M10-P or M10-R

dylan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I need some user input on the differences between the M10-P and M10-R in terms of color rendition, low light performance. I am looking to buy one of these and would like to hear from actual users as to the pros and cons of each one.  I have used an M10 and was happy with it except it sometimes seemed to have a slight yellow cast to some of the images.

I think M10P would not be different from the M10 for image quality, just have a touch screen and quieter shutter. The M10R would have higher resolution than both M10 and M10P.

If you have the M10 and want to upgrade, you may skip both of these and go for M11, in my opinion.

This is a M10-P vs M10-R video, in Chinese. It compares the image qualities of both models with several lenses, which you can see in the video without worries of not understanding Chinese. TLDR: If you don't use the latest APO-ASPH lens lines from Leica, the 40MP on M10-R could not deliver a better IQ than the 24MP on M10-P. If you want to use old lenses because your favour to their characters, handling, etc., the M10-R might not be friendly to them.

For color rendition, the M10P image is more Leica look. For low light performance, M10P is a lot better. From my experience, shooting at ISO 6400, the M10P images are usable. For M10R, some images shoot at ISO 400 and 800 are very noisy. When shooting at ISO 100, the images of M10R are more details as it has more megapixel.

If you have the M10 and want better image quality then you get M10-R. The yellow cast thing is...preference, easily rectified in post. Low light, R by a little bit if only because when you downsample 40 mp to 24 you'll do a little better with the R - resolution by a little bit more, and exposure latitude by a little bit more also. The files are also a little bit more malleable for post work. 

The M10-P is an M10 with like...a quieter shutter.

I'd disagree with the commenter that says to get an M11. I'd rather own the M10-R than the M11 for the same price. But I just don't like to hold the M11 - it is a great camera but for me the M10R/M leave nothing to be desired and the M10 leaves precious little be desired anyways - just the sensor isn't quite quite where I'd like it but after 6 years with it the practical issues arise in less than 5% of pictures. 

I don't have an M10-R fwiw (have used it) but an M10-M, and an M10. I also disagree that you need APO lenses to realize benefits from the 40 mp sensor.

• Like 1

It depends on several things I think.

Do you want the freedom to crop heavily and still maintain resolution? 

That is important to me; I moved back from systems with much longer lenses in them and have to accept that I won't be bolting a 250mm tele onto a Leica M.

However, neither do I want to miss compositions or subjects that would benefit from reach. With 40MP I have more freedom to crop than I would with 24.

The M11 with 60MP could do it even more, of course, but I still think the M10(R) is a more finished product right now.

• Like 1

Was wondering about this too. Went with the M10p for now and let's see how it goes. The beauty of Leica for me is they're easy (ier) to sell/flip when I get the urge to try other models. I think you can't go wrong either way but if you're in a country which let's you rent cameras then maybe just try both before deciding. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been considering this too. I have the option of a mint condition used M10-P for what I think is a fair price.  I have an M9 and have been thinking of trading up to Live view as focus is a little harder these days.  I might hang on to the M9 for nostalgia (has new sensor but probably wont get much for it)

However, I am seeing very difference between M240 and M10 images in practice (M10 nice interface of course) that justify a c. £2k difference in price.  So I wonder am I better off waiting for used M10-R or even M11, I get the sense the extra megapixels does make a difference?  Maybe keep the M9 going for longer or get an interim M240?

Any real world experience or advice always helpful.