Firmware 1.110 available on www.leica-camera.de

ArtZ

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...and the threats of lawsuits, letters to Leica, and so on. Lordy lord.

I just shot three photos before and after with ISO 640, 1250 and 2500, and I could see no difference at all, looking very carefully at up to 200%. Too bad, but perhaps the M8 owner who saw a large difference could discuss in which situations this was the case? I shot a dark corner of my living room in the morning of a very grey day.

I just shot three photos before and after with ISO 640, 1250 and 2500, and I could see no difference at all, looking very carefully at up to 200%. Too bad, but perhaps the M8 owner who saw a large difference could discuss in which situations this was the case? I shot a dark corner of my living room in the morning of a very grey day.

Did a similar test my self this morning and didn't notice any improvement, Oh well.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just loaded and took a few snaps. Is it me or does the shutter sound more crisp now? I remember one of the earlier updates made the shutter sound longer, but now maybe it's back to the way it was before? Anyway if that's the case it's an improvement.

after installation would i be needing the 2mm hex again:eek:

Fahim, that's funny!

Fortunately I don't think any change in firmware is going to affect the mechanical rangefinder alignment. I think you're safe for the time being. :D

A Leica representative mentioned this noise improvement to him?

It is difficult to make internal software reductions of noise for RAW files when the hardware can't be modified. Some kind of electronic noise reduction (made in the sensor, or outside of it) is the way many manufacturers follow. The noise for ISO 640 and above is one of my main concerns for the M8. We increase the sensitivity when the light is scarce, but ISO 640 in low light conditions is too noisy for my taste (chroma noise, luminance noise, loss of detail, deterioration of color, loss of dynamic range, loss of tonal variation, etc.). Noise handling is one of the areas in which Leica must improve for future cameras (R10, M8-2, etc.).

Automatic white balance is another problem, but I don't care too much because I shot DNG all the time. Two sensors (one internal and another one external) is the best solution. I suppose Leica will try to develop a hybrid external color and light intensity sensor just where the second sensor is now. It is very difficult to get accurate AWB measures with only an internal sensor.

The noise of the electric engine that cocks the shutter is the third big problem. I find the M8 too noisy. People react to this noise. I would like a design similar to that of the R-D1, with a wind lever. It would be possible to include it just as an option for future models?

To sum-up, I don't think substantial improvement in those key areas are possible by means of firmware changes. The next M digital camera will be better, but the actual M8 is just as it is (very similar to the DMR, but two years later).

Kent, what a relief to hear you say that! Guess I can celebrate the release then?

( shhhhh...what does it do? )

Fahim, that's funny!

Fortunately I don't think any change in firmware is going to affect the mechanical rangefinder alignment. I think you're safe for the time being. :D

Automatic white balance is another problem, but I don't care too much because I shot DNG all the time. Two sensors (one internal and another one external) is the best solution. I suppose Leica will try to develop a hybrid external color and light intensity sensor just where the second sensor is now. It is very difficult to get accurate AWB measures with only an internal sensor.

you might think so, but nikon no longer appear to as the D3 doesnt have the extra sensor of the D2 series.

The problem with the M8 AWB isnt just its absolute accuracy, its the lack of accuracy compared to any number of other digital cameras which do better. The answer as you rightly say is to shoot raw.

you have misread the instructions. the upgrade should be downloaded to the lenses

for autofocus to work correctly. if it doesn't you need to send the lenses to solms...

what a pain:mad:

Nothing changed to me,

still AutoFocus is not working!

I guess I have to send my M8 to Solms.....:D

maurizio