New Leica SL Telezoom: Leica Vario-Elmar- SL 100-400 f/5-6.3

LUF Admin

3 hours ago, John Horsley said:

I have the Sigma DG DN 100-400, is the Leica lens a badge engineered version of this lens, same number of elements and groups, same apertures?

Based on the schematics from Leica and Sigma, the Leica is very similar, but not identical to the Sigma. The Leica has one more group and one more element. Dimensions, maximum mag ratios slightly different as well. 

I was quite taken aback when I saw the price of this lens as these days I mainly use Nikon Z and their 100-400 is stellar, albeit at a higher price than this slower rebadged/slightly breathed over Leica effort.

At the same time, I was literally shocked to see the current prices of M cameras and lenses (I still enjoy my M10 and APO 50) and then the cynical 007 D-Lux effort. I do wonder where Leica are going…

Edited by marknorton
  • Thanks 1

vor 17 Minuten schrieb JeffWright:

Based on the schematics from Leica and Sigma, the Leica is very similar, but not identical to the Sigma. The Leica has one more group and one more element. Dimensions, maximum mag ratios slightly different as well. 

It‘s the same schematics, just the scale is different. Which does not mean the lenses overall are the same or perform similar. That‘s a different story 🙂

Edited by Daniel C.1975

1 hour ago, sebben said:

Has Leica given up on being a lens designer?

Are we in a new age where Leica is just a badge?

No doubt the Leica versions are nicer due to attention to details. Using metal instead of plastic for a nicer feel and so on. Some software tweaks so they work with the SLs a little better.

But this all leaves a weird taste in my mouth considering the prices they are charging for which is essentially a repackage of a much cheaper third party optic. 

Leica has been using outside lens designs since before WW II... Does that answer your question?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, graeme_clarke said:

Now I'm wondering - will the new Sigma 60-600 give as good results and be better value for money than this lens + 1.4 extender????

They are not even in the same category use-wise. The 60-600 is HEAVY. I weighed my 60-600 on my SL2-S, and the rig is over 8lbs at 3692g. It's not easy to use for more than a few minutes at a time without a monopod.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 minutes ago, Daniel C.1975 said:

It‘s the same schematics, just the scale is different. Which does not mean the lenses overall are the same or perform similar. That‘s a different story 🙂

Plus: The quality of the mechanical parts is a major factor in image quality. These diagrams do not list glass types, nor do they specify coatings. It is highly improbable that Leica would not have improved on the basic design.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

They are not even in the same category use-wise. The 60-600 is HEAVY. I weighed my 60-600 on my SL2-S, and the rig is over 8lbs at 3692g. It's not easy to use for more than a few minutes at a time without a monopod.

That is actually not too bad for such a camera and lens, I would use it without hesitation.

11 minutes ago, jaapv said:

That is actually not too bad for such a camera and lens, I would use it without hesitation.

It is definitely workable to shoot handheld, but I do have to take occasional breaks to rest my left arm. It does help reduce fatigue to hold the lens by the end of the lens barrel near the hood instead of holding it further back toward the camera.

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

Very good point. I had both the 150-600 & 100-400 Sigma , but my copy of the latter was constantly missing focus. I sent the 100-400 back and quickly realized that its size, weight, and focal length had been really useful. 

Isn’t this Leica’s first variable lens above 280? I say congratulations 🎉 my preorder is in. 

Edited by Shawn30
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

Leica has been using outside lens designs since before WW II... Does that answer your question?

Yes but what makes a Leica lens a Leica lens? The badge? (signifying the top top optical performance) or the price? (Being very expensive relatively) 

Repackaging a $500 lens into a $2000 takes a lot of pixie dust. I don’t think I can rationally buy new Leica lenses anymore at the price point they are. 

33 minutes ago, sebben said:

Yes but what makes a Leica lens a Leica lens? The badge? (signifying the top top optical performance) or the price? (Being very expensive relatively) 

Repackaging a $500 lens* into a $2000 takes a lot of pixie dust. I don’t think I can rationally buy new Leica lenses anymore at the price point they are. 

*$849 USD at B&H for the L-mount version.

I won't say it's rationally worth the price difference, but the Leica version should have better weather sealing, higher build quality, faster/better AF on SL2/SL2-S bodies, and perhaps some optical tweaks including coatings.

That said, the lack of a lock switch is a big minus for me. 

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

I won't say it's rationally worth the price difference, but the Leica version should have better weather sealing, higher build quality, faster/better AF on SL2/SL2-S bodies, and perhaps some optical tweaks including coatings.

I was talking more in general about the new Summicrons and the zooms. What bothers me most is how inconsistent all the designs are becoming. For example the direction of the zoom changes from lens to lens as does the location of the focus ring. Sometimes in front some times at the back.

Imagine if they start putting some of the aperture rings on the M lenses near the mount! 

What a messy porridge Leica is making!

Honestly this seems to me that the company is focusing more on generating profit for shareholders rather than make thoughtful products for its unusually passionate users. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, analogfilms said:

I counted 22 elements for both lenses, looks basically same

Leica PDF: 22 elements in 16 groups

Sigma website:  21 elements in 15 groups

Overall design remarkably similar. Focusing assembly seems to be a bit different, and the rear element is different.

Edited by JeffWright

33 minutes ago, JeffWright said:

Leica PDF: 22 elements in 16 groups

Sigma website:  21 elements in 15 groups

Overall design remarkably similar. Focusing assembly seems to be a bit different, and the rear element is different.

Says 22 / 16 on Sigma’s website

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not really a telephoto kind of user however I am interested in this lens for a few projects coming up. Can anyone say about how the minimum aperture for this lens and relevant ISO setting might work, especially in lower "non contrasting" light. It would seem that ISO settings would need to be relatively high such as 800-3200?

Best

Ken  

3 hours ago, hdmesa said:

I have owned the 16-35, 24-90 & 90-280 for nearly two years and have experienced no lens creep.  As everyone knows, none of the three have a lock switch.

• Thanks 1