How do you shoot portrait orientation? Hand on top or bottom?

kinetic

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How does everyone shoot in portrait orientation? If I shoot with right hand on top, when I start focusing with my left, I'm blocking the viewfinder and can only see the patch. So I really have to move my left hand down to get the focus ring (I use the summilux 50mm black chrome, so there's no tab so I just grab the focus ring wherever it is). And then shooting the other way with my right hand on the bottom just feels weird.

I've never really had this issue before as I've always used autofocus cameras (this is my first manual and rangefinder).

3 minutes ago, DenverSteve said:

Both. Supported with the body/face and a solidly held lower hand and the upper hand gripping the body and index-finger on the shutter release.  Similar to this photo.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This fully blocks the viewfinder on a rangefinder camera like the M11. The image you're showing is a DSLR, so you're looking through the lens. I find it awkward to manual focus since your hand is really blocking the viewfinder.

Depends if I'm 'wearing a hat with a broad brim', but my camera is a bit older than the M11.

• Like 2

If I'm not using the visoflex, I'll focus in horizontal as it's easier for me to see the separation with the focusing patch, then I'll rotate the camera with my right hand to the top and reframe to take the shot.  Other conditions like moving subjects may require a more creative approach but this seems to work most often for me.

With an M it is almost always right-hand over; left hand under.

There is some sense(*) in utilising the opposite method when using slower shutter-speeds as the face can act as a brace against which the camera can be stabilised but, as you say, in this fashion (*again) focus would have to be carried-out first then the camera-position reversed for the actual image-capture.

Philip.

* For the way I hold a camera and the way I shoot. Other members, of course, may well employ a very different technique.

Edited by pippy

• Like 3

I wanted to avoid responding for fear of raising more accusations of persecution but tried to replicate the problem and I don’t understand how to do this wrong. 

I typically shoot horizontally with my right eye, and vertically with my left with the ranger finder window at the top. I tried every permutation but couldn’t see how you would block the viewfinder. 

Is it a problem of being left handed?

this is the image from the M6 original manual

but some photographers will tell you to keep both arms down for better stability.

I found it easier to see to focus patch when holding it like in the photo.

Generally speaking I find it more comfortable with right hand on top (I am extremely right-handed and -eyed) and don't get problems with viewfinder blockage. But this can be awkward in crowds because it is difficult to avoid having the right elbow sticking out so I turn it to left hand up. Right hand up is also awkward with a hat with a brim as @Anbaric points out.

Best bet is just to play with it and practice until you find out what is comfortable for you.

John

• Like 1

Yup. As above. I'll generally focus horizontally then rotate to vertical.

The camera body rides in my left hand while being moved to vertical by my right hand. 

My hat's a wide-brimmed Tilley I've been wearing for more than twenty years. It was a gift. Never thought it would turn into such a long-term companion. Kind of goes with the older bodies and lenses (some of which go back to the 50's), but practical with the digital gear as well.

Edited by DadDadDaddyo