Suggestions for 35 and 50mm lenses

SNJ Ops

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all

I have a used M10 coming next week (my 1st Leica and 1st rangefinder) and I bought it specifically for street photography. I have another kit for everything else I shoot. 

In particular I’m wondering which lenses would you suggest at 35mm, 40mm and 50mm for;

street photography use

max aperture of f2

budget up to £1000

new or used

Preferably has a focus tab

For any replies, thanks in advance 🙏

Is your budget for each lens or both?

If new to the system I strongly recommend one lens at a time, work it, learn it, love it…. And rinse repeat with #2 and beyond. This doesn’t mean don’t have an overall strategy but allows confirmation along the journey. 

for me my order was 35….. 75……21….. then just added a 50. It’s a journey and enjoy it 

1 hour ago, SNJ Ops said:

Hello all

I have a used M10 coming next week (my 1st Leica and 1st rangefinder) and I bought it specifically for street photography. I have another kit for everything else I shoot. 

In particular I’m wondering which lenses would you suggest at 35mm, 40mm and 50mm for;

street photography use

max aperture of f2

budget up to £1000

new or used

Preferably has a focus tab

For any replies, thanks in advance 🙏

+1 for Voigtländer, the latest versions of which tend to have focus tabs. I have the 35mm Norton f1.5 which has a focus tab and is about £800 new for the lighter, aluminium version and about £850 for the heavier brass version. I think their 35mm f2 Ultron also has a tab and is about £630. None of their 50mm lenses have tabs but the 50mm Nokton f1.5 is about £850. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, spydrxx said:

35, 40 and 50 sounds too close to really differentiate. I suggest you select only one focal length and master it, see if you really connect with rangefinder photography before funding additional lenses.

+1

For street photography, I would look at 35mm.

Edited by jankap

Advertisement (gone after registration)

57 minutes ago, rsolomon said:

Is your budget for each lens or both?

If new to the system I strongly recommend one lens at a time, work it, learn it, love it…. And rinse repeat with #2 and beyond. This doesn’t mean don’t have an overall strategy but allows confirmation along the journey. 

for me my order was 35….. 75……21….. then just added a 50. It’s a journey and enjoy it 

To begin with I’ll select one option from those focal lengths and get familiar with the system. When I have shot street/travel previously on my existing camera I tend to shoot between 35mm and 50mm.

I don’t like 28mm so 35mm is the widest I’ll be shooting.

I would say "it depends on your style" for street photography : are you comfortable to be close to your subject ? then a 35 is great... if you're a bit shy (like me), then a 50mm might be a better choice. Also : the viewfinder experience is completely different  for me (with my glasses and bad eyes) with the 35 and 50. The 50 is more "comfortable" as I don't have to move my eye to see the frame lines (that's the case for the35... no need to mention that I barely see the 28 lines 🙂 ).

Before "investing" in an expensive new Leica lens, I used my standard zoom lens on my Nikon DSLR, set at 35 (with some tape to block the zoom ring) and only used this a whole day long. Then the same with 50. Then I compared the photos.... In the end I bought two fixed lenses (35 and 50) 🙂 

Edited by chris7273
  • Like 1

35mm has the more-forgiving Depth Of Field for using the distance and DOF scales for zone/scale focusing. The 50mm lens’ narrower DOF makes it more necessary to use the rangefinder to focus, more of the time. The OP’s stated budget* brings Voigtlander to mind. I was impressed with the handling qualities of a Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II MC, that I examined when I met a member of the DPR forum, at a coffee shop in a nearby city. He had been using it, with an M-to-SL adapter, on a Leica CL digital body. He mounted his lens on my M10 camera, to make sure that his eyes could use a rangefinder, before he purchased an M10-R. (He had prior experience with Leica 35mm film cameras, but had not used a rangefinder in a number of years.)

The Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II VM is a “character” lens, rather than a “modern” lens, being much like the Leica Summilux M versions that were made before the ASPH version was released. There is a quite nice focusing tab. Those who prefer modern coatings will probably prefer the MC version; Multi-Coated. Those who want to incite flare, for creative reason, may opt for the SC; Single-Coated. I have been following on-line images, captured with both versions. Ultimately, I could make the case for either one being the better choice. Cosina/Voigtlander has given us shooters freedom of choice.

Yes, the max aperture of this lens is f/1.4, rather than f/2, but, the Voigtlander Ultron, which is f/2, has been reported to have a less-smooth operation of its moving parts. I place a high value on handling qualities. Notably, however, I have not yet had an opportunity to handle an Ultron, either the original version, or the II.

