Leica price list 1957 or 58?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/7/2023 at 8:27 AM, stray cat said:

Here's a price list from a store selling Leicas from the May, 1957 issue of Popular Photography magazine. The IIIF and IIIG prices are listed as around 33% lower than the equivalent M3 specification:

Third from bottom in the left-hand column;

"Leica M-3 f1.1.......488.00"

What on Earth is that lens? In comparison with the M3 with Summicron it commands a whopping $213 premium!

Philip.

1 hour ago, pippy said:

Third from bottom in the left-hand column;

"Leica M-3 f1.1.......488.00"

What on Earth is that lens? In comparison with the M3 with Summicron it commands a whopping $213 premium!

Philip.

1 hour ago, andybarton said:

When did the f1.2 Noctilux first arrive? I thought that it was in the mid 60s. More likely to be a typo for a Summilux.

That will be the Zunow - see post #12 above.

Someone is asking £7,766 for this lens on ebay, and Bellamy Hunt is advertising one with a coy 'Please enquire directly for pricing'.

Edited by Anbaric
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Anbaric said:

That will be the Zunow...

Ah! Thanks for that clarification, Anbaric, and apologies for not having made the connection with post 12 earlier but my mind was still assuming the M3 would be paired with a Leitz lens so My Mistake!

I've read and seen a fair bit about Zunow lenses but - dare I say it? - I've never been too fond of the rendering. As it happens at this very moment there is a well-known London dealership  offering an "Auto Terra Super (Teraoka Seikoshi); Rare clockwork-wind camera with Zunow lens." the lens in this instance being a rather more prosaic 45mm f1.8 Zunow. The asking price - £350 - seems to be quite a fair sum for such an interesting camera.......and I DO love the 45mm f/length...

Philip.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pippy said:

Ah! Thanks for that clarification, Anbaric, and apologies for not having made the connection with post 12 earlier but my mind was still assuming the M3 would be paired with a Leitz lens so My Mistake!

I've read and seen a fair bit about Zunow lenses but - dare I say it? - I've never been too fond of the rendering. As it happens at this very moment there is a well-known London dealership  offering an "Auto Terra Super (Teraoka Seikoshi); Rare clockwork-wind camera with Zunow lens." the lens in this instance being a rather more prosaic 45mm f1.8 Zunow. The asking price - £350 - seems to be quite a fair sum for such an interesting camera.......and I DO love the 45mm f/length...

Philip.

This site makes it sound pretty interesting:

https://mikeeckman.com/2022/11/teraoka-auto-terra-super-1959/

Though I think if I were spending £350, that dealer has a really nice Nikon F with plain prism...

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Anbaric said:

This site makes it sound pretty interesting...

Wow! Thank you very much, Anbaric, for posting that truly fascinating link!

It does, as you quite rightly say, make the 'normal' camera sound rather intriguing but when we throw the Zunow lens variant into the mix? It really MUST be something wonderful for the right person to acquire. If I was a Collector I'd have pushed the 'Buy It Now' button already!!!

Fortunately for me I have the Nikon F base well and truly covered...

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1