Firmware 1.110 available on www.leica-camera.de

ArtZ

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perhaps I missed something obvious but where do I find a description of the specific (alleged) improvements and changes in this firmware upgrade?

I downloaded the instructions from Leica US but that's all I got- instructions with no description of changes.

Thanks!

if you scroll down its on end of the page http://www.leicacamera.com/assets/file/download.php?filename=file_3266.pdf

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ed--did you have the safety shift turned on in the old fw? The new one would have reset it...

Just a thought :) Or they fixed something.

Jamie what is Safety Shift???? Never heard of or seen this option in the menu.

For every firmware update I've done on the M8 it has never reset any of my settings currently being used at the time of the update or any of the User Profiles.

Help. Downloaded the update but getting this message when updating - Do you want to update the firmware to version 0.000?

Error message.

What am I doing incorrectly?

Thank for any advice.

UN-ZIP the file then copy it from your hard drive on your computer to the ROOT directory/folder of the SD card, the ROOT is the TOP most file structure (IE NOT into any sub folders/directories).

indeed, but the key word here of course is IF, and I guess you dont know X any better than I do, or do you?

Yup I have no idea what X is. All I know is the M8 is faster then my M3 and much better, for me, then the Nikon D200.

I am really enjoying using a Leica M digital.

Jamie what is Safety Shift???? Never heard of or seen this option in the menu.

For every firmware update I've done on the M8 it has never reset any of my settings currently being used at the time of the update or any of the User Profiles.

I think it's called Auto Slow Synch? Aww I'm hallucinating anyway... this would keep the shutter faster with underexposure. Never mind ;)

I think it's called Auto Slow Synch? Aww I'm hallucinating anyway... this would keep the shutter faster with underexposure. Never mind ;)

I thought Auto Slow Sync was for the flash? In any event now I get the standard flashing 32" when the lens cap of any lense is left on. Maybe I was hallucinating this morning, I hadn't had my coffee yet.

For the record, here's what Leica says the changes are:

- 6 Bit lens codes for Summarit-M lenses 35, 50, 75 and 90 mm

- Time shortened between pre-flash and main flash in M-TTL mode with flashes LEICA SF24 D and SCA compatible flashguns

- Function of the central setting wheel on the camera back improved (unintentional scrolling of the menu now prevented)

- Battery capacity display improved

- Change in the French menu: «Marche +UV/IR» instead «Marche avec»

So, notta about high-ISO noise or AWB.

About the battery capacity display improved, I noticed, after upgrading to firm. 1.110, that my 2 third part ( non Leica ) batteries now exhibit a full bar indicating full charge. Before upgrading, they remained at 3/4 even after recharge. In fact, I couldn't perform any sensor cleaning with those batteries, the camera wouldn't let me, thinking they weren't fully charged. Now that seems fixed.

About the M8 VS 5D test was not about noise. And when noise suppression was used both where almost similar at 1250iso. Different lighting setups and my cousin picked an f4 file from his setup, and I let him choose his lens best aperture, and we compared our shots.

The M8 won. Both files: ISO 160 / F4 / 1/25sec

Printed as A4 on an EPSON Stylus Pro 3800 printer.

About the battery capacity display improved, I noticed, after upgrading to firm. 1.110, that my 2 third part ( non Leica ) batteries now exhibit a full bar indicating full charge. Before upgrading, they remained at 3/4 even after recharge. In fact, I couldn't perform any sensor cleaning with those batteries, the camera wouldn't let me, thinking they weren't fully charged. Now that seems fixed.

That's good to hear. I have 2 aftermarket batteries that always needed to be full drained before recharging for the M8 would show them as 3 bars full. Otherwise they would show as only 1 bar.

Just tried one of my third party batteries: Removed from camera with one bar showing - recharged fully - put back in camera.

Still shows one bar.

In my experience it will go down to zero bars and then after a while suddenly go up to three bars.

In general the level indicated may well be more accurate now but the communication with third party batteries still seems imperfect.

(And not likely to change, I guess)

Just tried one of my third party batteries: Removed from camera with one bar showing - recharged fully - put back in camera.

Still shows one bar.

In my experience it will go down to zero bars and then after a while suddenly go up to three bars.

In general the level indicated may well be more accurate now but the communication with third party batteries still seems imperfect.

(And not likely to change, I guess)

Well I'll do a similar test when the battery runs down to 1 bar. I just installed it yesterday after a drain and recharge. But suspect you are correct.

Finding the scrolling menu had disappeared,other than that not much else. The exif info shows they have left the colour matrix values alone also. Was this the touted major firmware update or is it just an interim fix?.

When I visited the Berlin Leica store in September they told me that an M8 interim update was due in November followed by a major one, I think in January they said. We can only hope the next one offers more than this one apparently does.

On Leica's FAQ sheet, the following is posted:

"When using wide-angle lenses from 16 to 35mm with the LEICA UV/IR filter, a focal length specific correction of the color cast towards the edge of the image is required. With 6-bit coded lenses, this is done automatically in the camera as the lens type is transferred to the LEICA M8 as part of the coding. However, in the case of the LEICA TRI-ELMAR-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH., the lens type transferred does not always correspond to the focal length actually set on the lens. Additional information is therefore required. When the LEICA M8 is being operated with the Firmware version 1.10 (or higher), the focal length specific correction is possible for this lens too. To do this, the Firmware version includes an extended menu:

1. Under the menu item „Lens detection“, select the sub-point “On + UV/IR” by pressing the SET button. A new monitor screen appears with the title „Lens detection Tri-Elmar + UV/IR”.

Note:

Provided “On + UV/IR” has previously been set, this monitor screen appears automatically as soon as the camera is turned on and/or the LEICA TRI-ELMAR 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH is attached, regardless of whether or not the monitor was previously active.

2. In the box with a red border, the three focal lengths 16, 18, and 21mm can be selected using the direction buttons and/or the central adjusting dial and confirmed as normal with the SET button."

I don't get a sub-menu when I go to Lens Detection and click "on+UV/IR". I guess maybe it's becuase I don't have a "tri-Elmar" lens...would that be the only time that sub-menu appears? I only ask becuase if I should get it anyway, maybe the 1.10 version did not install properly on my camera?

Your quote pretty plainly states the Tri-Elmar needs to be in place.

Gene

I let him choose his lens best aperture, and we compared our shots. The M8 won. (...)

Printed as A4 on an EPSON Stylus Pro 3800 printer.

What do you mean "M8 won"? How did you judge? A4 is also a bit small, even the native file size of the M8 is larger or just as large as A4, so it was hardly about resolution, so what did you look for?

Bernie