Q2 Workflow In Field

SAH

Advertisement (gone after registration)

am very close to acquiring a Q2 but I am trying to think through scenario where I will be in field, shooting RAW, and need to send a jpg somewhere.  There is no in-camera conversation, and there are no ports on the q2.  SO how do people workflow this?  Use WiFi to an iPad/iPhone/Macbook, etc., convert there and then send out?  Bring a portable card reader and bring into device that way? And does  the Leica iOs app have capability to work with RAW files?  Any thoughts appreciated......

I use https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-Card-Camera-Reader/dp/B0198HIF7K/ref=sr_1_15?crid=3F8TGX8LHGAN1&keywords=apple+camera+connection+kit&qid=1680283664&sprefix=apple+camera%2Caps%2C117&sr=8-15 to take the SD card contents and load it onto my iPhone/iPad .  Both work with RAW/DNG files.

When I go on vacation- I leave the laptop at home just take this and the iPhone.  Every night I dump the contents of the SD Card to my iPhone (where it gets uploaded to iCloud & is waiting for me to process when I get home).

I find that the wifi transfer is too slow (ymmv)

Edited by prk60091

As others say, you can get a JPG in-camera, but you cannot get a raw image, edit it and convert it to JPG. My two options for disseminating images on the go are the FOTOS app on my phone (slow but OK for one or two images) or transfer the SD card to my MacBook Pro that has a SD card port. I occasionally use the FOTOS option if I want to post an image to social media quickly.

You can edit a raw file on a phone in Lightroom CC Mobile and convert it to JPG, but good luck with that on a phone screen. Even if I edit in Lightroom on my MacBook Pro screen I still see more things I want to edit once I get it home and see it on a 27" monitor.

1 minute ago, prk60091 said:

When I go on vacation- I leave the laptop at home just take this and the iPhone.  Every night I dump the contents of the SD Card to my iPhone (where it gets uploaded to iCloud & is waiting for me to process when I get home).

I hope you have a good data contract on your phone! And in my experience of hotel wifi, I would not be able to upload all my photos taken during the day.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you don't use Capture One or Capture One for iPad but Lightroom (LR), you can also import the DNG files via the iPhone into LR - what also works is the separate import of the data (e.g. DNG to LR and JPG to Apple Photos). Only the joint import to Apple Photos is less recommended, because the JPG and DNG data are saved as a stack.

49 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

As others say, you can get a JPG in-camera, but you cannot get a raw image, edit it and convert it to JPG. My two options for disseminating images on the go are the FOTOS app on my phone (slow but OK for one or two images) or transfer the SD card to my MacBook Pro that has a SD card port. I occasionally use the FOTOS option if I want to post an image to social media quickly.

You can edit a raw file on a phone in Lightroom CC Mobile and convert it to JPG, but good luck with that on a phone screen. Even if I edit in Lightroom on my MacBook Pro screen I still see more things I want to edit once I get it home and see it on a 27" monitor.

Actually Snapseed on a newer iPhone is quite  useful for simple and non-critical edits. Quite OK for use on social media. Otherwise use an iPad. My iPhone has 512 GB internal memory, quite enough to hold any number of raws, I use it as a backup to my SD cards through a reader (and I have an unlimited data contract ;) ).  LR Mobile with Cloud transfer to LR Classic works quite well..

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I hope you have a good data contract on your phone! And in my experience of hotel wifi, I would not be able to upload all my photos taken during the day.

I have a vastly overpriced US cell phone plan-but I get unlimited data in the US and I do not remember what is included for 'foreign' data (we haven't travelled internationally in 3 years- fingers crossed off to France soonish)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc B-C said:

The Q2 does allow shots to be taken in both DNG and/or JPG. I do not know about wifi or the app, as I use a card reader to download my Q2 DNG files into either my iPad or MacBook Pro. I can then process on either of these. I also do not use JPG.

OK - so just to be super clear (I am not too bright) you can shoot with capture being RAW+JPG at same time?  (My other cameras do this - i want to be sure Q2 doe it too)  That woulds solve the problem of getting jpgs to the device easily: I feel dumb for asking it now.

S

Just now, SAH said:

OK - so just to be super clear (I am not too bright) you can shoot with capture being RAW+JPG at same time?  (My other cameras do this - i want to be sure Q2 doe it too)  That woulds solve the problem of getting jpgs to the device easily: I feel dumb for asking it now.

S

Correct

57 minutes ago, SAH said:

S

Not only does it shoot DNG+JPG, it does so in  various sizes. it also allows controlling the contrast and sharpness, and it will provide various film looks, including B&W. 

You mentioned Macbook so the easiest way is to pull your SD card, stick in the Macbook and edit there.  Otherwise, Fotos to your iPad from your camera (mine works in seconds) and edit there. My last choice would be to use an iPhone.  In over 30 years of professional photography, I've never had a need to turn a photo over in the field. Think of it like the film days, you shoot the photos, take the film out, have it developed, scan or send pictures.  In this case just no film.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DenverSteve said:

You mentioned Macbook so the easiest way is to pull your SD card, stick in the Macbook and edit there.  Otherwise, Fotos to your iPad from your camera (mine works in seconds) and edit there. My last choice would be to use an iPhone.  In over 30 years of professional photography, I've never had a need to turn a photo over in the field. Think of it like the film days, you shoot the photos, take the film out, have it developed, scan or send pictures.  In this case just no film.  

Thanks  - yeah, the original question was how to get jpgs in the field because there are times when using an iPhone doesn't work to snap something for somebody remotely. With my Nikon snd Fuji cameras, I can convert the RAW in camera, transfer to iPhone and send that way.  I don't edit anything in the field.  I just need to get a non-iPhone jpg sent for quick review, then edit the RAWs back at studio. The fact that Q2 doesn't allow in camera conversion was nagging at me, but it was stupid of me since I should have just asked if the Q2 allows DNG+JPG capture. A simpler and more direct question!  S.

With apologies to the OP for using their thread, but I hope this question is close enough to the same subject, and it will save me doing the legwork to find the answer (😉). 

My typical process with a phone (iphone in my case) is to download from the camera to the phone with FOTOS, then use Lightroom CC Mobile to transfer to the Adobe Cloud, from where I can download it at home to my desktop and LR Classic. The process of getting Lightroom Mobile to find the images and then transfer them to the cloud is clunky on a phone.

Can this be automated? So that any time I download an image by FOTOS, Lightroom automatically adds it to the cloud?

Edited by LocalHero1953