of the original GFX 50s, and the files look quite different from those of the Hasselblad I’ve seen on reviews. The color on the Hasselblad seems more natural. 

Even if the sensor is the same, the Bayer filter, microlenses and IR filter will differ by camera brand.

On 5/13/2023 at 7:21 PM, Googaliser said:

Have also heard from a knowledgeable person that the S4 system is well into development. I didn't know my S3 was one of only 300 though....

possibly this >

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gael.e said:

I have no intent of changing the S3 for a mirrorless -I do have mirrorless cameras and don't see a lot of difference-, but it would be nice that the lenses could be adaptable, maybe with a converter, as Nikon did with the Zs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, irenedp said:

I have no intent of changing the S3 for a mirrorless -I do have mirrorless cameras and don't see a lot of difference-, but it would be nice that the lenses could be adaptable, maybe with a converter, as Nikon did with the Zs.

I Absolutely agree. The S lenses are fantastic as-is. Considering that Leica still makes batteries for the M8, https://store.leica-camera.com/at/en/leica-rechargable-battery-for-m8/m9/m-e/m-monochrom,  I trust they will continue to make batteries available for the S 007 and S3. I would like to try an S3, but the S(007) has honestly fit every need of mine for a camera. Perhaps not every wish, which no camera can do, but every practical need.

Pure speculation: I have a hunch that the next iteration of lenses made for the mirrorless S body will render much more like the SL lenses. Many consumers put a lot of stock in test charts, graphs, and numbers when making camera purchases. I don't blame them; lenses and cameras can be so subjective otherwise.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gael.e said:

I Absolutely agree. The S lenses are fantastic as-is. Considering that Leica still makes batteries for the M8, https://store.leica-camera.com/at/en/leica-rechargable-battery-for-m8/m9/m-e/m-monochrom,  I trust they will continue to make batteries available for the S 007 and S3. I would like to try an S3, but the S(007) has honestly fit every need of mine for a camera. Perhaps not every wish, which no camera can do, but every practical need.

Pure speculation: I have a hunch that the next iteration of lenses made for the mirrorless S body will render much more like the SL lenses. Many consumers put a lot of stock in test charts, graphs, and numbers when making camera purchases. I don't blame them; lenses and cameras can be so subjective otherwise.

Yes, the new incarnation of S-lenses will be optically superb, on line with the SL-lenses, I believe. Personally, I like the rendering of the existing S-lenses, but that is just me... 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, irenedp said:

I am not interested in the new mirrorless Medium Format Leica.  If I were, I’d have  bought a new Hasselblad. 
I am not sure that the new S4 will be supporting adapter stacking or introduce the new adapters for my HC and Contax 645 lenses. 
For me waiting for the Sl3 is more sensible, it will integrate my TL and S lenses into one system. I will use my 601 for the nearest future as my only full frame camera. 

• Like 1

The Leica online store in Australia no longer shows the Leica S system in it's list. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

When Leica introduced the S system and the SL system they had at least one adapter announced with it.  I am sure they would announce an S-Mirrorless with an adapter for the existing lenses.  Very few S bodies sell (compared to the other lines) and even fewer would if you had to buy a lens to use it.

I looked hard at the new hasselblad as it is a great size, takes the slimmer CF cards and the sensor is 43x32, similar to the S.  But even if I did, it would require a few lenses and their 38, 55, 90 are f/2.8 which is great, but more cash.  

The hope is that any new S lenses have some character and are not clinical.

13 minutes ago, davidmknoble said:

The hope is that any new S lenses have some character and are not clinical.

Although I agree, optical perfection will likely be the target, similarly to the SL Crons. For character, older lenses can be used with adapters, including the outstanding - but still not too clinical - S-lenses. My bet, clearly. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, helged said:

Although I agree, optical perfection will likely be the target, similarly to the SL Crons. For character, older lenses can be used with adapters, including the outstanding - but still not too clinical - S-lenses. My bet, clearly. 

Unfortunately ‘ fortunately, I agree.  The technology advances are clearly there.  The real question is will they up the f/stop say from 2.8 to 4.0 similar to the SL ‘crons, which appear to be a wider stop because of the high level of contrast.  That would make lenses smaller and lighter…. 

I keep shying away from the Hasselblad only because the S is so well weather sealed.

• Like 1