damaged Leica 12585 lens hood

marcus112

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, 

I saw this damaged hood on ebay going for a fair price. The seller assured that it doesn't show any issues when mounting and taking it off from the lenses (in my case a first edition Elmar 50 2.8). And even if it did I can always send it back for this reason.

I guess it protects from flares just like a mint one or shall I just spend three times more for one without dents? I even like it more in this condition 🙈

Thanksss

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

12 hours ago, marcus112 said:

Hello, 

I saw this damaged hood on ebay going for a fair price. The seller assured that it doesn't show any issues when mounting and taking it off from the lenses (in my case a first edition Elmar 50 2.8). And even if it did I can always send it back for this reason.

I guess it protects from flares just like a mint one or shall I just spend three times more for one without dents? I even like it more in this condition 🙈

Thanksss

I have one that is dented much worse. It still works as intended. And it is better than the chinese ripoffs

Edited by dpitt
  • Like 2

5 minutes with a pair of pliers and it will be as good as new. I prefer hoods which are cheap myself simply because they owe you little when you lose them.

Edited by pgk

The 12585 hood is made to be reversed for transportation. You may wish to make sure that this feature is not lost on this dented copy. Also that the springs are strong enough to prevent any drop of the hood. In this case i'm not sure you would see the difference but better to have an hood in dented condition than a lost one.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This one is pretty beat up, but it is amazing what you do with a wooden dowel. You can restore the circumference fairly well with a 3/4” one by working it by bending it gradually over the dowel. Using a smaller diameter one (like a larger pencil) to open up and restore the “vent” slot opening.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

There are also knock-offs of the design. (Any patents expired long ago.) Quality is nothing like Leica though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132048206117

My China-made 12504 copy looks well made and works fine i must say but i have no experience with this 12585 copy. Interesting to notice that it has two detachable halves though, which is not the case for most genuine 12585 hoods. 

Maybe, but the price should reflect the condition. I have three Heavystar vented hoods which are close to perfect, certainly less prone to dent or deform than the Leica hood. 

It will work but a lot depends on how much is being asked for it and how much you care for aesthetics. If it really is dirt-cheap then I'd go for it.

By a strange coincidence a snap I took yesterday for a different thread had, within it, a top-view of my longest-serving 12585. It has lived a very difficult life but still works with a 50mm lens just as good as my near-mint example. This is how it looks after most of the dents were removed......[blush]......

Philip.

• Like 2

Considering the hood is designed to be used with 35mm focal length lenses as well as 50mm, the bent edges are not likely to intrude into the picture with a 50mm lens. As stated it can be bent straighter with a little work. Anyway I like well worn things better than mint looking ones.

• Thanks 1

Oh, you got me started @marcus112 🙂 

Here is a little cavalcade of shades for the 50mm f/2.0 Rigid. I have three original 12585 hoods ... and a few others. 

The original beaten-up Model 12585:

A replacement, well used but fairly straight Model 12585:

A mint edition I got for better days, and to be sure never to run out of them, beautiful as new Model 12585:

The original one for my lens was this one that I don't like the look of at all, Model IROAA:

And then I made my own E39 Ventilated Shades E39 with 46mm filter thread in the front, Always Wear A Camera". Silver E39:

Black E39: (well used):

RED E39 ventilated shade:

Brass Black Paint E39 ventilated shade: (well used, mostly on my 50/2 APO Black Paint LHSA):

And I also have the E39 no 12549 made for the 50mm collapsible. A fun shade, and beautiful, but I seldom use it for any lens. 

• Like 4

Wow. Nice collection of hoods @Overgaard
I like the ones with 'character' best. They get used without hesitation when the others sit on the shelf, looking pretty.

My beat up one was picked up with a set I bought, it was even more dented when I got it.