Summicron/Elmarit 28mm asph on film: v1 or v2?

LocalHero1953

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am considering a s/h 28mm to use with my M4 and MP, most likely a modern Summicron Asph or Elmarit Asph. Both were redesigned a few years ago to work better on digital bodies, the SL in particular. My current plan is to get the Elmarit Asph v1, because it is small, brilliant, cheap (as Leicas go), and I owned one before. A Summicron Asph remains an option though.

A question for those who have owned both versions of either the Summicron or the Elmarit: is there any benefit for a film user in getting the later (current) version of either lens? Would I notice a difference?

-----

More background

• I sold my last digital M (M240) a good many years ago and I'm unlikely to get a new one. I have a SL2-S and Q2, and I am unlikely to use M lenses on my SL2-S.
  • I will not get the Summilux 28: too large (viewfinder blockage), and my photography with it would not depend on DoF/bokeh, though the extra speed would be nice. In digital I have the Q2 for such cases.
  • The Summaron 28 is interesting, but a bit slow and a bit niche. I owned a Summaron 3.5cm and sold it for lack of use.
  • I had the Elmarit Asph v1 with the M9 and M240, and used and liked it a lot. (And sold it with the M240.)
  • I already have Summilux 35 and 50, both pre-asph. I also have Summilux 75 and Thambar-M 90, but these actually were bought to use on the SL2-S.

Paul, I have used both versions of the Elmarit and currently own the version 2, and a version 1 Summicron.  For film I found very little difference between the two Elmarits optically but ergonomically the v2 is vastly better because of smaller hood.  Since a v2 is maybe $100 - $150 more on the used market I'd strongly consider the v2.

I rarely use the v1 Summicron since getting the v2 Elmarit.  The Summicron is a great lens but I rarely need the extra stop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RayD28 said:

Paul, I have used both versions of the Elmarit and currently own the version 2, and a version 1 Summicron.  For film I found very little difference between the two Elmarits optically but ergonomically the v2 is vastly better because of smaller hood.  Since a v2 is maybe $100 - $150 more on the used market I'd strongly consider the v2.

I rarely use the v1 Summicron since getting the v2 Elmarit.  The Summicron is a great lens but I rarely need the extra stop. 

Thanks, Ray- just the sort of advice I was hoping for!

vor 3 Stunden schrieb LocalHero1953:

I had the Elmarit Asph v1 with the M9 and M240, and used and liked it a lot.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb LocalHero1953:

I already have Summilux 35

In view of the above, go for the Elmarit Asph (whether v1 or v2 is not so important in my view). I own the Summicron 28 v1 and like it better than the Elmarit Asph., as the former in my view has a unique capability of rendering the light just as I feel it was when a shot was taken, but that may well be personal preference.

Andy

• Thanks 1