Poll on absolute reliability

enboe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've polled many M8 users I know personally and all of them who've had issues requiring sorting at Leica had serial #s in the 3,1xx,xxx range. Those with serial #s in the 3,3xx,xxx range have suffered only the chronic fundamental M8 design flaws such as the useless AWB, the scrolling and perhaps an occasional lockup which was cured by simply removing and replacing the battery.

I don't know about the serial numbers you cite, because my dealer proposed me one, brand new, still at the ancient price, last production, delivered in december 2007,

# 319xxx.

I'm surprised Leica would be now at #330, meaning 11 000 cameras since late november 2007 ?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Body 1

1) How long have you owned your M8

12 months

2) Approximately how many frames have you shot

> 8000

3) Has the camera malfunctioned during this time

Yes - but trivial problems

4) How frequently has it malfunctioned

1 SD card failure (not the camera's fault)

1 lockup requiring battery removal (but not since latest software)

Body 2

8 months

>6000

Yes - but it was my fault - I dropped it!

How frequently has it malfunctioned

1 time - rangefinder out of alignment - fixed for free with UK Passport cover

1 lockup requiring battery removal (but not since latest software)

No problems with my Canon's either...

Best

Guest tummydoc

Steve, Tony: I said that all the M8s I've heard of thus far which have needed to be returned for service were in the 3,1xx,xxx range, not that all in that range have needed service.

Sthan: Leica's serial #s run consecutively in small batches or runs. There are frequently breaks of several thousand where those numbers are sometimes assigned to completely different products. For example (and this just an example, not actually the case) there could be M8s from 3,100,001 to 3,109,999, followed by MPs from 3,110,000 to 3,116,999, then a batch of M8s from 3,117,000 to 3,119,999 followed by 3,120,000 to 3,319,999 reserved for future models like commemoratives and black-enamel M8s, and then finally a current production batch of M8s beginning with 3,320,000. (Again, that was just an illustration, not meant to represent actual production).

My questions for you:

1. Three months

2. 600

3. Yes

4. Twice

Have since sold it and bought an M7 which I am loving (also own D3)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Steve, Tony: I said that all the M8s I've heard of thus far which have needed to be returned for service were in the 3,1xx,xxx range, not that all in that range have needed service.

Sthan: Leica's serial #s run consecutively in small batches or runs. There are frequently breaks of several thousand where those numbers are sometimes assigned to completely different products. For example (and this just an example, not actually the case) there could be M8s from 3,100,001 to 3,109,999, followed by MPs from 3,110,000 to 3,116,999, then a batch of M8s from 3,117,000 to 3,119,999 followed by 3,120,000 to 3,319,999 reserved for future models like commemoratives and black-enamel M8s, and then finally a current production batch of M8s beginning with 3,320,000. (Again, that was just an illustration, not meant to represent actual production).

It could mean more recent M8 are not old enough to give a reliable comparison.

In six month time, the 330xxx batch could have the same proportion of faulty

cameras…

Thank you for humoring me with your survey responses..

I do not wish, for the world, to spoil the fun - and am sorely tempted to answer my self, but:

finding out reliablity in a poll in which forcibly only a very small number of users respond, and then expecting something absolute? That really offends my logical and statistical mind! :confused:

Come on guys, continue, but do not expect any proof of anything whatsoever! Only raves and grunts. Of which we have enough already.

Guest guy_mancuso

Hmmm 2 bodies about 20k total. SDS twice on same body and occasional battery issues. I think I have a bad battery out of the six just need to figure which one it is for sure. Otherwise pretty darn happy with the results. Poll does mean nothing to be honest some of us just had shitty luck and some perfection. Welcome to the world of electronics and a fact of life.

My questions for you:

One since April - the other since June

3000 - 3000

Yes - both of them. One was replaced by Leica.

Freeze-ups are common with both cameras. Current firmware. Frame selector fell off of camera. Have to turn the camera off, take the battery out and start fresh. (Just like everyone else)

Considering selling both M8 cameras plus several lenses and keeping one M4 and one M6.

Answers:

1) 14 months

2) 4100 frames.

3) Yes. Failure of one 4GB card (showed no images, had to use repair software to save the pics, then switched to 2 GB). Unexpected battery drain with sudden lack of response.

4) About 4-5 times reset of the camera by taking out and changing the battery

I appreciate your intention of making a poll, giving us at least a chance of a rough idea. I would love to see some results of your poll.

Body 1 No.3104xxx (a black chrome beauty)

1) 10 months

2) 5000

3) Venetian blinds, jumpy scrolling etc, never lost a shot or had battery or card malfunction.

4) Re 3 often - seems to have improved after latest FW?

Body 2 No.3111xxx (a silver chrome even more beautiful)

1) 6 months

2) 2000

3) As above

4) As above

Still love em and managing to stay married.

Jeff

I have had my M8 for a little over a year

I have shot a bit over 20,000 frames

only malfunctions have been on reviewing images I get zebra stripes on occasion, more rarely a captured image will not show in the preview and I have had it lock up once for reasons unknown, that was remedied by removing the battery & putting in a fresh one, though there was still a bar remaining on the battery meter

I consider mine very reliable