Sign in to follow this  
enboe

Poll on absolute reliability

I have only ONE black M8 body that i purchased in Feb 4th from Photo Village in NY.

It has over 13,000 frames of use since and aside from the mad scrolling and the occasional freezeup from shooting too fast/frequently in a studio portrait setting (requiring battery removal) my M8 has been FLAWLESS.

I have shot in -40 degrees Canadian winter weather, +40 degree humid summer heat, I've shot in rain, snow, from an open-door helicopter, and about 2 weeks ago, I was in London and had my M8 caught in a subway door.....works just fine.

It is a fantastic camera--finicky yes, but hey its a Leica.

Guest tummydoc

It has over 13,000 frames of use since and aside from the mad scrolling and the occasional freezeup from shooting too fast/frequently in a studio portrait setting (requiring battery removal) my M8 has been FLAWLESS.

So in short, except for its flaws it's flawless

and about 2 weeks ago, I was in London and had my M8 caught in a subway door.....works just fine.

Andy--Don't you know you're supposed to put your knee in the door to protect the M8 in these situations.

So in short, except for its flaws it's flawless

Of course. Any camera that only "occasionally" freezes up in the middle of a studio shoot is flawless.

My questions for you:

1) How long have you owned your M8

2) Approximately how many frames have you shot

3) Has the camera malfunctioned during this time

4) How frequently has it malfunctioned

1) 1 year

2) 7000

3) Failed firmware upgrade, returned to Solms. The camera returned with hardware failure, sent it back to Solms and now works fine.

4) Froze many times and had to remove the battery. Lost more than 24 shots using a Sandisk Extreme III 2GB card, not aprooved by Leica though so that counts as my fault...