SL2 Viewfinder

Sandokan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I tried an SL2 in a Leica shop but even after adjusting the eye correction so i could read the display perfectly, the actual image of the scene was never sharp even when the lens autofocused to that point. Is this normal or did i forget a setting to tone down contrast? A M11 with EVF was sharp

The sl2 and sl2-s have very sharp EVF’s (even the original SL 601) was sharp.  I use -3 to -4 diopters and I have no trouble on the SL2-S.  Try manual focus and move it all around to see what happens in the display, also be sure to use brighter outside light and autoexposure to limit the issues that might cause problems.  

I also find the iDR or whatever setting that is for JPEG shadow recovery causes the display to show one image brightness regardless of exposure, so I turn it off..

• Like 2

Thanks David - I did all that but nothing except the display (aperture, shutter speed, grid lines, etc) was sharp. the scene was not sharp and did not snap into focus, even adjusting manually. My eyes were fine as the EVF on the M11 was sharp. The only thing I did not do on the SL2 was increase magnification, but only because the button functions are different to my SL. 

I have noticed this as well. I think it is because it is such a high MP sensor and displaying a tiny jpeg. if I zoom in it looks fine, but the standard image does look not as sharp as I would like. 

edit: to clarify, image is fine, just the display on the back seems to suffer from some IQ loss when displaying it on such a small screen. 

Edited by bennymod
  • Thanks 1

My SL2 VF display and image are both sharp and easy to see. With back button AF, and focus magnification engaged via manual lens turn, I can quickly confirm. I don’t like EVFs generally, but this was a pleasant attribute when I first tested the SL2. Seems something was amiss with your sample.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Sandokan said:

Thanks David - I did all that but nothing except the display (aperture, shutter speed, grid lines, etc) was sharp. the scene was not sharp and did not snap into focus, even adjusting manually. My eyes were fine as the EVF on the M11 was sharp. The only thing I did not do on the SL2 was increase magnification, but only because the button functions are different to my SL. 

Have you looked at the sensor and front and back of the lens? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but a fingerprint can cause things to be blurry. It sounds like you are saying that nothing in the scene is in focus, but only the overlays?  Have you tried the EVF and the back LCD? Are they the same?  Odd for sure…

• Thanks 1

So gridlines are sharp, head up display information is sharp, but the image is sharp when making the picture and blurry in the viewfinder?

to me that sounds impossible. 

How can the image be sharp as you take it , but blurry in the contemplating? 

how much time did you spend with the camera? 

Did you talk to the employee of the shop and discuss that you see the image blurry? 

did you check a second sl2? 

did you check another lens? 

the only thing I can think of is macro. 

camera is searching in macro everything of the head up display is sharp , but image blurry. 

On 3/14/2023 at 11:24 AM, 1Haufen said:

As far as I know, the frame rate in the EVF of 120 fps reduces the image quality of the EVF; you can see it in the resolution, the image is less sharp than at 60 fps. That could also be a reason.

I had exactly the same experience. It was quite disappointing tbh. Once you drop EVF frame rate to 60, the picture is sharp. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pf4eva said:

I had exactly the same experience. It was quite disappointing tbh. Once you drop EVF frame rate to 60, the picture is sharp. 

I did't know that if you drop frame rate in the EVF to 60fps that the image inside will be shown sharper... 

I always had it set on 120fps and find that the image was enough sharp to get focus manually, without focus assist or focus peaking,
with any lens that I mounted on my SL2-S... To me the picture inside EVF looked always sharp enough...

Now i set the EVF on 60fps and notice the difference but it is not that big... 
I will let the EVF set on 60fps, the picture is sharper and perhaps this setting can help little bit with battery life... :D 

Nikola

1 hour ago, LEGEND said:

I did't know that if you drop frame rate in the EVF to 60fps that the image inside will be shown sharper... 

I always had it set on 120fps and find that the image was enough sharp to get focus manually, without focus assist or focus peaking,
with any lens that I mounted on my SL2-S... To me the picture inside EVF looked always sharp enough...

Now i set the EVF on 60fps and notice the difference but it is not that big... 
I will let the EVF set on 60fps, the picture is sharper and perhaps this setting can help little bit with battery life... :D 

Nikola

I've noticed that it happens when you in 120fps mode and half press the button. It is literally like resolution cut in half or even more, very noticeable.

I had it on SL2 with latest fw, maybe on SL2s is is less of the issue (less pixels on a sensor to convert to EVF resolution). Most likely just simply bandwidth related.

4 minutes ago, pf4eva said:

I've noticed that it happens when you in 120fps mode and half press the button. It is literally like resolution cut in half or even more, very noticeable.

I had it on SL2 with latest fw, maybe on SL2s is is less of the issue (less pixels on a sensor to convert to EVF resolution). Most likely just simply bandwidth related.

Is this with AF lens?
I heard somewhere about this or similar issue when you use AF lens and half press the shutter to focus that the EVF drop the picture quality...
Perhaps this was only on SL2 and not on SL2-S...
Don't know why... Is the prefocus function set to On?
I think this can also make some problems like this... 

Nikola

• Like 1

Yes, I was coming to ask that. I have found that in AFc of iAF (the default mode for some reason), the display image drops in quality when the shutter button is half pressed. I does not do this in AFs except during the actual movement of the lens. I imagine that this is a bandwidth or processing power issue, but who knows. My recommendation would be to have AFs of MF selected, which eliminates the problem. Similarly, 60fps seems to be a better choice when it comes to VF sharpness.

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LEGEND said:

Is this with AF lens?
I heard somewhere about this or similar issue when you use AF lens and half press the shutter to focus that the EVF drop the picture quality...
Perhaps this was only on SL2 and not on SL2-S...
Don't know why... Is the prefocus function set to On?
I think this can also make some problems like this... 

Nikola

Yes, I only tested with AF lens. It very well can be SL2 specific as processor need to do more calculations. 

It happens with both prefocus on and off. But really once you're trying to focus - resolution drops and picture looks ugly. I've looked in manual and they didn't even mention it.

You can also try with AF-C, i think it is even more noticeable in this mode.

This is one of the reasons I kept SL 601 and returned SL2, i wanted 120fps, but it is useless 

On 3/14/2023 at 8:00 AM, Pelu2010 said:

So gridlines are sharp, head up display information is sharp, but the image is sharp when making the picture and blurry in the viewfinder?

It is not really blurry, it is like watching 480p video on HDTV without proper scaling.