Used M6 prices falling? Not according to this...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just received email from Leica Store Miami listing their newest used arrivals.  They've got multiple M6 TTLs priced at $5295.  Granted they all have had recent Wetzlar CLAs and have MP viewfinders, but still. 

Despite the recent scratching issues, I can't really see the point in buying an older used M6 for the same price as a brand new M6.  It'll be interesting to see if these sell at this price.  

https://leicastoremiami.com/products/used-leica-m6-ttl-0-72-black-chrome-with-mp-finder-recent-leica-wetzlar-cla-1

I wonder if one can base an assumption on world wide prices of Leica M6 on a sole dealer in Coral Gables, Florida.
But yes, the prices were adjusted a bit due to the influx of used M6 cameras recently as many were dumping their old M6 to get a new one, prices actually fell globally but the market will pick up sooner or later IMHO. The dealers and eBay pricing, that's another story.

• Like 1

Exactly - the Wetzlar CLA cost, MP finder upgrades and the added margin for the retailer adds up to the final price. The listed price here seems extremely high.  If you look at a standard M6 TTL in the used market now its about 3k to 3.4K. Classic M6s will go from about 2.5k to 3k depending on condition.  I would suggest looking at other places and comparing the prices instead of using Leica Store Miami as the starting price gauge. 

Edited by twogun

They're trying to 'upsell' to people coming in for a new M6.

"The M6 is nice, but we're waiting on a delivery of the new improved ones that don't scratch film, so what about an M6TTL? It's like the M6 but better, it's got TTL see and was already fitted with the new improved scratchless pressure plate!"

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

41 minutes ago, Crem said:

Does that vendor negotiate on used gear? I assume that's the list price, but not the price it will actually sell at.  

I've only ever purchased one piece of used gear from them and I didn't attempt to negotiate.  Even if they did negotiate on the price of a used M6, I don't think they'd knock off $2K 😉 

Edited by logan2z
  • Like 1

In 2013 when I sent a M6 TTL to the factory for similar upgrades the price was about €1000. They are really nice upgrades but not enough to make a twenty year old camera worth as much as the new release.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, logan2z said:

I've only ever purchased one piece of used gear from them and I didn't attempt to negotiate.  Even if they did negotiate on the price of a used M6, I don't think they'd knock off $2K 😉 

Agreed I can’t imagine them knocking 2k off, but I suspect a discount is needed to make it move. That said they have a really great team and I’m sure they know what they are doing. I’ll be watching it to see if it moves. 

Edited by Crem

No way would I pay that much for an M6TTL.   These have an irreplaceable meter circuit board that has started to fail on a small fraction of cameras.  The failure rate of these boards in the next 10 years is an unknown quantity, but I would not be surprised to see it rise given that the cameras are 20-30 years old.  

12 hours ago, andrew01 said:

No way would I pay that much for an M6TTL.   These have an irreplaceable meter circuit board that has started to fail on a small fraction of cameras.  The failure rate of these boards in the next 10 years is an unknown quantity, but I would not be surprised to see it rise given that the cameras are 20-30 years old.  

plaidshirts posted this on 1March2023:

Well, is official. 
I just received this mail from Leica:

At the moment we can not carry out any repairs on the M6 and M6 TTL concerning electronic parts because they are not available anymore.

We will offer un upgrade by the middle of this year to the new M6. The top cover including all electronic parts will be exchanged.

Please contact us again later this year.

If Josh or David (of Leica Store Miami) got on their live (Leica) Camera Talk Youtube stream and said how unique and valuable an M6TTL was and -- WE HAPPEN TO HAVE ONE! -- I bet it would be sold at asking price within 5 minutes.  They have (as retailers) an enviable situation of having *earned* (need to be fair on that point) a very loyal following and once they get their viewers lathered up about a camera they discuss on their show, they'll sell that camera ... or camera bag ... or lens.  I'm going to go light on any criticism because they provide interesting, timely and relevant content to an international audience.   And they wear awesome watches.  And have a dog.  And plaid shirts.  Their only deficit is their complete lack of acknowledgement of quality or interesting third party lenses but as they're in business to sell Leica-branded products, I can look past that.

