Test certificate with new lens’s ?

Shawn30

Good point, I guess we just assume now they have been tested, in the case of the 100-400 maybe because it was made in Japan. Although I don't recall getting one with my 35mm APO Summicron-L either.

This might open up a new point though, although spending $5k on that lens I would have expected the normal "solid" case rather than a pouch. Maybe all companies are looking to reduce cost by doing stuff like this. When I travel, I stay in IHG hotels and found the in-room amenities have reduced significantly, not that that is a bad thing however, I support large shampoo/bodywash/conditioner attached to the wall of the showers rather than those small pesky plastic bottles that I can never open!

1 hour ago, Shawn30 said:

I always keep the box and documents for resale down the road. The M and Q still get the cool gift box and the M lens’s get the leather pouch. The SL gets box’s and polyester pouch😂

I don’t own an M11, but from online videos, the fancy inner box has apparently been “dumbed down” from prior M packaging, similar to the SL2 foam cut-outs. 

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don’t want Leica M lenses to arrive in coffins. Just put it in a smaller box. Pain in the ass to store. I trashed the boxes for my 21mm Summilux, M10M and SL2. Too damn huge. Separate little drawers for cables and strap. What is this? Barbie’s Playhouse?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, rtai said:

I don’t want Leica M lenses to arrive in coffins. Just put it in a smaller box. Pain in the ass to store. I trashed the boxes for my 21mm Summilux, M10M and SL2. Too damn huge. Separate little drawers for cables and strap. What is this? Barbie’s Playhouse?

Agreed, it just becomes a massive PITA which people then ‘have’ to keep even if they don’t want to because it becomes a thing if you sell it.

If Leica just packaged their stuff in a much simpler, more basic, dare I say it less wasteful manner it would have zero effect on the value of the camera or lens, as all that matters to some on the used market is if the item comes w all the original packaging.  
At least w the new M6 they went back to the original and small hard plastic shell case, instead of the stooopid massive boxes w little compartments.  Great - do that w more gear.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Huss said:

Agreed, it just becomes a massive PITA which people then ‘have’ to keep even if they don’t want to because it becomes a thing if you sell it.

If Leica just packaged their stuff in a much simpler, more basic, dare I say it less wasteful manner it would have zero effect on the value of the camera or lens, as all that matters to some on the used market is if the item comes w all the original packaging.  
At least w the new M6 they went back to the original and small hard plastic shell case, instead of the stooopid massive boxes w little compartments.  Great - do that w more gear.

Don’t the new M6 bodies come in normal sized boxes like they did before? People already know these are excellent cameras and lenses and don’t need the luxury treatment.

4 hours ago, rtai said:

Don’t the new M6 bodies come in normal sized boxes like they did before? People already know these are excellent cameras and lenses and don’t need the luxury treatment.

Yep, just a small hard shell plastic box.  Perfect.

Am 25.3.2023 um 01:35 schrieb Shawn30:

It’s been a while since I purchased a lens. Does Leica still put the test certificate in the box? I went to register my new 100-400 and realized there wasn’t a certificate.

my 24-70 (and others) came without certificate too; so I think all SL-lenses "made in Japan" are without

• Thanks 1

I just got the new Lumix-Cron 50 ASPH (Made in Portugal), and it Came with Test Certificate!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1