Lens Communication Error - Sigma 100-400 on SL2

kobra

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Brad, maybe this is obvious, maybe not, but for the sake of thoroughness - here's a link to the Sigma website showing the compatibility of the Sigma TC-1411 teleconverter.  The "Note" below the table indicates that the TC must be attached to the lens prior to attaching them to the camera, otherwise it may "cause a malfunction"...  Just FYI.  Here's link:  https://www.sigma-global.com/en/wp/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/29162655/SIGMA-TELE-CONVERTER-TC-1411_TC-2011_EN_230120.pdf

11 minutes ago, tpenate2 said:

Brad, maybe this is obvious, maybe not, but for the sake of thoroughness - here's a link to the Sigma website showing the compatibility of the Sigma TC-1411 teleconverter.  The "Note" below the table indicates that the TC must be attached to the lens prior to attaching them to the camera, otherwise it may "cause a malfunction"...  Just FYI.  Here's link:  https://www.sigma-global.com/en/wp/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/29162655/SIGMA-TELE-CONVERTER-TC-1411_TC-2011_EN_230120.pdf

Thanks for the link; this has been my habit in the past with other brands, so it is also how I did it here. But it is good to have that reference! 

Brad

That sequence make sense and as said it's camera off first anyway. As an aside, for using the S Adapter L for example, Leica says mount the adapter to the body first, then the lens to the adapter. 
I suspect that the sequence is due to the tight tolerances and firm fit of the bayonet mounts. There is room to reach the lock controls with that one anyway. As I recall M mount adapters have less room to access those controls.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: my lens is back and it is working good now. 

Here's the summary and my observations... when I had an issue with a Leica lens, they were much better at the communication, but much slower on the repair (4 weeks). Sigma initially had confusing email communication and took a long time to respond to questions. However, once I spoke to a manager at the repair center, they were able to recommend ways to expedite the repair. From the time the lens arrived in the repair center to having the repair completed was only 2 days, and I received the lens back to me exactly 10 days after I sent it. (3 days each way for shipping and a weekend in the middle). 

As to what the issue was - they replaced a circuit board; obviously it was a quick diagnosis and they had the parts in stock. As to why that part was damaged, I still suspect that it was a bad TC that I mounted on the lens that damaged the electronics in the lens. The Sigma repair center said they could not say what the cause of the issue was. 

I initially gave them poor marks due to confusing communications, such as:

-whether the repair would be covered under warranty or not

-whether the item could even be repaired and if not that they would offer to sell me a refurbished unit at a discount

-how I needed to upload payment information before they would be able to proceed (to be clear, this was in the initial responses from my following their direction and filling out the online repair request form; long before they ever had my lens)

... I could go on, but the above gave me the impression that this was not going to go well at all. 

OTOH, as noted, once I got to speak to a manager and understood the process everything went very quickly. He was able to reassure me that unless the unit was clearly damaged by misuse, that I would expect a no cost warranty repair and that they would cover return shipping (I did have to pay to ship it to the repair center). 

I believe if they had better training for some of the front line help desk employees responsible for email communications, that I would have had a much better overall experience. In the end, I got exactly what I was expecting - a very quick repair and a functioning lens. 

I hope my comments have painted an accurate picture of my Sigma warranty experience. I will not hesitate to buy future Sigma products as I do believe their repair center is well stocked and efficient; I will just know that if I do have an issue at any time, I will phone to speak to a manager. I hope this is helpful! 

Brad

• Like 3