In my film Leica days I had an M2, M6, M6 TTL, and an M7. I  The M6 was the only film camera I kept after I switched to digital.  I liked the fact that the M6 wouldn't accidentally drain the battery like the TTL/7 could/did. I never had any issue at all with the shutter speed dial size or direction of movement.  In fact, when I got the TTL my reaction initially to the changed dial was, "What's up with this?" ;)  The LED meter change, with the dot in the middle, also didn't seem necessary to me - IOW, I didn't have any trouble with the two LEDs of the original. I was OK with the three, but it didn't make any difference to my exposures - wasn't easier or better or worse, just different.  I'm sure the TTL would have been better if I was an extensive flash user but I wasn't.  So why did I buy one?  For the same reason that many of us probably bought new cameras...because they were "newer and better."  Hey, it took me a while to realize that "advertising" can be just another word for "lying."  Actually I learned that in the high performance auto engine-building world but that's unrelated to Leica/this thread!! 🙄

I never bonded with the M7 at all and sold it 6 months after purchasing it.  I had the same experience with my one and only Porsche 911. 

I liked the M2 but by that point all 35mm cameras I had been using for many years had light meters (various Nikon/Canon/Pentax).   I kept the M2 for a few years "just because" it was a (my first) Leica but I wasn't using it at all so eventually sold it.

As I've said before, the original M6 was/is my favorite 35mm film camera.  But if someone forced me to name a 35mm film replacement for the '6, it would probably be a Pentax MX or a Nikon FM2 but I don't want to deal with buying lenses for another camera system.  I used both of those cameras extensively on year-around ice-climbing outings when I lived in Alaska for 10 years and both were dead nuts reliable.  Leica's came later in my photographic life, a couple of years after (sadly) leaving Alaska.

So I think the reality is that I would not consider replacing my M6 with a new M6 OR another old one if the light meter failed.  I would probably shoot only 120 as far as film is concerned.

Edited by Mikep996
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikep996 said:

For the same reason that many of us probably bought new cameras...because they were "newer and better."  Hey, it took me a while to realize that "advertising" can be just another word for "lying."  

Good points! I still have the M4 I bought in '68, and the M6 in '85. The meter in the M6 convinced me to splurge on it and use the M4 as a backup. I never saw an advantage to the M6TTL or M7 for the way I use a camera. The M6TTL is really a different model - just carried the M6 in its name for marketing reasons, and shouldn't be lumped in with the M6. 

BTW, I also used the Pentax MX for decades, and still have a couple with many of their nice compact lenses. It's still a great user camera for places an SLR is better suited. I also got a Leicaflex SL in 1969 and used it until the MX came out, when its small size and great handling (and reasonable priced lenses) won me over. I preferred the Leicaflex SL "large spot" meter, but once you understand a meter's coverage you can do well with any. My favorite meter pattern in the M5 spot, but I prefer the M6 dual LED VF display.

I sometimes do go for "newer" models - finally sold my '73 Beetle last year...

• Like 2

On 3/18/2023 at 11:59 AM, Huss said:

To be fair, that M6 TTL comes w the highly desirable zinc top plate.

(cool your jets zinc fans, at least it doesn’t scratch film!)

Beat me to it. I was going to say they have two advantages over the new M6, they don't scratch film, and they are available now. A new M6 right now is more rare than the 35 APO-M.

vor 22 Stunden schrieb TomB_tx:

Good points! I still have the M4 I bought in '68, and the M6 in '85. The meter in the M6 convinced me to splurge on it and use the M4 as a backup. I never saw an advantage to the M6TTL or M7 for the way I use a camera. The M6TTL is really a different model - just carried the M6 in its name for marketing reasons, and shouldn't be lumped in with the M6. 

BTW, I also used the Pentax MX for decades, and still have a couple with many of their nice compact lenses. It's still a great user camera for places an SLR is better suited. I also got a Leicaflex SL in 1969 and used it until the MX came out, when its small size and great handling (and reasonable priced lenses) won me over. I preferred the Leicaflex SL "large spot" meter, but once you understand a meter's coverage you can do well with any. My favorite meter pattern in the M5 spot, but I prefer the M6 dual LED VF display.

I sometimes do go for "newer" models - finally sold my '73 Beetle last year...

nice arguments here. I bought a M6 classic in 2001 for 800€, she got a new platine shortly after (the lightmeter was broken) and I got an MP-viewfinder installed (500+460€) at that time.

She works soft as butter, I love that wonderful instrument.

Chapeau @Leica for rebuilding that masterpiece nowadays and giving people the chance to get one of those.

I do not care about the price rising or falling of my beauty as I will not sell it...

• Like 2