Leica S-H adaptor on Leica S007

rollsman4

I used it, and it worked well. The HC 300/4.5 was fully functional. It doesn't like teleconverters and it doesn't like orange dot lenses. I don't remember precisely what "doesn't like" means. But with magnified focus peaking, getting sharp images with the 300/4.5 was easy - easier than on the Hasselblad X2D! 

Hand held. Down-sampled, so not as crisp as in real life.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by mgrayson3
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, rollsman4 said:

Thank you Matt, I appreciate the good feedback on this   

You're welcome. I sold that lens and got the Zeiss 350/5.6 SA instead. I'm not sorry that I got the 350, but I regret selling the HC 300. At the time, the lack of TC compatibility bothered me. But it's a very sharp and easy to use lens in a range where nothing like it exists for the S.

Hi Matt, according to the Leica adaptor S-H there are only several lenses they listed that worked with that adaptor. 

From HC35/3.5-HC 150/3.2 are compatible with the Leica S-H adaptor.  Maybe what I read was Incorrect???  

20 hours ago, John McMaster said:

What will the S(007) offer over the H5D that you owned for a week or so?  That would have run Hasselblad lenses natively.....

john

Hi John. The Ergonomics of the H5D I did not like.   I happen to like the feel of the S007 better and for Hand holding.  This is one reason I jump around

Edited by rollsman4

6 hours ago, John McMaster said:

Is this the 2nd or 3rd time you have tried the S?  Me, I have been happy with mine for over a decade and not needed to look elsewhere...

john

It is interesting to explore.  I love the S, yes.  But the S has rekindled some other photography for me and I’ve also been playing with a hasselblad 500cxi and some CF lenses.  The 120 format is a lot of fun.  It’s also given me a draw back to the R system and I’ve enjoyed the R8 and R9 with some older R glass.  The creative part sometimes calls us to try different tools.

But I understand - their are larger sensors, but there is nothing that draws like the S glass on an S body…

• Like 1

Hi John, I did not give the one I had a chance.  So, I decided to try it again and for a longer period of time. I also wanted to try the HC lenses this time. I only had the 70 last time and I really wanted to try the 120 but due to Budget I passed on it.  This time I did my homework and there have been good Reviews on using the HC lenses on the S007

I will know in a few days when I get the camera and the 2 HC lenses. TY   DEnnis

• Like 1

I have a selection of H mount lenses that I adapt to both an S007 and X1D. They work well on both. While most of my lenses are the latest version my HCD 28mm has the old firmware and so has no autofocus on the he X1D however it works fine me on the Leica! I haven’t had any problems with the orange dot lenses on the S007 or SE006 but they are limited to 1/1000th as a fastest shutter as the H6 and X1D combine leaf with e shutter to achieve 1/2000th.

I have also started using the Hasselblad HTS 1.5 tilt shift adapter with both these cameras and again it works very well all round. 

My only negative about the adapter is it is surprisingly heavy for such a small thing.

Hi Steve, Thank you for sharing this.  

Question:

The card is formatted. This is one of the Newest CF cards. Lexar 32GB UDMA 7 1066x speed
The CF card that works is an older one. Sandisk Extreme 64GB 160 speed

Is it possible that the Latest CF card will NOT work in the S007? Thank you.    Also, does the S007 have a tendency to underexpose?   The Histogram shows good but when I import them into LR Classic they are about 11/2 stops under exposed.  Thanks  Using the HC lenses. The HC 150 and the HC 35

PS  How are the R lenses on the S007?  I would be interested due to them being Lighter than the HC and Maybe Less expensive. I do LIKE to Have AF too

Edited by rollsman4

23 hours ago, rollsman4 said:

Also, does the S007 have a tendency to underexpose?   The Histogram shows good but when I import them into LR Classic they are about 11/2 stops under exposed.  Thanks  Using the HC lenses. The HC 150 and the HC 35

I encountered this issue once with my S-006, and it was in a room with dimmed LEDs. I didn't notice a flicker, but maybe it fooled the meter.

Here are some other possible issues:

Are you looking through the viewfinder? If not, light coming-in through the viewfinder could affect the meter. This is an issue with almost any SLR. The camera originally came with a viewfinder cover for this type of situation.

You are using adapted lenses, so it's possible that the lens is stopping-down too much, or that there is some other miscommunication between the lens and camera. Check if the exposure issue still happens wide-open. Be sure to also check that the lens doesn't stop-down when shot wide-open.

On 3/29/2023 at 2:40 PM, rollsman4 said:

Hi Steve, Thank you for sharing this.  

Question:

The card is formatted. This is one of the Newest CF cards. Lexar 32GB UDMA 7 1066x speed
The CF card that works is an older one. Sandisk Extreme 64GB 160 speed

Is it possible that the Latest CF card will NOT work in the S007? Thank you.    Also, does the S007 have a tendency to underexpose?   The Histogram shows good but when I import them into LR Classic they are about 11/2 stops under exposed.  Thanks  Using the HC lenses. The HC 150 and the HC 35

PS  How are the R lenses on the S007?  I would be interested due to them being Lighter than the HC and Maybe Less expensive. I do LIKE to Have AF too

I have used the "gold" lexar CF and SD cards in my S007 and S3 with no problems.  I do use SD Card Formatter first and then format them in the camera (first time).  After that I use SD formatter all the time.

In terms of underexposure, I'd check a few things. First, if you are metering for the middle in the viewfinder, be sure you know if you have set the EV to something other than zero.  I tend to keep mine at -2/3 of stop or so.  Also, be sure you know if you setup a saved profile for the camera in Lightroom that may have changed the exposure.

With a reset camera, the middle exposure is pretty well done, I just tend to blow the highlights easier (again S007 and S3, I used the S2P for about 6 months getting into the S system, but that was a long time ago).

Just my experience.