Leica grip is a lot nicer than expected!

kinetic

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have always liked minimal setups, especially because it meant the camera was good enough as is… but the M11 was heavy enough to be hard to use for an all day shoot in its original form factor. I ended up going to a Leica store and tried the grip… instantly sold. Not only does it feel way more stable (especially for portrait orientation), but it looks seamless. I thought it would add bulk and look dorky, but it matches perfectly. 

Here’s my current accessory setup, I’m thinking this is it:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

I agree. I like the grip as well. It's a great complement to the camera, especially if you use tripods frequently. Fit and finish are excellent, and overall it seems well made and sturdy. It is easy to peel back the rubber bottom seal to pop the battery if needed. Fortunately, I have not needed to do that since installing the 1.6.1 firmware update.  

• Like 1

Just now, chris7273 said:

Maybe just “ironic” 🙂

One thing I've found that has been unique to Leica communities is this really quick "negative" feeling I get quite often. I don't see this much anywhere else. I'm not just talking about this forum, though this forum lacks that more than something like the Leica Subreddit. Every comment seems to be taken as an attack for whatever reason, and someone has to posture to make themselves feel better.

FFS it's heavy thus needed better grip. But it's just taken as stupid, and thus must point out how stupid this is. It's like a blatant ignorance for the sake of making oneself feel better about their small lens.

I'm generalizing, there's plenty of great people here, but I can't help but notice how much negativity and sourness I've felt after joining a few different communities around Leica's vs. other brands/hobby groups/etc.

It's just so unwelcoming. It makes me feel dirty talking about the brand, I don't want to get lumped in to all of that.

• Like 2

Just now, Al Brown said:

Indeed, you have unjustly taken my comment as an attack.

I'm about done generalizing, but this is again a perfect example.

"You're stupid"

"You're stupid for thinking I called you stupid."

Or maybe I'm just overreacting. Maybe. Maybe it's just something else, like a language barrier or misunderstanding, but I can't help but notice this throughout. No scientific proof here, but I've never felt so unwelcome in a community, especially a photo community.

Photography to me has always been great because of those around me. I loved to learn, and to be part of that group. This just puts a bad taste in my mouth, and I can't put a finger on it.

I'm not saying it's everyone else's fault and I'm perfect. It might very well be me. It's just so strange that I've felt this particularly with the Leica community. Does the "prestige" of the brand add to that? I'm normally not part of more expensive/lofty brand type of communities.

18 hours ago, J S H said:

I agree. I like the grip as well. It's a great complement to the camera, especially if you use tripods frequently. Fit and finish are excellent, and overall it seems well made and sturdy. It is easy to peel back the rubber bottom seal to pop the battery if needed. Fortunately, I have not needed to do that since installing the 1.6.1 firmware update.  

Oh you mean you had to do that to fix the freezing issue!

Do you just charge using the USB cable?

17 hours ago, intangiblethings said:

I have the grip and thumb loop on my M10-P and I agree it’s one of those, “it feels so much better with it” experiences.

I shoot a lot of off-camera flash in portrait orientation and the set up helps a ton.

what is the thumb loop? Is that the silicon loop attachment to the grip?

1 minute ago, kinetic said:

I'm about done generalizing, but this is again a perfect example.

"You're stupid"

"You're stupid for thinking I called you stupid."

Or maybe I'm just overreacting. Maybe. Maybe it's just something else, like a language barrier or misunderstanding, but I can't help but notice this throughout. No scientific proof here, but I've never felt so unwelcome in a community, especially a photo community.

Photography to me has always been great because of those around me. I loved to learn, and to be part of that group. This just puts a bad taste in my mouth, and I can't put a finger on it.

I'm not saying it's everyone else's fault and I'm perfect. It might very well be me. It's just so strange that I've felt this particularly with the Leica community. Does the "prestige" of the brand add to that? I'm normally not part of more expensive/lofty brand type of communities.

Welcome to the community.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, kinetic said:

Oh you mean you had to do that to fix the freezing issue!

Do you just charge using the USB cable?

Yes, I have had the camera since early January of this year and until 1.6.1 was released, it locked up maybe once a week. Not the end of the world, popping the battery out always fixed the issue. It seems to be more stable now on 1.6.1. 

Yes, I charge and transfer images via USB. I have a memory card in the camera, but it is set to record to internal memory first. Even if you save to the card, you can still transfer to the computer via USB, if desired. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kinetic said:

One thing I've found that has been unique to Leica communities is this really quick "negative" feeling I get quite often. I don't see this much anywhere else. I'm not just talking about this forum, though this forum lacks that more than something like the Leica Subreddit. Every comment seems to be taken as an attack for whatever reason, and someone has to posture to make themselves feel better...

It's just so unwelcoming. It makes me feel dirty talking about the brand, I don't want to get lumped in to all of that.

@kinetic welcome to the forum.  And yes, I too know what you are talking about.  Some people simply cannot bear the horrific burden of addressing others in a civil and respectful tone.  Fortunately people of that ilk are few on this forum, but their snide and condescending attitudes cause them to stick out like sore thumbs. 

For a number of years, I have threatened to start a company called "Life's Short."  My company would create and bring to market a diverse line of products including coffee mugs, beer steins, pint ale glasses, trucker hats, Dad hats, tee shirts, hoodies, sweat shirts  sew on morale patches, bumper stickers and decals.  They would all bear precepts such as -

Life's Short - don't be a penis
Life's Short - don't be an anus
Life's Short - don't be an inflamed vagina
Life's Short - don't be an online gaping rectal orifice

It is apparently time to launch Life's Short into the marketplace.  We could even have a line of limited edition merchandise bearing the Leica Forum's logo, if Andreas were to be amenable to such an alliance.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Can’t speak for everyone or know what you’ve experienced. Everyone in the community has been super friendly and helpful in my experience.  That said the internet is known for its jerks in general so maybe I’ve been lucky. 

Might be entirely off the mark but there’s an unfortunate trend that’s always been a thing but exploded in the last 5-10 years with social media of people buying into the leica brand to take photos of their leica, not with their camera.  You might be getting some heat for that, or a perceived association with that portion of the “leica community”.  

People also come to this “community” for different reasons, personally I couldn’t care less if my camera was a leica or not. I want a quality full frame digital range finder because I prefer a small range finder camera, and can’t deal with film anymore. Leica is currently the only option.  That puts me in one camp, others are in different camps, sometimes these camps disagree about things. The key is not to let it bother you and know which camp your are in, and be comfortable with that choice    .

• Like 2

I think if you just pick up a camera and look at the rangefinder red > 0 < and wonder what they are without reading the basic quickstart guide and posting the question here! I think you will have to aspect interesting answers.

I would have googled the question first.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Photoworks said:

I think if you just pick up a camera and look at the rangefinder red > 0 < and wonder what they are without reading the basic quickstart guide and posting the question here! I think you will have to aspect interesting answers.

I would have googled the question first.

Wow, you are exactly what I'm talking about. You find all sorts of random things to prove something. I hope you're proud of yourself.

I think the lack of self-awareness is even worse than what's actually being said. I'm amazed.