New Leica SL Telezoom: Leica Vario-Elmar- SL 100-400 f/5-6.3

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

As does the 16-35. My 24-90 (well loved/used) has some creep. I don’t use it in a way that it’s an issue though.

Gordon

Just my own experience with the lenses.  Others may have different experiences but that is life in general.

7 hours ago, Mak67 said:

@FlashGordonPhotographythé Real question is:  which one will you keep? Sigma or Leica version ?

Logically the Sigma. Probably the Leica. :)

Even though the Leica is heavier I prefer it in hand. It feels better to use and that’s important to me. I like the zoom ring better. I like the filter consistency with my other L zooms.

I may keep the SIgma as well, for when I know it’ll be on my back for a hike.

Gordon

• Like 3

Just now, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Logically the Sigma. Probably the Leica. :)

Even though the Leica is heavier I prefer it in hand. It feels better to use and that’s important to me. I like the zoom ring better. I like the filter consistency with my other L zooms.

I may keep the SIgma as well, for when I know it’ll be on my back for a hike.

Gordon

Can you remove the tripod collar on Leica, and how much does it weight?

14 hours ago, SrMi said:

Can you remove the tripod collar on Leica, and how much does it weight?

According to my scales:

Sigma w’out collar - 1142 grams (not including the rubber ring I didn’t put back on lens so add a few grams.)

Sigma with collar - 1265 grams

Leica without removable plate - 1512 grams

Leica with removable plate - 1560 grams

Sigma has a removable collar and the Leica has a removable plate. The Leica plate is much closer to the lens and so stores better with the plate on. Plus the plate is easier to store when removed. Like the 90-280 but better as the plate is closer to the lens than the 90-280. The rotation of the Leica is much smoother than the Sigma and it has soft stops at each 90 degrees. Like the 90-280 it has a 1/4 inch tread under the plate. Both are Arca Swiss compatible. The Sigma collar is an optional accessory.

Gordon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 14 Minuten schrieb FlashGordonPhotography:

According to my scales:

Sigma w’out collar - 1142 grams (not including the rubber ring I didn’t put back on lens so add a few grams.)

Sigma with collar - 1265 grams

Leica without removable plate - 1512 grams

Leica with removable plate - 1560 grams

Sigma has a removable collar and the Leica has a removable plate. The Leica plate is much closer to the lens and so stores better with the plate on. Plus the plate is easier to store when removed. Like the 90-280 but better as the plate is closer to the lens than the 90-280. The rotation of the Leica is much smoother than the Sigma and it has soft stops at each 90 degrees. Like the 90-280 it has a 1/4 inch tread under the plate. Both are Arca Swiss compatible. The Sigma collar is an optional accessory.

Gordon

the plate of 90-280 has exactly the same "high" than SL601 with grip, perfectly

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 9.3.2023 um 19:41 schrieb JeffWright:

The Leica has one more group and one more element.

Please allow me to disagree. From the schematics shown in #13 above, it would appear that the general optical layout is exactly the same. Of course, different glass and/or coatings may have been used, and tolerances may also be smaller in the Leica version of that lens, apart from the different lens housing.

On 3/9/2023 at 7:39 PM, Ken Abrahams said:

I am not really a telephoto kind of user however I am interested in this lens for a few projects coming up. Can anyone say about how the minimum aperture for this lens and relevant ISO setting might work, especially in lower "non contrasting" light. It would seem that ISO settings would need to be relatively high such as 800-3200?

Best

Ken  

It depends on the camera. For an SL2, 3200 ISO is pretty much the ceiling, ‘maybe’ 6400 if you need the shot, while the SL2-S is fine, even at 12,800 ISO 

On 3/13/2023 at 10:11 AM, wizard said:

Please allow me to disagree. From the schematics shown in #13 above, it would appear that the general optical layout is exactly the same. Of course, different glass and/or coatings may have been used, and tolerances may also be smaller in the Leica version of that lens, apart from the different lens housing.

Yes, I originally referenced the prior model of the Sigma 100-400. The new L mount versions have the same configuration.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 10:41 AM, JeffWright said:

Based on the schematics from Leica and Sigma, the Leica is very similar, but not identical to the Sigma. The Leica has one more group and one more element. Dimensions, maximum mag ratios slightly different as well. 

This is the chart which was posted earlier in this thread, top is Sigma and bottom is Leica.

Where is this "one more group and one more element"? I don't see it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 3/17/2023 at 3:11 AM, TMorita said:

This is the chart which was posted earlier in this thread, top is Sigma and bottom is Leica.

Where is this "one more group and one more element"? I don't see it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I made a mistake, compared the Leica to the previous version of the lens.

On 3/19/2023 at 2:34 PM, Scubajoe said:

I’m taking my new 100-400 to South Africa this coming weekend. Going on Safari & am excited to see the results.

Looking forward to hearing about your experience with it , and seeing some images.

Have a great trip.

Graeme

• Like 2

I’ve been playing around with the lens since Sunday. Some observations about the Leica. 

