Searching for a special 35mm

Cronilux

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am searching for a 35mm lens that will give me that special character like a Noctilux or 50 Summilux pre-asph. Does something like that exist?

I was looking into the 35mm steel rim re-issue, but feel like it has already too much glow at f1.4.

Any recommendations. Example images would be amazing as well. 

21 minutes ago, Lee S said:

I understand the 35mm Nokton Classic F1.4 V2 is closely related to the steel rim. Might be worth a look? 

+ single coating.  But the OP might implies those swirly bokeh, that’s vintage mostly.  

Edited by jaeger

vor 37 Minuten schrieb jaeger:

+ single coating.  But the OP might implies those swirly bokeh, that’s vintage mostly.  

I own it and I like it a lot. Bought the SC version for that reason. Just thought there might be a Leica lens I am missing out on. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 46 Minuten schrieb Cronilux:

I own it and I like it a lot. Bought the SC version for that reason. Just thought there might be a Leica lens I am missing out on. 

There are a few versions of the 35mm Summilux pre asph. Try one of the later copys. The Steel Rim and the infinity lock version have the most glow.

2 hours ago, Cronilux said:

[...] I was looking into the 35mm steel rim re-issue, but feel like it has already too much glow at f1.4. [...]

If you find too much glow out of the current (v3?) version of that lens, neither v1 nor v2 of the same will fit your bill i fear. I would keep the Nokton 35/1.4 SC v2 you already have then.

2 hours ago, Cronilux said:

special character

i personally like the CV 35mm f1.2 III. it's basically permanently glued to my m246. it's not too big or heavy (smaller and lighter than the mk. I and II)

it's easily sharp enough wide open (for my needs). it also vignettes quite a bit wide open, but again that works well for portraits

shooting this lens at f1.2 gives the images a unique look for this focal length. also has a MFD of 0.5m.

you can judge for yourself if this the type of 'special' you're looking for 🤓 n.b. - i've cropped most of these images in post 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by sometimesmaybe
  • Like 15

Vintage Canons or Nikkors in LTM. The respective 35/1.5 and 35/1.8 have reached sky-high prices, but the 35/1.8 or 35/2 (Canon) or 35/2.5 (Nikkor) are much more affordable. I also like the CV 35/1.2 v1 (although it is indeed large and heavy) and the MS-Optics Apoqualia 35/1.4 (no experience with the more recent 35/1.3), but they both have become scarce. I can think of a few others, but they are either extremely difficult to find or would require a conversion to be used on a Leica body. Plenty of examples in this thread.

Edited by Ecar

I bought the VM 35mm Nokton III f1.2 last year and a little while ago bought the Nokton Classic II SC f1.4.  For me the Nokton f1.2 serves as a 35mm 'Noctilux'.  I've been pleased with the results on M10M and M11.  Ergonomics and weight make it a pleasure to use.  

The small size and light weight of the Classic II SC make for an excellent 'walk-about' lens that is capable of excellent results (IMHO, of course!).

1) Nokton III / M11

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2) Classic II SC / M11

• Like 4