Holly in 35mm (series)

sometimesmaybe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

some images from my shoot with Holly this week - M246 + CV 35mm f1.2 III

i've had my lecia for around 7/8 months now. i've noticed since using my M246 that my preferences have gradually moved away from using 85/90mm. i think 35mm is my fav focal length for portraits at the moment 🤓

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, sometimesmaybe said:

i've noticed since using my M246 that my preferences have gradually moved away from using 85/90mm. i think 35mm is my fav focal length for portraits at the moment 🤓

A fact that many, many Leica users notice sooner or later - not much joy beyond 50mm.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Al Brown said:

not much joy beyond 50mm

for my type of shooting, 75mm offers a good balance between ease of use and perspective/compression. for a typical portrait session, i'd shoot 2/3 in 35mm and about 1/3 in 75mm

i currently use the 7A 75mm f1.25, but i've just side-graded to the new CV 75mm f1.9, for a more compact set put. in a pinch, the CV 35mm f1.2 III can pull double duty with headshots due to its 0.5m MFD, but it doesn't have the same look as a 75mm 

On 4/1/2023 at 3:35 AM, Al Brown said:

A fact that many, many Leica users notice sooner or later - not much joy beyond 50mm.

I wonder is this because the small camera encourages ones to be more intimate, or the range finder a better perspective or just because it’s hard to focus longer lenses. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sometimesmaybe said:

but it doesn't have the same look as a 75mm 

If you cropped the 35mm image from the centre to the proportions of what the 75mm gives you it would have the same look, perspective wise (lens characteristics aside). But since you are happy with using 75mm, no need for that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nimar said:

I wonder is this because the small camera encourages ones to be more intimate, or the range finder a better perspective or just because it’s hard to focus longer lenses. 

i reckon it's a combo of the above, but every M shooter is likely to differ on the weight they place on each factor

for me, i personally get bored with just shooting short tele portraits esp those that obliterate the background. sometimes context and the environment matter. but thats a subjective thing to me 🤓