Retractable lens on M10

Mike Hawley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can almost hear the groan as somebody reads this topic yet again. There seems to be no definite answer from previous mailings and Leica advice is inconclusive but—— it seems to me that given the focal length remains the same and the camera shutter distance from the lens flange remains the same between M10 and 111f then why is there a problem retracting a collapsible lens intended for a 111f on an M10. Has anybody ever had an issue with retraction ?

It is not always the depth of the lens that is the issue. Some digital camera's have stuff on the side of the frame that might be in danger of getting touched.

Most retractables can be retracted without issues. I use them on my M8/M9 without issues. Make sure you always mount/unmount them in extended position then you should have no issues on any digital. One exception is the 90mm retractable classic lens (not the Macro 90, that is fine). The 90 classic can not be retracted. Use some tape on the barrel to make sure it is not retracted by accident and you are fine.

Edited by dpitt

And make sure you push it straight into the camera. Margins are small and the barrel of many old retractable lenses can be tilted quite a bit when not locked in the extended position. If being pushed in while tilted it will almost certainly hit something, e.g. the cam follower roller or the baffle in front of the shutter.

I once thought to buy an elmar. 50mm, newest version. At a Paris Leica Shop said they had the instruction not to sell it for use on a digital body - like my M240. I asked for the lens nevertheless and mouted it on my body (I thought them crazy), and lo and behold , yes it could be mounted, focussed good. Also dismounting folded in was possible.

They looked at the lens, if there were no big scratches. (No). 

The problem seems to be that the barrel can be twisted a bit from the center, and then hit the cam, if you use the wrong force,  I heard later from an owner of the lens. Stupid constrauction then. For such a good lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!