New Leica SL Telezoom: Leica Vario-Elmar- SL 100-400 f/5-6.3

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica Camera presents a new telezoom lens for L-Mount: Leica Vario-Elmar-SL 100-400 f/5-6.3.

With the Leica Extender L 1.4x, which will be introduced at the same time, the maximum focal length can even be extended to 560mm.

The new Leica Vario-Elmar-SL 1:5-6.3/100-400 will cost €2,200 or $2,195, while the Leica Extender L 1.4x will cost €900 / $875. Both products are available immediately, for example at B&H PhotoVideo: Vario-Elmar-SL 100-400Extender L 1.4x.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica expands the SL-System lens portfolio with a compact telephoto zoom lens with a focal length of 100-400mm or up to 560mm thanks to a new 1.4x extender.

Wetzlar, 9th March 2023. For over 150 years, Leica Camera AG has been crafting lenses that stand as pioneering precision tools, continuously pushing the boundaries of what is technically possible. Creative people rely on Leica cameras and lenses to capture their view of the world in outstanding image quality with the unmistakable Leica look. Now, the new Leica Vario-Elmar- SL 100-400 f/5-6.3 telephoto zoom lens and the new Leica Extender L 1.4x once again expand the freedom and flexibility of photography and videography with the SL-System.

The new Vario-Elmar-SL 100-400 f/5-6.3 offers the widest zoom range of the SL-System and combines high-end technology with all the advantages of a particularly compact and lightweight design. Its range of applications is extremely versatile. Above all, it shines in nature, wildlife, sports and action photography. It is characterised by its high performance and high image quality over the entire zoom and aperture range. The optical image stabiliser ensures blur-free images and the autofocus focuses precisely on moving objects.

The Vario-Elmar-SL 100-400 f/5-6.3 has an ARCA-SWISS compatible, detachable tripod base that can be inserted directly into a suitable coupling system without a quick-release plate. This provides a secure hold at all times when photographing or filming with a tripod. A lockable tripod clamp also allows the lens to be fixed securely at any angle. The clamp locks every 90 degrees for quick changes between landscape and portrait formats.

As an additional option, the new Leica Extender L 1.4x extends the focal length of the Vario- Elmar-SL 100-400 f/5-6.3 even further to a range of 140-560mm. With its compact dimensions, it fits in any bag to quickly and flexibly form a powerful unit with the lens. Both the extended focal length and the aperture are written into the image data as usual, to ensure that they show the actual settings used.

The new SL lens, whether on its own or in combination with the Leica Extender L 1.4, complements the SL-System, as well as the L-Mount portfolio, with a versatile, powerful and compact lens that captures images and videos in unique quality.

Both products globally at Leica Stores, the Leica Online Store and authorized dealers starting now.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MediaFotografie said:

no, now we have the data sheet, extender cn only used with the new 100-400

Thanks.  Odd that both are L mount lenses.  The extender should work with all.  But I get it.  The circuitry in the lens and the extender enable them to communicate.

• Like 1

Just now, graeme_clarke said:

Now I'm wondering - will the new Sigma 60-600 give as good results and be better value for money than this lens + 1.4 extender????

Graeme

I'm sure it will depend on the light and the f stop sacrifice with the extender.  Probably lose a stop or two with the extender.  Interesting to learn.  I preordered.  What attracts me to this is it's much smaller than the 60-600.  I can pack the 100-400 and the extender in my backpack and save a lot of room compared to the 60-600 or 150-600.  It will be interesting seeing the comparisons when it gets reviewed.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 minutes ago, MediaFotografie said:

no, now we have the data sheet, extender cn only used with the new 100-400

not that my opinion counts, but I find this very annoying that the extender does not work with the 90-280.

it is a great Lens, very expansive as well, and it would be nice for customers who invested in such gear to be able to expand its usability…

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, tedwill said:

Thanks.  Odd that both are L mount lenses.  The extender should work with all.  But I get it.  The circuitry in the lens and the extender enable them to communicate.

Universal extenders were popular in the 1980s, but they never worked well. It's been the case for at least 30 years that decent extenders (the only ones worth buying/using) are only physically compatible with a small number of lenses, and only "recommended" with a sub-set of these.

There are lots of tests online showing how the wrong extender produces worse images than using no extender at all.

• Like 1

I have absolutely no use for something like this, but for someone who does getting the lens and the extender for around $3,000 is a good deal.  I kind of expected to see the lens alone going for closer to $5,000 or more.  

26 minutes ago, John Horsley said:

I have the Sigma DG DN 100-400, is the Leica lens a badge engineered version of this lens, same number of elements and groups, same apertures?

I would not be surprised given the price. 

• Like 8

vor 17 Minuten schrieb jaapv:

I would not be surprised given the price. 

yes, first Sigma, second Leica

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Keep in mind: the Leica L 24-70 f2.8 is a much better lens than the Sigma L 24-70 f2.8. That is if you are willing to pay the difference in price. Yes, both are made in Japan,

and probably in the same factory, but the finish and feel of the Leica lens is much more suited to be on a Leica body. And the Leica lenses are made to Leica specs, however small that may be, I have to think they do make a difference. 😎

• Like 1

I have the Sigma version of this lens and its a good lens but not Leica caliber quality for sharpness and various aberrations. I'm a little disappointed we haven't been getting more optically designed by Leica glass as of late. Where are the 21 and 24 APO Summicrons? I would lover another SL Summilux besides the 50 as well in the future.

• Like 1

The alternative: Sigma’s 100-400 f/5-6.3 telephoto lens for the L system

The new Leica Vario-Elmar appears to have a very similar optical specification to the Sigma 100-400 f/5-6.3. The housing is typical Leica, more streamlined than the Sigma. The biggest difference is in weight, with the Leica turning the scales at 1530g (without hood) compared with the Sigma’s 1139g. This suggests a sturdier construction to justify the additional cost. As usual, there could also be differences in the standards of the optical elements. The Sigma 100-400 is available for £849, and the 1.4 extender costs £329.

2 minutes ago, Robert E said:

The alternative: Sigma’s 100-400 f/5-6.3 telephoto lens for the L system

The new Leica Vario-Elmar appears to have a very similar optical specification to the Sigma 100-400 f/5-6.3. The housing is typical Leica, more streamlined than the Sigma. The biggest difference is in weight, with the Leica turning the scales at 1530g (without hood) compared with the Sigma’s 1139g. This suggests a sturdier construction to justify the additional cost. As usual, there could also be differences in the standards of the optical elements. The Sigma 100-400 is available for £849, and the 1.4 extender costs £329.

Would the Sigma TELE CONVERTER TC-2011 work on the Leica 100-400 for a 2x conversion?

Has Leica given up on being a lens designer?

Are we in a new age where Leica is just a badge?

No doubt the Leica versions are nicer due to attention to details. Using metal instead of plastic for a nicer feel and so on. Some software tweaks so they work with the SLs a little better.

But this all leaves a weird taste in my mouth considering the prices they are charging for which is essentially a repackage of a much cheaper third party optic. 

• Like 8