1. Its heavy (not a negative to me, if it lasts longer)

2. The zoom doesn’t slide out while walking (so far)

3. I haven’t seen any CA, and I’ve tried to make it happen.

4. The auto focus at 100mm is snappy, at 400mm it has to hunt sometimes. It’s super quiet. It’s very similar to the Sigma 150-600 as a ref.

5. The metal lens hood makes a ting noise if you brush it against something. Might not be cool in a hide at a water hole 😂

6. I’m puzzled why there isn’t a OIS on/off switch? Will that cause issues on a tripod?

Edited by Shawn30

14 minutes ago, Shawn30 said:

I’ve been playing around with the lens since Sunday. Some observations about the Leica. 

1. Its heavy (not a negative to me, if it lasts longer)

2. The zoom doesn’t slide out while walking (so far)

3. I haven’t seen any CA, and I’ve tried to make it happen.

4. The auto focus at 100mm is snappy, at 400mm it has to hunt sometimes. It’s super quiet. It’s very similar to the Sigma 150-600 as a ref.

5. The metal lens hood makes a ting noise if you brush it against something. Might not be cool in a hide at a water hole 😂

6. I’m puzzled why there isn’t a OIS on/off switch? Will that cause issues on a tripod?

Urn

Thanks for posting your early impressions.

Leica lens rely on in camera software to activate on/off OIS or at least that’s been my assumption i.e. when image stabilization is off in camera both IBIS and OIS are turned off. 

Leica clearly believes in having as few (if any) switches on lens itself. Manual switches can fail over time or introduce moisture or dust into the lens.

Edited by NicholasT
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, NicholasT said:

Does it have the same  AF "memory" as the 150-600? I found out by chance. if you focus on a subject with multiple layers the lens appears to remember what layer you forced it to focus on last.

7 hours ago, NicholasT said:

Thanks for posting your early impressions.

Leica lens rely on in camera software to activate on/off OIS or at least that’s been my assumption i.e. when image stabilization is off in camera both IBIS and OIS are turned off. 

Leica clearly believes in having as few (if any) switches on lens itself. Manual switches can fail over time or introduce moisture or dust into the lens.

I don’t know why this is repeated so often, that switches cause failures and allow dust and water ingress. This on the same lens that extends while zooming.

The SL bodies have switches and have an IP rating. The Nikon pro gear I shot had switches and were extremely reliable. Same goes for Sony and Canon and Pentax, etc  

Its certainly a design decision for Leica to avoid switches but I would suggest it’s more a combination of UI, aesthetics, and cost rather than any reliability benefit. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LD_50 said:

I don’t know why this is repeated so often, that switches cause failures and allow dust and water ingress. This on the same lens that extends while zooming.

The SL bodies have switches and have an IP rating. The Nikon pro gear I shot had switches and were extremely reliable. Same goes for Sony and Canon and Pentax, etc  

Its certainly a design decision for Leica to avoid switches but I would suggest it’s more a combination of UI, aesthetics, and cost rather than any reliability benefit. 

Point taken.

I assumed that Leica had more than UI and aesthetics driving this decision, but that was just an assumption repeating what is commonly stated on the subject.

Leica makes many hardware and software decisions that are driven solely by UI and design considerations.

I can also confirm that in all the years of owning Nikon, Cannon, Sony, and lenses of other manufacturers I’ve never had a switch fail or cause issues with an IP rating, etc.

On 3/19/2023 at 10:34 PM, Scubajoe said:

I’m taking my new 100-400 to South Africa this coming weekend. Going on Safari & am excited to see the results.

I was in the Leica store in Singapore just a few days ago for the same reason, going on Safari in Botswana and Namibia. I tried the lens for around 45 minutes in and around the store. I was surprised how easy it was to use.

• Rapid auto focus at 100mm, a bit laggy at 400mm but not to the extent that it was an issue
  • Handheld quite easily at 1/30sec, the lens is certainly lighter than expected
  • Very impressed with the image quality, no great comparisons done but what I see in LR is really very very good, marginally soft however around the edges
  • The x1.4 converter doesn't seem to degrade the images at all, it certainly is purpose built just for this lens.
  • Compact enough to fit in most camera bags.

A point of note, I asked the guys in the Leica store if both the IBIS in the SL2 and the OIS in the lens were both active simultaneously, they said they were. I was under the impression the IBIS was disabled with this lens on the SL2. Does anyone have the definitive answer on this. I was very surprised i was getting razor sharp images at 1/30", so maybe they both are? I didn't buy it right away, but know that I will!

On 3/21/2023 at 1:26 PM, jaapv said:

Does it have the same  AF "memory" as the 150-600? I found out by chance. if you focus on a subject with multiple layers the lens appears to remember what layer you forced it to focus on last.

Hey Jaapv, I’m not sure I can answer that. I focused on something near and fairly quick changed to a further subject maybe 60 yards away. At 400mm switching to the further (truck) both lens’s occasionally lost their bearings and took a second to recompose. I don’t feel like it’s a very realistic real world test. Both lens’s would do it fine about 5 times and then have to really hunt. Not a negative to me but I thought it could matter to some.