Voigtlander makes a Nokton 35mm f/1.5 VM, with a more “modern” optical rendering, rather than “character.” It has a focusing tab. This is a relatively new release. I have been impressed by images I have found on-line, but am more likely to go with the “character” of the f/1.4 option, if I buy. (I already have the Zeiss Distagon 35mm f.1.4 ZM, for times when a modern rendering is the goal.)

The Ultron is the smallest of these three, but none are large lenses.

Notably, Cosina makes many Zeiss-branded lenses, including all but one of the ZM line of lenses. Cosina licensed the use of the Voigtlander name, to use as a brand for its own lens designs. Cosina knows how to make excellent lenses.

*There is nothing wrong with having a “Voigtlander budget.” I bought a new M10, in 2018, at the onset of a finite period of prosperity that I knew would end in 2022. The few Leica lenses I acquired were pre-owned. The three M-mount lenses I have acquired new, have been one Zeiss ZM, and two Voigtlander ZM.

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd suggest the LLL 50f2 elcan. Compact for street so not obtrusive; relatively inexpensive to Leica offerings and so doesn't need to be babied but it's well built; has character; has a focus tab for fast focus so what more for street sweeper lens?? The LLL 35f2 are equally good for the same reasons.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb dsleica:

"specifically for street photography" and very cheap i can recommend Voigtländer color skopar pancake II 35/2.5 VM lens. I know, it's only 2.5 😉 

Considering the budget, this also came to my mind. I never owned or used it, but according to reviews it’s worth considering. See here for instance : https://mrleica.com/voigtlander-color-skopar-35mm/  Sells for about 420 Euros (the models are not included).

Almost bought one because I‘m obsessed with its small size.

The remaining budget I would use for a used Zeiss Sonnar 50.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2023 at 9:08 AM, SNJ Ops said:

To begin with I’ll select one option from those focal lengths and get familiar with the system. When I have shot street/travel previously on my existing camera I tend to shoot between 35mm and 50mm.

I don’t like 28mm so 35mm is the widest I’ll be shooting.

Well you answered , 35. BTW both are correct and neither is wrong. 

My M10 came today; camera is heavier than what I was expecting but more than manageable. As to how premium the camera feels in the hand its even better that what I was expecting. Very much looking forward to learning how to use the rangefinder mechanism.

Still not decided on a lens but I have narrowed it down to a few possible options as a 1st lens;

Voigtländer 40mm f2.8 Heliar

Voigtländer 50mm f1.5 Nokton Vintage

Zeiss 50mm f2 Planar

Anyone have experience/own any those 3?

With no RF experience, and no 40mm frame lines, this will present a bit more of a learning curve.  Still manageable, but not ideal IMO.  Are you not able to rent or demo a 35 and/or 50mm?  In the US, CamerQuest offers a 30 day, no questions asked, return policy on new CV lenses.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I have the Zeiss 50 f2 Planar and the Voigtlander 50/1.5 Nokton Vintage lenses. So far the Planar shines in the contrast and resolution category, plus it is relatively small. The Nokton, OTOH is and definitely feels much larger, and its drawing, to me, is reminiscent of the old collapsible Summicron. I can't say I've exhaustively used both at this juncture, but I have used both on film and a Sony A7rii or initial comparative purposes. As a street shooter, you would probably feel more comfortable with the Planar.

• Thanks 1

I have the Zeiss Planar and Nokton Vintage 1.5 II - crucially the second version, which I understand to be quite a different lens, certainly it looks very different and would be very different handling. The other thing to look for with the Voigtlander is the two versions of coatings SC (single coating, much more prone to flare and lower contrast, more vintage) and MC (multi coated, better fare resistance, more modern look). 

As a first lens I’d go with one that has frame lines, and for that reason I wouldn’t go with a 40mm. Certainly once you’re used to the rangefinder experience then why not, but initially I’d go 50mm (or 35). 

The Zeiss Planar is a bit of a no brainer. It’s a really good performer, sharp, really easy to use, handles great, in the Leica-verse not too expensive. It really strikes me as an ideal first lens. I’d say pretty much the same of the Voigtlander 50mm Nokton II, but not the original version. The Nokt II does have quite a heavy vignette and I think leans towards a gentler rendering than the Planar. The Nokt II does open up 2/3 of a stop more, and particularly at close range at f/1.5 can get quite a glow on the image, reduced by stopping down. 

If it’s a choice between Planar and Nokton II MC, either would be great. I’d pass on the original Nokton though. 

Enjoy your new camera, hope you can get some glass on it soon!

• Thanks 1