Leica S007 with Leica S - C Adaptor

rollsman4

Hi John, going through all the systems again for what I want. Its enjoyable to do it and ITS the Passion within.  

The S lenses are NOT cheap. I can get the S-H or S-C adaptor for appr 350.   Thats worth it for me to spend and then try the HC lenses or the Contax 645 Lenses. 

I read that the HC lenses are better and Faster AF than the Contax 645 lense  ( I wont even think about the Contax 80 )  Out of my price range

Thank you

9 hours ago, rollsman4 said:

I am thinking about using the Contax 645 Lenses on the S007. How reliable is this adaptor and for AF With Contax Lenses( My pick would be: Contax 645 Distagon T 35/3.5 and Sonnar T140/2.8 )
Thank you

Personally I prefer 120mm to 140mm. I also prefer 210mm to 140mm for smooth blurring. I would use Contax lens mostly with manual focus. The adapter is only meant to control aperture. 

I started with an S(006) and a Contax 35mm. I really like the 35 and 140 and used them happily while my S lenses were getting their motors upgraded. The 120 is good, but I would never get anything but the S120/2.5 for this system - it's such an outstanding performer. I never used the "normal" length Contax glass. I've been disappointed by the two 210 copies, and the 350 is expensive, heavy, and mediocre.

4 hours ago, mgrayson3 said:

I started with an S(006) and a Contax 35mm. I really like the 35 and 140 and used them happily while my S lenses were getting their motors upgraded. The 120 is good, but I would never get anything but the S120/2.5 for this system - it's such an outstanding performer. I never used the "normal" length Contax glass. I've been disappointed by the two 210 copies, and the 350 is expensive, heavy, and mediocre.

C210mm has very low second hand price. I guess there is some problem that I don't know yet. I have compared C210mm with Hasselblad V 180mm CF f4. While HV 180mm cf is a widely appreciated lens, HB once even claimed it's thee sharpest lens, on cropped sensor (48x36) I prefer C210mm over HV 180mm.  

I've read some review, saying just the two lenses, 35mm and 120mm, worth to get Contax 645.

I started C645 with 45mm, 80mm, and 140mm, as they are the cheapest starting set. Since then I added 35mm and 120mm. They are not only sharper, but extremely sweet, except I don't like the distortion of 35mm (compared to 45mm). 120mm is more or less a close-up macro lens. 140mm is more convenient for travel (AF). But I use 140mm as a background compression tool, for that, 210mm works much better.   To bad your expensive on C210mm is not good. 

I had 350mm once, before it was stolen. Mine is not sharp. Mine is even inferior to cropping HV180mm. Besides its size and weight, the major issue I have is that focal length. For such long tele, I prefer Nikon super tele. I think this is where Nikon and Canon are shining.   

I owned a Contax 645 with several Zeiss lenses so I could justify the cost of the adapter after selling the Contax body and the 80mm Zeiss lens. If you could acquire the adapter at a reasonable price, I see no reason not to use the Zeiss lenses. The 120mm Macro is just fine, extremely sharp, and the other lenses, while perhaps not quite up to the excellent Leica offerings, are nonetheless fine optics and certainly suitable for professional work, which is what I use them for. The adapter works well, and auto focus works well. That said, I did purchase the Leica 70mm CS lens in order to have flash sync with the central shutter. I do not think you will be disappointed whatever strategy you decide to pursue.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for all your experiences with the lenses and adaptors. I am going to try the HC lenses first and see how they perform on the S007

I might try the Contax adaptor with Contax lenses if I am not happy with the HC lenses.  I know one cant go wrong using the HC lenses.  Will see