Film canister stuck Leica II

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I finished a test roll on a new to me Leica II (model D). Everything was very smooth. However, after fully rewinding the film, it is stuck inside. I have tried to gently rotate it using pliers but still no luck. The canister can rotate a bit but that’s it (this has caused the paint loss on the canister).

Any idea or suggestion ? I tried google but most reported issues seem to be related to not rewinding the film fully.

I double checked that no film is visible using B… 

Thanks a lot!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Aryel
Missing some info

First the film should be safe and light-tight in the canister, you can loosen the two scews next to the canister to losen that metal part if it blocks the canister. Otherwise you can remove the top and pull the chassis out of the body-shell. I'd avoid brute force in the darkroom while pulling out the canister or destroying it and tore it piece-while out of the camera ;-)

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, romanus53 said:

First the film should be safe and light-tight in the canister, you can loosen the two scews next to the canister to losen that metal part if it blocks the canister. Otherwise you can remove the top and pull the chassis out of the body-shell. I'd avoid brute force in the darkroom while pulling out the canister or destroying it and tore it piece-while out of the camera 😉

Thanks a lot, I unscrewed the metal part next to the canister and that was enough to remove the film. Will try another roll, and if stuck will send the camera for a CLA. Thanks a lot for helping me save my roll!

• Like 1

I recently had a similar problem with a FILCA cassette which was caused by a small paper label I had put on the cassette to remind me where it had come from. I managed to open the cassette in a changing bag and remove the film, then I could grip the outer shell of the FILCA and pull it out, scraping the label off as it came out. Was your cassette unusual in any way? Did it go in easily? The space for the cassettes in the screw Leicas does not have much leaway for thicker cassettes.

• Thanks 1

Try pushing it back in and then try again. If it went in without force it should only be a case of getting it out again without it getting to such an acute angle that it snags, so it should just drop out, you seem to have it wedged at an angle.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is that a bit of distortion around that end of the body (bottom right in your image)? I suspect these Barnacks are not as rigid as a modern M. Malcolm Taylor serviced my II Model D, and spent some time twisting it back into shape! (I hadn't noticed).

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Is that a bit of distortion around that end of the body (bottom right in your image)? I suspect these Barnacks are not as rigid as a modern M. Malcolm Taylor serviced my II Model D, and spent some time twisting it back into shape! (I hadn't noticed).

Good point.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

Was your cassette unusual in any way? Did it go in easily?

The cassette is typical, fujicolor. It went in fairly easily. After trying again with an empty cassette, I can take it in/out but there is zero leeway. 

4 hours ago, 250swb said:

Try pushing it back in and then try again. If it went in without force it should only be a case of getting it out again without it getting to such an acute angle that it snags, so it should just drop out, you seem to have it wedged at an angle.

I tried this with an empty cassette, a tiny bit of force needed to go in, a tiny bit of force needed to go out and it needs to be at the perfect angle. 

4 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Is that a bit of distortion around that end of the body (bottom right in your image)?

Yes, that’s a very good point. I compared the inside with a ii converted to iif and it seems to not only have a bit of distortion but a bit of the black material inside missing (near the distortion). I guess it took a hit sometime in its life:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It seems to be in very good shape other than this. The viewfinder and the focusing patch are really crystal clear. I’ll get this film processed before deciding what to do…

Thanks a lot for all the inputs!

• Like 1